• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are really laying it on thick with the “IB/PE ballers” statement in every post you make. Is this a phrase coined by yourself that you are besotted with? Or am I missing something here?
Not only is it a clear troll account (possibly with choco branded, but not directly created, humour) but it is specifically targeted at Foo.

dan'l

Reaction score
The idea of purpose-driven watches is interesting and the Breitling Emergency previously mentioned is valid:

B0154365-0B94-4A65-B6B8-051AD768A83B.jpeg

Steve Fosset wore one when he attempted to circumnavigate the globe in a hot air balloon. I suppose it doesn‘t really count as a complication, since the emergency beacon is just added to the watch case.

Another example I can think of is the watch Tag developed with Tiger Woods:

10FC3924-85AB-4C53-87D5-1C000C920298.jpeg

The clasp is integrated into the back of the case to make the watch slimmer and lighter, supposedly to interfere less with Tiger‘s swing. Too bad it‘s quartz, but still a clever idea. Of course if we are talking „golf“ watches, I‘d rather have Bubba Watson‘s RM.

an draoi

Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
Congrats!

Diese Uhr fickt völlig, mein Bruder

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why settle for a Seiko that is merely Grand, when you can have the King!

-25 / +15 seconds a day—for $2000? That’s ******* embarrassing and hardly befitting a watch with a royal title. Why even publish numbers like that? Just say: “It generally tells the time!”

679F64E3-7FC6-49A3-9A62-015E37EC6AE1.jpeg

thuhoan

Reaction score

-25 / +15 seconds a day—for $2000? That’s ******* embarrassing and hardly befitting a watch with a royal title. Why even publish numbers like that? Just say: “It generally tells the time!”

View attachment 1743140

I hear what you say, but it's a good looking watch though. Many design similarities with the current GS and the angular bracelet reminds me of RO.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next step is an initial price quote and confirmation of specifications. Then they provide a mock-up of the watch. You get two rounds of revisions before details are locked in and the price is finalized. You pay half upfront, which is non-refundable, and pay the balance on delivery.

I’ve heard of instances where clients receive sample dial blanks to choose between, but I don’t know if they’re going to do that for me.

Also, fun stuff: the watch gets its own unique reference number.
If you don’t mind me asking, how did this come about? My wife likes a specific Cartier model but with a different dial/two tone but different material and I didn’t know this was even a possibility

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking, how did this come about? My wife likes a specific Cartier model but with a different dial/two tone but different material and I didn’t know this was even a possibility

If you don’t ask for what you want, you’ll
never get it :)

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen that recent Hodinkee feature with Ben C and Ed Sheeran?

At one point Ed is kind of like “I’m a douche bag and RM is too douchey for me, so...draw your own conclusions...”

Ed is a douche. So, no need to take him too seriously here, but a point is being made...

I did actually. Also thought it was kind of funny even Ed Sheeran had to wait 5 years for a Tiffany stamped Nautilus and that when he asked about one of the new Tiffany dials he was basically told "we'll see"

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1743140

I think it is a really nice looking Seiko. But yeah, the accuracy is unacceptable IMO. For me, COSC, or around COSC, is an absolutely necessity.

Nonetheless, this is a heck of a daily wearer, and would be a great option for a one-watch.

1643122379158.png

This brings me to another niggle, however - and one that this watch addresses. I think it is ridiculous for any watch now-a-days to be released without a power reserve in excess of 60 hours. A 30ish to 40ish power reserve just isn't cutting it for me.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is a really nice looking Seiko. But yeah, the accuracy is unacceptable IMO. For me, COSC, or around COSC, is an absolutely necessity.

Nonetheless, this is a heck of a daily wearer, and would be a great option for a one-watch.

View attachment 1743204

What makes this better aesthetically than a million other time only watches you can buy? I mean, it's got a clean look and I'm sure it's nice in person, but it's not exactly interesting. I have the same opinion of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual...there's nothing there, it's just a watch that could have been made by 100 other companies.

thuhoan

Reaction score
What makes this better aesthetically than a million other time only watches you can buy? I mean, it's got a clean look and I'm sure it's nice in person, but it's not exactly interesting. I have the same opinion of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual...there's nothing there, it's just a watch that could have been made by 100 other companies.

I don't think every watch needs to be "interesting". As long as it is interesting to the owner, that should be enough. Define interesting though. OP's design stood the test of time, that could be something interesting.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1743140

Maybe Seiko wanted to keep it historically accurate with the ****** time specs.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think every watch needs to be "interesting". As long as is it interesting to the owner, that should be enough. Define interesting though. OP's design stood the test of time, that could be something interesting.

No, not every watch has to be interesting. But if I'm spending multiple thousands on a watch, I don't want something that looks like any mall brand could have put out.

What specifically is appealing about that King Seiko, for instance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics