• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear my explorer mountain climbing for the same reason that almost no one wears a sub to go diving (@ronscuba). When I say new design, you are probably thinking a typical Rolex in 304 steel with an oyster case and oyster bracelet. I am thinking of something that's actually different but it's preposterous to even discuss since we all know that Rolex isn't interested in making new watches.

For starters, why won't Rolex make a carbon case? RM has carbon cases that weigh just a few grams and also form the baseplate for movements. That's interesting. A small change in lug width, bezel material or whether to polish centerlinks is not compelling to me but that's all Rolex has for us. Apart from incremental improvement to its movements, what's the most interesting thing Rolex has done in the last few decades? Probably ceramic bezels. And ... that's it. I think the Pelagos is more interesting than anything Rolex has done in a long time.

To some extent, discussing my views here is like talking about which bespoke suit is best for playing basketball. It makes sense that most people enjoy mechanical watches in a way that's congruent with the watches being offered by the industry leaders. I am more interested in the mechanical side (but not the traditional hallmarks of movement quality like hand finishing and 18th century complications) than the aesthetic details. I recognize that puts me on an island in this thread.
I thought the main reason most people don't wear a Sub or other mechanical dive watch for diving is because most modern divers use dive computers. I've worn Rolexes swimming (I don't dive). They got a few scratches, they survived.

If high tech materials are your thing there are other makers besides RM, who have produced watches in materials such as carbon, titanium, tantalum etc. RM is futuristic, but to me they seem like a lot of independents who make futuristic watches (Urwerk, MB&F, Vianney Halter etc) that are bold but weird looking. Although, looks are subjective and no watch can be everything to everyone.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Yes, I wear a dive computer so a dive watch serves no purpose. I also would not wear a nice watch on a dive because it would get scratched and banged up.

Last edited:

RobinMA

Reaction score
When I first became aware of RM, via their adverts in "How to spend it", the young IB/PE baller's weekend reading, I though they were a souped-up version of Hublot, in a 10-20k price range.

For me, they embody 2010s spirit, alongside souped up "supercars", steakhouses and "rap" artists with perma-scowl.

BlairW

Reaction score
When I first became aware of RM, via their adverts in "How to spend it", the young IB/PE baller's weekend reading, I though they were a souped-up version of Hublot, in a 10-20k price range.

For me, they embody 2010s spirit, alongside souped up "supercars", steakhouses and "rap" artists with perma-scowl.
You are really laying it on thick with the “IB/PE ballers” statement in every post you make. Is this a phrase coined by yourself that you are besotted with? Or am I missing something here?

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are really laying it on thick with the “IB/PE ballers” statement in every post you make. Is this a phrase coined by yourself that you are besotted with? Or am I missing something here?
Not only is it a clear troll account (possibly with choco branded, but not directly created, humour) but it is specifically targeted at Foo.

dan'l

Reaction score
The idea of purpose-driven watches is interesting and the Breitling Emergency previously mentioned is valid:

B0154365-0B94-4A65-B6B8-051AD768A83B.jpeg

Steve Fosset wore one when he attempted to circumnavigate the globe in a hot air balloon. I suppose it doesn‘t really count as a complication, since the emergency beacon is just added to the watch case.

Another example I can think of is the watch Tag developed with Tiger Woods:

10FC3924-85AB-4C53-87D5-1C000C920298.jpeg

The clasp is integrated into the back of the case to make the watch slimmer and lighter, supposedly to interfere less with Tiger‘s swing. Too bad it‘s quartz, but still a clever idea. Of course if we are talking „golf“ watches, I‘d rather have Bubba Watson‘s RM.

an draoi

Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
Congrats!

Diese Uhr fickt völlig, mein Bruder

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why settle for a Seiko that is merely Grand, when you can have the King!

-25 / +15 seconds a day—for $2000? That’s fucking embarrassing and hardly befitting a watch with a royal title. Why even publish numbers like that? Just say: “It generally tells the time!”

679F64E3-7FC6-49A3-9A62-015E37EC6AE1.jpeg

thuhoan

Reaction score

-25 / +15 seconds a day—for $2000? That’s fucking embarrassing and hardly befitting a watch with a royal title. Why even publish numbers like that? Just say: “It generally tells the time!”

View attachment 1743140

I hear what you say, but it's a good looking watch though. Many design similarities with the current GS and the angular bracelet reminds me of RO.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next step is an initial price quote and confirmation of specifications. Then they provide a mock-up of the watch. You get two rounds of revisions before details are locked in and the price is finalized. You pay half upfront, which is non-refundable, and pay the balance on delivery.

I’ve heard of instances where clients receive sample dial blanks to choose between, but I don’t know if they’re going to do that for me.

Also, fun stuff: the watch gets its own unique reference number.
If you don’t mind me asking, how did this come about? My wife likes a specific Cartier model but with a different dial/two tone but different material and I didn’t know this was even a possibility

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking, how did this come about? My wife likes a specific Cartier model but with a different dial/two tone but different material and I didn’t know this was even a possibility
If you don’t ask for what you want, you’ll
never get it :)

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen that recent Hodinkee feature with Ben C and Ed Sheeran?

At one point Ed is kind of like “I’m a douche bag and RM is too douchey for me, so...draw your own conclusions...”

Ed is a douche. So, no need to take him too seriously here, but a point is being made...
I did actually. Also thought it was kind of funny even Ed Sheeran had to wait 5 years for a Tiffany stamped Nautilus and that when he asked about one of the new Tiffany dials he was basically told "we'll see"

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1743140

I think it is a really nice looking Seiko. But yeah, the accuracy is unacceptable IMO. For me, COSC, or around COSC, is an absolutely necessity.

Nonetheless, this is a heck of a daily wearer, and would be a great option for a one-watch.

1643122379158.png

This brings me to another niggle, however - and one that this watch addresses. I think it is ridiculous for any watch now-a-days to be released without a power reserve in excess of 60 hours. A 30ish to 40ish power reserve just isn't cutting it for me.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is a really nice looking Seiko. But yeah, the accuracy is unacceptable IMO. For me, COSC, or around COSC, is an absolutely necessity.

Nonetheless, this is a heck of a daily wearer, and would be a great option for a one-watch.

View attachment 1743204
What makes this better aesthetically than a million other time only watches you can buy? I mean, it's got a clean look and I'm sure it's nice in person, but it's not exactly interesting. I have the same opinion of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual...there's nothing there, it's just a watch that could have been made by 100 other companies.

Featured Sponsor

Where do you usually take inspiration for your style? Choose up to 3 answers

• Styleforum & other menswear forums

• Instagram

• TikTok

• Reddit

• Fashion Magazines

• Fashion Blogs

• Friends & Acquaintances

• Celebrities/influencers

• TV Shows & Movies

Results are only viewable after voting.