• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

darkcharger

Reaction score
One of my recent acquisitions

Breguet Classique ref: 7137 BA/11/9V6

IMG_3056.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3056.jpeg
    IMG_3056.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 21

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My newest, and something I've wanted since last summer when this model came out.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, 18k Sedna gold, with the sunburst blue dial and Ceragold ceramic bezel. Liquidmetal 18k markers and hands. 5 day power reserve and silcone balance spring, Sedna gold rotor. Makes for a nice package and nice heft on the wrist

View attachment 1668583
Awesome. To me the Fifty Fathoms is by far the most beautiful of the "elegant" sector of dive watches. I don't dislike all 430 date windows, but I wish this one had no date at all. That being said, it really takes nothing away from that piece for me. Congrats on a stunner.

One of my recent acquisitions

Breguet Classique ref: 7137 BA/11/9V6

View attachment 1669449
Hell yeah. What a dial. What are your other recent acquisitions?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the old Fifty Fathoms design, and the smaller size. The old bezels (bakelite, perhaps) have a great depth to them and I really like the appearance. Unfortunately, they're expensive nowadays.

I agree the classic style Fifty Fathoms with as you described bakelite style bezel, and sword shaped hands had a certain charm, and were good looking. However, it it's price point there was always something else I'd rather own.

The more recent Bathyscaphe versions with the narrow bezel, rectangular hands, and tiny hour markers, just seem too stiff and sterile to me. Great quality, but they lose me with the design.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The prior VC Overseas chrono had a 12 o'clock big date. I think it also uses the same F. Piguet movement that the ROC uses.

Correct, the first and second generation Overseas chronographs used the F.Piguet 1185, which AP also used in their RO chrono as a base movement. They finished it to their own standards and both gave it a gold rotor.

maybe I am wrong then, I could have sworn though that I read this somewhere though.

The dates on watches using the FPiguet 1185 were sometimes at 4:30 as seen on the RO chrono and Chopards St. Mortiz Chrono...but it was commonly seen at 6 o'clock on watches such as Cartier's 38mm Pasha chronograph, Blancpain's Air Command, BP's Villeret, and VC's 3 register Historique chronograph. In addition, as mentioned, VC used the movement in 1st and 2nd generation Overseas models, but put grand date at 12.

1st generation Overseas
1631763980677.png

1631764052087.png

1631764604508.png

1631764167573.png

1631764197014.png
1631764370238.png

pmeis

Reaction score

I know I just defended the 4:30 date on a chrono, but this is actually the worst date on a Chrono or just about any watch IMO. Floating out from the edge, so you know the movement is too small for the case. Then actually at 445 instead of in the middle of the indexes. I'm not sure which is a worse offense (leaning towards the 445 placement), but regardless its as if there was no thought given to the date at all.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Awesome. To me the Fifty Fathoms is by far the most beautiful of the "elegant" sector of dive watches. I don't dislike all 430 date windows, but I wish this one had no date at all. That being said, it really takes nothing away from that piece for me. Congrats on a stunner.

Hell yeah. What a dial. What are your other recent acquisitions?

Thanks! I appreciate it! Because the bezel is slim on this model, it wears much easier as a day-to-day piece than any other diver I've owned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads