• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sashiko jacket from Epaulet. They're a SF affiliate vendor.
Just because you paid $800 bucks for something to wear once you get out of the shower doesn't make it more impressive.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many collectors struggle with the idea of spending a significant sum on a quartz watch (then again "Normal" people struggle with the idea of spending more on a watch than what an Apple watch costs :rotflmao:). Collectors hear the word quartz feel like they are getting a nice watch case, but nothing of substance inside of it. When reference WSAA0022 was released several collectors took to social media, praising the design, but said they would not entertain a model like this without a mechanical movement. Cartier gave them their wish, but as you know with a slightly larger XL case.

As for the thinness of the quartz version versus the mechanical, it is something no one will ever notice, not even you, and not even in a side by side comparison unless you get out a pair of calipers. The quartz model you are inquiring about is 7.3mm while the mechanical larger size is 7.5mm. The difference is about a 1/4 of a mm. So I don't think thinness should be a consideration in this as it is truly academic at best.

If you don't feel the XL mechanical size works for your wrist, well then I can see that being a significant concern that might push you toward a quartz version or maybe a different version from the past.

Personally, I like the dials of some previous models (the guilloche and the font for the Romans), and the flat bezel rather than the angled bezel appeal to me more than on the current model. However, that is subjective. The font and elongation of the Romans and non guilloche dial on the current model is closer in design to the original Santos Dumont watches of the early 1900s.

The only high priced quartz watch I've ever purchased was a Rolex Oysterquartz ref 17000. I owned a few Rolex watches and for me it was an interesting footnote in Rolex history. It was a first for them in many ways, the first steel Rolex to have a sapphire synthetic crystal, solid bracelet links, it was more antimagnetic than the famed Milgauss of the past, and it used a very high quality in house movement with 11 jewels and construction that did not look that different from other traditional Rolex movements except for the electronics and pulse motor. It also had a very distinctive case and bracelet setting it apart from other Rolex models. Funny thing about it was that even when wearing it into a watch shop or jewelry store, most people saw the ticking hand and thought it was a fake Rolex. Some had no idea the model even existed, even when I went into stores that sold Rolex. The only person that took a particular interest in it was a watch maker at an AP boutique. I had a question about a Royal Oak Jumbo, and the sales associate thought their watch maker would be better suited to answer the question. He came out answered my question, and then asked if he could look at my watch. So I let him look at it, and he seemed to be inspecting it rather closely while I continued chatting with the SA.

I do think changing batteries on older quartz watches can be a bit of an annoyance (although Rolex service centers at least in the US do it for free on their watches). 6 years between needing a new battery reduces the hassle of dealing with that. While that it an accomplishment, it still doesn't sell me on the quartz version of a current Santos Dumont.

I'm rarely someone who advocates a steel and gold watch, but I were going for a current Santos Dumont, I would consider the limited edition manual wind steel and gold "Le 14 Bis." It is ref W2SA 0015. It is a size large, not an XL, so it gives you the same dimensions as quartz ref WSAA0022, but with a mechanical movement and IMHO a more interesting dark gray sunburst dial.

I tried it on several weeks ago at a boutique. Maybe not for everyone, but they aren't making enough for everyone anyway. One thing that is nice is these newer pieces have a "Quickswitch" type system for changing straps. Anyway, wishing you lots of luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide and be sure to share some photos of whatever you choose. Cheers!

PS...my wrist isn't sweaty in the photos below. Due to Covid, they wrap your wrist in plastic at the boutique, prior to having you try on the watch.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/YNQhHlil.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/YNQhHlil.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/YNQhHlil.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/r3ZlkIol.jpg[/img]']
https%3A//i.imgur.com/YNQhHlil.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/YNQhHlil.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/YNQhHlil.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/r3ZlkIol.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/r3ZlkIol.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/iff0PpUl.jpg[/img]']

So how are you enjoying your new watch? ;) I told you I like that one.

Even in the large size not a small watch, but I'm sure it still wears great due to how think it is.

Curious if that is the grey strap? Looks black in your photos.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how are you enjoying your new watch? ;) I told you I like that one.

Even in the large size not a small watch, but I'm sure it still wears great due to how think it is.

Curious if that is the grey strap? Looks black in your photos.

Just to be clear, I did buy a Santos, but it is not he watch in the photos I posted yesterday. The watch in the photos I posted yesterday for the OP is the updated Cartier "Santos Dumont." I took those photos when I tried it on several weeks ago. That watch is a limited edition known as "Le 14 bis," in steel and gold with a gray dial. One can switch straps, but there is no bracelet for it. They say the strap is dark gray, but at least with the lighting in the boutique the strap looks very close to black. I posted it to show the OP that there is a mechanical version of that watch that is the same size as the large quartz model.

The watch I purchased is the Santos de Cartier with a blue dial. Its a more modernized and sporty version of a Santos and one can switch between a strap and a bracelet. I've had the Santos de Cartier for a little over a year and I really like it. It's water resistant to 100m, anti-magnetic, has an inhouse movement, and it is very versatile in terms of being able to easily switch between a strap and a bracelet.

Here is a photo the watch I purchased.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like tanks, these are not really my style. I can’t really say why other than the appeal or lack of appeal to subjective personal aesthetics. I still have to say that within that subset of watches it’s a great looking example right there.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried automatic version, but it was too big for my wrist. I also did not like date window on the dial. Quartz one just looked nicer to me. I really like this watch and don’t care about the movement inside ??‍♂️
View attachment 1467032

Nice Tank. Good for you about not caring that your watch is quartz. I think the most important thing about a watch is that you like the look first. Watches are jewelry after all so paying a boatload for an in-house movement and fancy finishing is dumb if you don’t love the look and size of it. Here is mine. Even smaller than your version.

C2762F90-9B82-41D7-B404-3270E354A3CE.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Tank. Good for you about not caring that your watch is quartz. I think the most important thing about a watch is that you like the look first. Watches are jewelry after all so paying a boatload for an in-house movement and fancy finishing is dumb if you don’t love the look and size of it. Here is mine. Even smaller than your version.

View attachment 1468258

I don't think I've seen that one in any of your previous wrist shots. Looks great! :cheers:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1468258

That looks vintage. How old is it?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s choice. I will forever think of TheFoo when I wear this Calatrava. To own a watch of the same case shape as TheFoo himself only adds to its distinction. It’s a bit like owning a Tiffany-signed Patek but more exclusive.

CCAE27F6-E504-4518-A888-F27802B12788.jpeg

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lange & Sohne Odysseus in SS ordered...I think.

Apparently it's an allocation piece but the AD that I bought my Zeitwerk from said I should be able to get one for delivery in late 2021.

Not big on the "allocation" thing as I think a lot of it is BS...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lange & Sohne Odysseus in SS ordered...I think.

Apparently it's an allocation piece but the AD that I bought my Zeitwerk from said I should be able to get one for delivery in late 2021.

Not big on the "allocation" thing as I think a lot of it is BS...
I always thought it was boutique only but good luck. Post pictures here if you manage to get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads