• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or alternatively ...

Hey Handsome don’t you look all dressed up!

Yeah I just came from a party and my wife just left me - what’s your name?

Anything you want it to be but it’s $200 an hour and the clock’s ticking so show me the money and lets get started!

(Damn, wish I’d worn my chrono!)

an draoi

Reaction score
Yours are special circumstances but seeing a watch on the right hand wrist looks wrong to me. WRONG I say!
Even if I was a sinister leftie I’d still wear it on my left wrist. Seeing Robert Redford films is like walking with a small piece of gravel in my shoe, just irks me! Unless you wear one of those weird Sub watches or the like with the crowns on the left of the watch the idea is that you can wind the watch while it’s still on your wrist. Try doing that with your left hand if your watch is on your right wrist!!
My understanding is that it's safer to remove the watch before winding (or adjusting the time) as winding it on the wrist can place unnecessary stress on the crown/stem. Especially for older watches where the metal may be more brittle.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it's safer to remove the watch before winding (or adjusting the time) as winding it on the wrist can place unnecessary stress on the crown/stem. Especially for older watches where the metal may be more brittle.

it’s recommended.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a perverse pleasure in the back-and-forth sniping on Rolexforums between those who already own desirable SS sports models and want to see prices remain constant and those who want to buy desirable SS sports models and want to see prices fall. :fence:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a perverse pleasure in the back-and-forth sniping on Rolexforums between those who already own desirable SS sports models and want to see prices remain constant and those who want to buy desirable SS sports models and want to see prices fall. :fence:

I don’t think it’s perverse at all. Why anyone would get caught up in a frenzy and pay 200% of MSRP just for the pleasure of owning a watch, then they should enjoy their purchase.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just shows the people buying for status/profit rather than true enthusiasts.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
It is a guilty pleasure of mine as well to peruse the Rolex forums. It is weird to see watches treated similarly to the stocks at Wall street.
Aren't these things made to be worn and used?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watches are not investments. They are luxury goods that you can enjoy every day that hold their value better than other luxury goods. (Just try selling your bespoke suit and see if you can get more than pennies on the dollar.) The notion that popular SS sports models would continue to sell for 70, 80% above MSRP indefinitely was lunacy, and those who bought with profit rather than enjoyment in mind deserve what they're going to get.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watches are not investments. They are luxury goods that you can enjoy every day that hold their value better than other luxury goods. (Just try selling your bespoke suit and see if you can get more than pennies on the dollar.) The notion that popular SS sports models would continue to sell for 70, 80% above MSRP indefinitely was lunacy, and those who bought with profit rather than enjoyment in mind deserve what they're going to get.
Agree totally. If I make happen to profit on the back end great, but I don't buy watches, clothes, cars, tech, and other toys to make a profit. I buy them to enjoy them.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been tracking this thread very closely, but I do see that SS rolex prices have begun to come down a bit. Do you all anticipate them coming back to right at MSRP in the next few months?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amen Brother. This should be stickied at the top of all Rolex-y and similar watch forum message boards. I love my watches but never bought them with profit in mind. If I wanted to do that I would have just invested in a load of S and P 500 stocks .... erm ... yeah!

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree about them not being an investment. One only needs to look at the vintage market to see that.

However, it is fraught with peril and an undependable and unstable Investment. I wouldn’t want to stake my retirement on it.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is weird to see watches treated similarly to the stocks at Wall street.
Aren't these things made to be worn and used?

There is a similar divergence of opinion in the world of firearm enthusiasts. You have people who spend a few thousand on a gun only to lock it away and have it become a "safe queen," although it generally isn't done as an investment strategy.

WSW

Reaction score
Apologies, Newb question:

I was wondering about opinions on wearing a watch on the dominant wrist?

I am right handed and have always worn my watches on my left wrist, as per the norm. However, I damaged my left arm/wrist when I was a young and it is slightly deformed. Hence, I've always worn very small watches (34mm or smaller).

I just got a Sub 114060 (yes the one with big lugs) in January and have been wearing it on my left wrist. I've been trying it on my right wrist lately. It feels and looks much better on my right wrist. I am assuming that 'fit is king' even with watches, so I should just go with the right wrist?

I should have googled it first before asking. This is nice article that helped answer my questions:

Yes, it is fine to do so. Just be sure it is a hardier watch like a Sub since you will be primarily using that hand and it will be dinged and scratched much more so than if it were on your passive hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads