• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Semi realistic:

Patek 3940p or 3940j
Lange datograph lumen
Rolex 16750

Last edited:

an draoi

Reaction score
You are wearing your dinner jacket. You have dinner reservations for 7.30 pm. You stop off at a bar for an aperitif. You don’t want to be late for dinner.

You’re at the party. You ordered a taxi. It will be arriving at 1.30.

It’s New Year’s Eve. Almost midnight, you want to be sure you have a full glass and come inside from the balcony to watch the balloon drop ... or step outside onto the balcony to see the fireworks.

You are a handsome prince. A mysterious lady arrives at your ball wearing glass slippers. She dances with you all night long but says she MUST leave before midnight.

You are a British secret agent. You’ve just set the charges to detonate the villain’s nefarious drug making operation and nipped into the adjacent nightclub to confirm with your contact and reacquaint yourself with the nubile belly dancer, but you need to check to make sure the timers are operational.

These menswear ‘rules’ - we can choose to take ‘em or leave ‘em as we please but the one about not wearing a watch with Black Tie is among the most nebulous for me. OK not a Panerai hockey puck but something understated, slim and elegant like a tank, nowt wrong with that in my book!

In my collection in the pic above, the one on the bottom right is an inexpensive quartz Pulsar that was my Dad’s daily watch for the last few years of his life.(He died on New Years Eve1982). Compared to my Rolexes it doesn’t have a great heritage or sexy movement or whatever but it’s wafer thin, slides under a French cuff easily and has the nice touch of a black dome on the crown plus of course the sentimental value of having belonged to my old man so that’s the one I wear with my dinner jacket.
I like to imagine that @NakedYoga 's night goes something more like:

"Honey, how long before we need to get home to the babysitter?"

"WHO F***ING CARES?!"

* pounds another shot *

NakedYoga

Reaction score
"I paid $5,000 for this bespoke dinner jacket and by God I'm getting my money's worth!"

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or alternatively ...

Hey Handsome don’t you look all dressed up!

Yeah I just came from a party and my wife just left me - what’s your name?

Anything you want it to be but it’s $200 an hour and the clock’s ticking so show me the money and lets get started!

(Damn, wish I’d worn my chrono!)

an draoi

Reaction score
Yours are special circumstances but seeing a watch on the right hand wrist looks wrong to me. WRONG I say!
Even if I was a sinister leftie I’d still wear it on my left wrist. Seeing Robert Redford films is like walking with a small piece of gravel in my shoe, just irks me! Unless you wear one of those weird Sub watches or the like with the crowns on the left of the watch the idea is that you can wind the watch while it’s still on your wrist. Try doing that with your left hand if your watch is on your right wrist!!
My understanding is that it's safer to remove the watch before winding (or adjusting the time) as winding it on the wrist can place unnecessary stress on the crown/stem. Especially for older watches where the metal may be more brittle.

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
My understanding is that it's safer to remove the watch before winding (or adjusting the time) as winding it on the wrist can place unnecessary stress on the crown/stem. Especially for older watches where the metal may be more brittle.
it’s recommended.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm taking a perverse pleasure in the back-and-forth sniping on Rolexforums between those who already own desirable SS sports models and want to see prices remain constant and those who want to buy desirable SS sports models and want to see prices fall. :fence:

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
I'm taking a perverse pleasure in the back-and-forth sniping on Rolexforums between those who already own desirable SS sports models and want to see prices remain constant and those who want to buy desirable SS sports models and want to see prices fall. :fence:
I don’t think it’s perverse at all. Why anyone would get caught up in a frenzy and pay 200% of MSRP just for the pleasure of owning a watch, then they should enjoy their purchase.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just shows the people buying for status/profit rather than true enthusiasts.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
It is a guilty pleasure of mine as well to peruse the Rolex forums. It is weird to see watches treated similarly to the stocks at Wall street.
Aren't these things made to be worn and used?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Watches are not investments. They are luxury goods that you can enjoy every day that hold their value better than other luxury goods. (Just try selling your bespoke suit and see if you can get more than pennies on the dollar.) The notion that popular SS sports models would continue to sell for 70, 80% above MSRP indefinitely was lunacy, and those who bought with profit rather than enjoyment in mind deserve what they're going to get.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watches are not investments. They are luxury goods that you can enjoy every day that hold their value better than other luxury goods. (Just try selling your bespoke suit and see if you can get more than pennies on the dollar.) The notion that popular SS sports models would continue to sell for 70, 80% above MSRP indefinitely was lunacy, and those who bought with profit rather than enjoyment in mind deserve what they're going to get.
Agree totally. If I make happen to profit on the back end great, but I don't buy watches, clothes, cars, tech, and other toys to make a profit. I buy them to enjoy them.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been tracking this thread very closely, but I do see that SS rolex prices have begun to come down a bit. Do you all anticipate them coming back to right at MSRP in the next few months?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amen Brother. This should be stickied at the top of all Rolex-y and similar watch forum message boards. I love my watches but never bought them with profit in mind. If I wanted to do that I would have just invested in a load of S and P 500 stocks .... erm ... yeah!

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Exactly.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.