• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My top three:

Semi-casual piece that mixes well with blues and browns.
0FF088B1-B919-4D4D-A917-CA66C753BF61.jpeg

Casual sports watch/beater:
A858F512-6BDC-44FA-A381-C9A070C99DE1.jpeg

Black suit/tuxedo watch:
4F6E9F40-3032-4C9D-8989-42312FC614BA.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they do produce it I hope they replace the seconds counter around the flange with a 24 hour timer, otherwise what is the GMT hand pointing at?

that’s the purpose of the AM/PM register though isn’t it? I don’t need a 24 hour scale. I know it’s 2:24 PM in my second time zone in the pic I posted.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I’ve mentioned this before but my categories would be slightly different:

1. High days and holy days - Platinum YM (got)
2. Suited and booted / daily work - Smurf blue sub (got)
3. Weekends - White face steel bezel Daytona (got)
4. Travel - Heuer autavia (got, but this place may be eclipsed one day by a Pepsi)

I thought if I was ever to start over and go for a ‘one watch’ it would be the blue dial VC overseas as they look fantastic on the internet. I went to the VC shop just to see one, they didn’t have it in but showed me a different watch with supposedly the same face and I was underwhelmed. Was hoping for a bright royal blue and it’s really a dull navy that doesn’t ‘pop’ at all.

01380D91-66ED-47E3-B2A3-3BFA15CEA7A4.jpeg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that’s the purpose of the AM/PM register though isn’t it? I don’t need a 24 hour scale. I know it’s 2:24 PM in my second time zone in the pic I posted.
I dunno I’m reaching that vintage when my visual acuity is eroding. Since the increments on 24 hours within an approx 40mm diameter watch face are quite small I could use the extra help just to be sure!

Edit - or is it just a second ‘hour’ hand revolving every 12 hours not 24 which is a novel way to display a second time zone? Interesting. Wonder what the functions of the second crown are? It’s still a nice looking bit of kit but the date wheel is a deal breaker for me.I hate those almost as much as I hate 4 / 4.30 pm date windows!

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno I’m reaching that vintage when my visual acuity is eroding. Since the increments on 24 hours within an approx 40mm diameter watch face are quite small I could use the extra help just to be sure!

but you don’t need to think of it that way at all. You only have to read the “GMT” hand as a second hours hand and use the minute hand to tell the minutes. There’s no need at all for a register for the second time.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that watch. One of the only rectangular ones I like. But I have to ask, if you're wearing a tux, do you really care what time it is?
You are wearing your dinner jacket. You have dinner reservations for 7.30 pm. You stop off at a bar for an aperitif. You don’t want to be late for dinner.

You’re at the party. You ordered a taxi. It will be arriving at 1.30.

It’s New Year’s Eve. Almost midnight, you want to be sure you have a full glass and come inside from the balcony to watch the balloon drop ... or step outside onto the balcony to see the fireworks.

You are a handsome prince. A mysterious lady arrives at your ball wearing glass slippers. She dances with you all night long but says she MUST leave before midnight.

You are a British secret agent. You’ve just set the charges to detonate the villain’s nefarious drug making operation and nipped into the adjacent nightclub to confirm with your contact and reacquaint yourself with the nubile belly dancer, but you need to check to make sure the timers are operational.

These menswear ‘rules’ - we can choose to take ‘em or leave ‘em as we please but the one about not wearing a watch with Black Tie is among the most nebulous for me. OK not a Panerai hockey puck but something understated, slim and elegant like a tank, nowt wrong with that in my book!

In my collection in the pic above, the one on the bottom right is an inexpensive quartz Pulsar that was my Dad’s daily watch for the last few years of his life.(He died on New Years Eve1982). Compared to my Rolexes it doesn’t have a great heritage or sexy movement or whatever but it’s wafer thin, slides under a French cuff easily and has the nice touch of a black dome on the crown plus of course the sentimental value of having belonged to my old man so that’s the one I wear with my dinner jacket.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's hard to express tongue-in-cheek online. In fact, it would be difficult for me to not wear that watch if I owned it.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy is this a tough exercise that probably shouldn't be. Almost better to be given a budget. Anyway, I could have gone crazier here (like Paul Newman's Paul Newman Daytona) and initially was going to, but at the end of the day I think I went with some "classics" that I don't think I'd ever get sick of.

Dress (though I'd wear it other ways as well): Lange 1 in platinum

169.jpg

What's nice about that watch is that you could switch out the strap to a nice Hermes grey, dark navy or even brown alligator and get some versatility out of it. As much as I was tempted to post a Lange 1 in honey gold, I just prefer this one aesthetically.

Sport watch: Rolex GMT Master II BLRO in white gold with black dial

rolex-pepsi-white-gold-116719-BLRO.jpg

If indeed the bezels are lighter than my current steel Pepsi bezel, I'd have it serviced and swapped out.

Casual watch: Rolex Daytona 116519LN

watch-club-rolex-cosmograph-daytona-latest-model-panda-ref-116519ln-year-2018-13282-2.jpg

Another caveat here, I'd buy the other white goal Daytona on a bracelet, have an independent watchmaker try that bracelet on here (does it really not fit???) and then sell the other Daytona. I also think a nice dark grey Hermes strap would work with this one.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy is this a tough exercise that probably shouldn't be. Almost better to be given a budget. Anyway, I could have gone crazier here (like Paul Newman's Paul Newman Daytona) and initially was going to, but at the end of the day I think I went with some "classics" that I don't think I'd ever get sick of.

Dress (though I'd wear it other ways as well): Lange 1 in platinum

169.jpg

What's nice about that watch is that you could switch out the strap to a nice Hermes grey, dark navy or even brown alligator and get some versatility out of it. As much as I was tempted to post a Lange 1 in honey gold, I just prefer this one aesthetically.

Sport watch: Rolex GMT Master II BLRO in white gold with black dial

rolex-pepsi-white-gold-116719-BLRO.jpg

If indeed the bezels are lighter than my current steel Pepsi bezel, I'd have it serviced and swapped out.

Casual watch: Rolex Daytona 116519LN

watch-club-rolex-cosmograph-daytona-latest-model-panda-ref-116519ln-year-2018-13282-2.jpg

Another caveat here, I'd buy the other white goal Daytona on a bracelet, have an independent watchmaker try that bracelet on here (does it really not fit???) and then sell the other Daytona. I also think a nice dark grey Hermes strap would work with this one.
Interesting comment about the Pepsi bezels. I had a convo with @George Red about the colours as there seems to be some variance. He said the older ones were brighter. I agree they can come off looking a bit dull and subdued but part of that may be the lighting conditions of the pic. I’d prefer if they were brighter like a Batman blue and a really bright scarlet red.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads