• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a nice watch but I couldn’t bring myself to pay $20K for it. If there was an opportunity to get it at MSRP I’d gladly get it and wear it.
Or get it as a gift and then leave it in a pile. I wonder if it's in the storage unit in one of the many smaller trays marked "MISC".

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or get it as a gift and then leave it in a pile. I wonder if it's in the storage unit in one of the many smaller trays marked "MISC".

All my Rolexes except for the Perpetual which I bought for my son were gifts. Partly because I couldn't bring myself to buy something costing only 50% a few years back. GS is the same actually thus I stopped buying.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my Rolexes except for the Perpetual which I bought for my son were gifts. Partly because I couldn't bring myself to buy something costing only 50% a few years back. GS is the same actually thus I stopped buying.
Well, I only have a sample size, Rolex-wise, of one, so, there's that. I have never owned a Grand Seiko.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
such a love/hate relationship with the Daytona in this thread
is it safe to say that it's the most often debated watch model on Styleforum?

Not really. There is a lot of love and hate for Rolex watches in general. Its not reserved for the Daytona. In the past the RO has been a watch loved by some and hated by others.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I only have a sample size, Rolex-wise, of one, so, there's that. I have never owned a Grand Seiko.

Speaking of the devil...
img_1539405201890.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
39133380002_0fdda0a91c_z.jpg

such a love/hate relationship with the Daytona in this thread
is it safe to say that it's the most often debated watch model on Styleforum?

and too many words
not enough photos
Those that stick in my mind are the Explorer and Calatrava but it could just be because of foo's tastes and more direct debating style. The Explorer even came up when discussing Roger Smith.

Daytona reactions feel more muted aside from the recent discussion about movement quality. The usual love it/don't get it, just like with the speedie.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those that stick in my mind are the Explorer and Calatrava but it could just be because of foo's tastes and more direct debating style. The Explorer even came up when discussing Roger Smith.

Daytona reactions feel more muted aside from the recent discussion about movement quality. The usual love it/don't get it, just like with the speedie.

We need a new Foo to get some excitement. There were years when I thought of SF and immediately thought of the legendary member even though I never joined his threads. I'm getting sleepy... yawn...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Calatrava and Explorer are more recent discussions, but in the past (there is an early part 1 of this thread), there were lots of discussions with people liking or hating the RO, Langes (mostly foo disliking), and the GO Pano. The discussion about the Daytonas is as you noted more muted.

Perhaps XkX felt the Daytona was discussion was very debated as he is a more recent owner. I've owned at least 1 form of Daytona since 1994, and I didn't think the debate about Daytonas was any big deal relative to other watches discussed here, or past discussions I have seen at TZ and other watch websites many years ago.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calatrava and Explorer are more recent discussions, but in the past (there is an early part 1 of this thread), there were lots of discussions with people liking or hating the RO, Langes (mostly foo disliking), and the GO Pano. The discussion about the Daytonas is as you noted more muted.

Perhaps XkX felt the Daytona was discussion was very debated as he is a more recent owner. I've owned at least 1 form of Daytona since 1994, and I didn't think the debate about Daytonas was any big deal relative to other watches discussed here, or past discussions I have seen at TZ and other watch websites many years ago.
There’s essentially no legitimate debate to be had on the subject, as people who actually know what they’re talking about overwhelmingly tend to appreciate Rolex, and that certainly includes their chronographs. :teach:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save for the Yachtmaster II, Rolexes are classically beautiful, almost boring. Debating their merits is akin to debating the merits of Charlize Theron. Now the Royal Oak—that’s a polarizing watch, the Gina Gershon of watches if you will.* I tried on a RO (I think it was the 15300) a few weeks ago, and didn’t get the appeal. Maybe I need to try the 14790 on my petite wrist.

*I happen to think Gina Gershon is beautiful, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn’t.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save for the Yachtmaster II, Rolexes are classically beautiful, almost boring. Debating their merits is akin to debating the merits of Charlize Theron. Now the Royal Oak—that’s a polarizing watch, the Gina Gershon of watches if you will.* I tried on a RO (I think it was the 15300) a few weeks ago, and didn’t get the appeal. Maybe I need to try the 14790 on my petite wrist.

*I happen to think Gina Gershon is beautiful, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn’t.

I think Genta designs are often an acquired taste. The Royal Oak has always been a polarizing watch, but then again so have most of Genta's designs. It took a few years before AP sold the first 1,000 ROs. Patek's Nautilus was largely ignored for decades by the masses and crapped on by Patek collectors as an entry level watch not worthy of the Patek name. Then there were rumors in the early 2000's that Patek was not going to make steel watches any more. Speculators jumped in this, values started to jump on the 3712 and earlier pieces, and people wanting to get in on that jumped on board...all the sudden there was a big demand. The Golden Ellipse has started to find some appreciation, and Patek issued limited editions this year. The Bvlgari-Bvlgari watch has never been loved by watch collectors, but its been popular with Bvlgari enthusiasts. Perhaps its a credit to the brands that bought Genta's designs that they stuck with these pieces even when they were not immediately embraced by their usual buyers or the public at large, giving later generations a chance to still buy new examples of these watches.

If a 15300 is too large, you should definitely try a 14790 or 15450. Its hard to truly appreciate something when it doesn't fit you properly. Even a 15202, which is 39 mm just like a 15300, fits fits differently on the wrist because of its flatter case, bracelet and overall profile. The RO may never appeal to you. However, I will say that its a watch that I've grown to appreciate more with ownership. You really notice all the angles, all the beveled edges, how complicated the bracelet and case design are, and all the work that goes into polishing these very intricate parts of the watch. When I bought mine, I initially thought its really a lot of money for a 2 handed steel watch. However, with ownership and noticing various details, I can now understand why it costs what it does. Its not for everyone, but its a watch I've NEVER experienced buyers remorse with, and although I can't subscribe to the 1 watch for everything mindset...if I had to this could be it for me (although, I'd still need a Rolex for ultra rugged activities, well and my Tank XL for very dressy functions...I guess I can't get down to one...but it was close).

BTW...I like Gina Gershon too.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was about to pounce on you and claim that you can pry my platinum YM off my cold dead wrist ... then I realised you’re on about that horrendous YMII thing with the 15 minute countdown bezel. Crisis averted!
I think they stopped making the grey steel and platinum YM like mine which makes it more appealing. If SF is anything to go by ROs are having their moment in the sun these days but they just don’t appeal to me. I think it’s the octagon shape and the exposed screw heads. +1 on Gina Gershon but haven’t seen her in ages so no idea if time has been kind to her!

Lumaca

Reaction score
Presage has absolutely left the poor man's watch camp with the new baby snowflake. Some observations:

1. The case is wonderful, sits flat on the wrist as opposed to the old hover-case of the 6r cocktails.
2. I hate the bracelet, omega-esque with the 2 polished line center link.
3. The price is bonkers. Twice the old Sarx, which was titanium with pretty much the same dial.

Pardon the crappy shot, was in a rush. Waiting for the movement to trickle down to the cocktails.

20181011_182014.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. For me, the Royal Oak was love at first sight. I was shown one, and was "This is the watch for me"! Then I was told the price, and I was "I'll have to think about it".

I like Panerai despite their size (G-shocks are an exception because they are G-shocks), and in spite of all the flack they get here. Might get a Luminor for Christmas.

Maybe I'm just visceral that way. The heart wants what the heart wants?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads