1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I used to wear their 40mm model for mountain biking every weekend for 18 months until it finally required service. And this is hardcore downhill over rocks and falling over cliffs etc. Imagine fapping for 4 hours straight. So ultra tough imo. Their newer models got issues with the lume tubes falling off though. I got this one just because it's under $1k and real carbon fiber composite case like those APs.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

2. Riva

I hope the Hermes horse dial wins

Screenshot_2018-10-11-13-16-13-59.png Screenshot_2018-10-11-13-16-21-83.png Screenshot_2018-10-11-13-16-54-64.png

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I used to do a lot of adventure racing in California, and the Ironman that I wore at the time held up incredibly well. I was/am a terrible rider as well, so that is saying something. I have permanent gravel marks on my knees and left elbow from some massive wipeouts.

4. Riva

I stopped because I needed surgery on my shoulder and right knee. Plus some friends have become permanently crippled or died. Wasn't worth it.

5. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

some thrills ain't cheap

surf_thewedge1.jpg

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Sorry, I guess that was my immediate reaction to seeing that 5100 movement exposed. Yikes. Not pretty.

Apparently I've never seen that one before and must have become more accustomed to ogling all of the (typically) handsome stuff that gets posted here.

I mean, I'm all for something that's a bit more ...utilitarian. And I do agree with the notion that a central seconds chrono is cool as a concept. So hey, as long as the case back stays in place :embar:

7. Riva

Actually being fit so less shopping for clothes plus the fact that you just have to spend a little gasoline made mtb a very cheap activity. Then other benefits such as never having flu for years, being able to sip tea in a tea plantation hut overlooking the mountains, some of the happiest moments. Fok would know. The dying part almost always happened because some assholes decided to cut us off when we're going down the mountain on the main roads. Humans are the biggest threat.

8. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    My new toy, Bulova Lindberg watch with enamel dial.

20181012_160220_HDR.jpg

9. Riva

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

I like the curved end strap on that "Lindbergh". Is it custom?

Also curious as to how that that piece might relate to the Longines version; I don't recall ever seeing one before.

11. Medwed

I didn't find anything on this watch either. Other than it looks almost identical to Longines Lindbergh.
    The strap is from another watch and has built in plastic end links under the leather. I wish I bought a couple of these straps when I found them. If clicked into first position the end links are completely flush with the case , similar to how steel bracelet would fit.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You know what I hate about auctions? Reserves. Either start the price higher, or have no reserve. Starting an auction low but having a high reserve just seems to be unsporting. I don't know what you are willing to take. Why don't you just tell me?

13. Medwed

My biggest pet peeve are auctions with stupidly hi starting prices. Why have an auction at all. Juts put a retail price on every item and hire shop-assistant.

14. Scuppers

Scuppers New Member

Heritage Auctions, try them. The reserve is the starting price - currently watching 2 watches within ongoing auction.
    However, they do drag out their auction longer than Christie’s & Sotheby’s online auctions.

15. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

On ebay you can put a high bid to find the reserve price and then cancel the bid.