• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which specific models?

Photos would be great (doesn't have to be your own).
You can have one.

1683163037662.png

Closest I could get to Kikuo Ibe's.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can have one.

View attachment 1951425

FFS stop tipping-off these rich schmucks just so they can ruin yet again like every damn thing else for us discerning Poors who have more an intrinsic sense for quality-value. Don't let the rat out of the hag.

LOOK & LISTEN TO *ME* GUYS!

The Crown is King; only a King gets to wear a Crown right? So irrefutable logic follows immutably Crown = King.

Swiss & German watches are the only good watches and should occupy your attention exclusively and for all time.

That is all.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one Seiko I'm still looking for is the SBQJ015. Titanium perpetual calendar HAQ with GMT, and the thinnest and most understated of that series. It goes as soon as it's posted and for multiples of its MSRP. What happened to the Seiko that made these?

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the wrong GS for you to base your mistaken assertion on. I agree that this doesn’t overwhelm, but it’s not a watch that represents what GS does best.

I've handled lots of them and felt similar. They are cool, but for a bit more used you get into Breguet territory and those are better finished than Patek in most cases.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can have one.

View attachment 1951425

Thanks. Would still be interesting to see what other models have made the cut.

As for G-Shocks, I've been considering getting one for travels to the lawless frontiers of the world (London and the like).

Initial thoughts: A JDM model with screw down metal case back but still resin case and strap, no negative display, black and close to the original 1983 DW-5000C-1A design, but preferably with less colours, no Blutooth and I only need the most basic time telling functions - is the GW-5000U what I'm looking for? Any other matches?

Pic below, spoilered to protect the Richemont trash crowd.

GW-5000U-1_04.png

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for G-Shocks, I've been considering getting one for travels to the lawless frontiers of the world (London and the like).

Initial thoughts: A JDM model with screw down metal case back but still resin case and strap, no negative display, black and close to the original 1983 DW-5000C-1A design, but preferably with less colours, no Blutooth and I only need the most basic time telling functions - is the GW-5000U what I'm looking for? Any other matches?

GW-5000U-1_04.png

I just bought this watch for almost the exact reasons you describe above.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean if your goal is to fly under the radar, the philosophy would direct you to the cheapest model matching the characteristics you want, no? The DW5600E-1V is $50 on Amazon US. Your one is close to $300. 6x the money to remove a little hint of colour, thus making it a bit weird and noticeable. But the real under the radar choice is the F-91W which despite not being a "G shock" is quite tough, and slides under any shirt cuff (unlike the Gs). This is my lawyer's choice, for example.

That being said for travel there are two things that have changed in the last decade and changed my life and that is affordable roaming and connectivity on the watch. Well Uber as well, that's quite nice in new cities if you don't have a pickup on arrival. Roaming lets the phone pick up the new time zone and your watch then syncs with it. As a result I fly Garmin all the time now. I'd pick up an Instinct 2 Solar (or 2S if you want your cuffs to remain... unscuffed, ha, ha) in black, looks like a G shock, is almost as tough, infinite battery if sun-exposed enough, and as a bonus you can monitor your sleep on your trip and plan accordingly.

Setting the time on G shocks is a pain as you have to figure out what time zone you've landed in, whether they follow daylight savings, and then remember how to access both of these settings - I just look at a wall clock and pick the first time zone that shows the same time. Doing this on the supposedly 55 minute, in practice 25 minute Lufthansa layover at MUC or FRA (why do they bother scheduling these?) whilst running to the next gate is really annoying.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a plastic G-Shock will fly under the radar well enough for my purposes (whether $50 or $300). In fact, my IWC Mk XV is probably discreet enough for most uses.

As for the F-91W suggestion, I did get the - to my eye better looking - F-84W some time back but never really used it; it's just slightly too dainty. Of course, a G-Shock might just be too large for me - I guess I should just try one on sometime.

Thanks for your thoughts.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GW-5000U-1_04.png

[/SPOILER]

Oh it so is. 😍
IMG_20230504_180559.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52