• Our featured affiliate vendor of the week is Larimars Luxury Menswear Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, specializes in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check them out and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1837310

So I picked up one of my dream watches but there’s an issue with the movement. Seller is a good guy and refunded me but pretty sad about sending this back. The guilloche work and hands are incredible. Check out the guilloche split on the day/night indicator
Not my kind of watch, as I like simplcity and clean dials, nonetheless a great work showing high craftsmanship and skills.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Schwazer

Reaction score
Rising interest rates? No problem, Powell with a Rolex Submariner.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smitty woke up today and chose violence.
Thought the Mars time watch thing was a cereal box toy level of gimmick. Lots of great watches in their history of course.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought the Mars time watch thing was a cereal box toy level of gimmick. Lots of great watches in their history of course.
Based on what I read it sounded like ESA asked them for the functionality. It's certified and will be worn by personnel and astronauts in the ESA.
What other companies are making watches that are still being deployed in the field like this, that you can also buy as a consumer? Honest question

chocomallo

Reaction score
All complications are totally ******* ridiculous except for date and GMT!
May I direct you to this. I absolutely agree. Date, GMT, and, if manual, power reserve. Everything else is dumb. So if you want to be dumb, at least buy something outlandish, not a Patek chronograph or such.

There have been some great suggestions to your inquiry. I’d like to ask what complications are worth owning? I posted before that I’m essentially only interested in complications that I will actually use. So a chronograph is a pointless function I think. Moon phase too. I think date and power reserve if manual wind are good. Perpetual calendar is dumb because you probably have to service it before you get through the cycle. Why care about incremental improvements in the chronograph function of the Daytona movement if you never use it?

Unfacconable has made this point many times in a better way. So perhaps it’s rhetorical. Watches are ultimately personal.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ALS has updated their website and listed every watch as "price upon request"...what a pain in the a**

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just use the Google spreadsheet
Yea, just a gripe. I have a pretty good general idea and I could fill out the inquiry too...it just seems like it is being unnecessarily obtuse about their pricing even with the "base" models like the Saxonia and 1815 (and the ability to shift it on a whim).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what I read it sounded like ESA asked them for the functionality. It's certified and will be worn by personnel and astronauts in the ESA.
What other companies are making watches that are still being deployed in the field like this, that you can also buy as a consumer? Honest question
Likely some of the military/SAR stuff like Sinn, Marathon and such. Neat that ESA ordered some but not sure exactly why. For folks in control room? Motivation for employees to have buy-in to missions? Interesting but maybe a far cry from issued for use in space?

Anyway, don’t want to punk out Omega too much more but this watch tripped my BS sensor just like $1k fleece vests from Drakes did.

I’ll research the ESA thing. Wifey was there in Garching at the ESO a while back. She was working but I was along to goof off down in Munich!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Corduroy…who wore it best?

• @khughes44

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • @duke santos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @DavidLane

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • @Old Red

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • @Chadclass