• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlairW

Reaction score
How do we feel about the Speedmaster racing? I keep coming back to a speedy and feel like the 40mm size is a good fit for me as well. Should I be looking at something different or similar for any reason? There’s way too many speedy models to get my head around so I’ll ask you lot…
9C3BA484-8E4B-4DD3-BC81-E7D5A262345F.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do we feel about the Speedmaster racing? I keep coming back to a speedy and feel like the 40mm size is a good fit for me as well. Should I be looking at something different or similar for any reason? There’s way too many speedy models to get my head around so I’ll ask you lot…
View attachment 1742586
Watch is too fat for 40mm. It's like 15mm or 16mm thick.

jmbb

Reaction score
Very close to the top of my shopping list, to the extent I can justify having one. Torn between rose and white gold (40mm).

The blue enamel dial is also a dark horse to consider, probably in white gold. Dunno. Navy dials seem to be more practical in nature, so perhaps best to leave that for the Omegas of the world.

For what it’s worth I found the 37mm to be better balanced, though all else equal I prefer smaller watches (and have small-ish wrists; potentially related). The dial is already sparse and 40mm felt a little empty to me – if you’re talking about the wonderful sparkly blue one in 39mm then this might well be different, but I found that to be a tricky price increment for the dial alone.

I'm presently leaning hard toward Lange 1, but 1815 and Saxonia are still contenders - along with 5196p (need to see one in the metal) and VCT (going to try one on this week).

Of course, all great choices. Watches by SJX recently posted a thorough review of the Saxonia Thin, in case it's useful - that it was published about two weeks after I received mine was an effective way to tell myself I knew what I was doing.

Clearly, you have not spent enough time on this forum if you declined the privilege of owning a Patek Philippe. Do you have any knowledge of the history of Patek Philippe? What it feels like to have pure Calatrava blood coursing through your veins?

Alas, you are but Richemont swine. Just the sight of the gold chatons makes me physically nauseous.

Now, shifting gears: that is one hell of a watch! Is this the 37mm or 40mm iteration? I prefer the former, but YMMV. In my view, perhaps the most gorgeous time-only watch out there. And the 37mm iteration is something of a bargain! The hands are just gorgeous. I have no doubt it will be an amazing compansion.

Care to let us know your next targets? Lange 1815 Chronograph?

The real benefit of not buying Patek – no need to shield one’s eyes from blindingly bright Geneva stripes. Dull stripes save lives.

Mine is the 37mm (201.033), though the photo angles made this unclear – I agree this size works better, for me at least. For similar reasons (plus a dial shouting GANGRESERVE, surely one of the better words to be printed on a watch dial) it had been the old 36mm 1815 Up/Down, not the newer 39mm, that nearly tempted me away – but thankfully several months of sleuthing produced few good examples with box and papers, or else I'd have been even more paralyzed by indecision.

On next targets - it'll be some time yet, no doubt, if only to try and feign being responsible. Eventually, a calendar and a chronograph would be nice. For a calendar, I love the idea of a 5212A as more of a daily wear (disregard the above, I’ll wear sunglasses). Sadly, many others seem to agree, so the effective price is tough. Or an 1815 Annual Calendar, for pretending to be practical with that chunky button to advance the date - but, then, an 1815 Chronograph wouldn't make sense too... in the interim, I'll enjoy this one for as long as I can without such financially ruinous thoughts entering my mind.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 37mm Thin does have better balance. But I have 194mm wrists.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I be looking at something different or similar for any reason?

I think a lot of vintage omega is still well priced and attractive but I’m biased since I did that last week lol

物の哀れ

Reaction score
I think that the latest iteration of the Speedmaster Racing is much better executed.

1643008547064.png

1643008570102.png

1643008583819.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. Is there a general consensus on the sweet spot for case size to compliment/offset the thiccness?

What did you go for?
At 40mm I wouldn’t want anything over 14mm and even then 14mm is pushing it.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. Is there a general consensus on the sweet spot for case size to compliment/offset the thiccness?

I’m a little old school. 34-38mm is my dress sweet spot, and generally no greater height than 12mm (preference is 10mm and below).
For tool watches, it really does depend on the functionality. However, a diametre of 40mm (would i exclude 40.5mm, no, but a general sizer) is my limit, however stupid many may consider that, i just don’t enjoy huge watches. As for height, it would need a compelling argument to breach 14mm.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
First post! Picked this up some months ago after a long time deliberating on a first nice watch, and found this thread incredibly helpful during the process.

The aim was to go for a dress watch, something timeless to anchor an eventual set of two or three watches (famous last words). The target had been the steel MUT Moon, but after trying on the Saxonia Thin that was that---initial budget be damned. The 5196 and VCT couldn’t sway things; the 1815 Up/Down nearly did, before deciding that it would read too similarly to a not-yet-existing chronograph in the not-too-distant future (this is how it begins).

I love the brick-like density of the thing, how light reflects off the faceted indices, and that it’s so understated no-one will know they’re looking at a Richemont peasant.

View attachment 1742443
View attachment 1742458
One of the greatest dress watches of all time. Great choice.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1742586

I can’t speak to the exact measurements but when I tried on a different version of this watch it didn’t feel too thick at all. In fact i thought it was more comfortable overall than a regular speedy pro. I quite like these (although I would go with one of the panda dial versions and not the all black).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lol for better or worse, Cartier told me this morning that my special order Tank will truly be a unique piece, as nobody has requested anything remotely similar. Can’t say that about the couple of dozen “unique” Cintrees floating around the internet!

They also warned, quite ominously, that setting up the tooling to make the platinum case will be “very difficult” …

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tag gets a lot of hate, most of it justified. These new Aqua-racers, however, are solid entry level watches. Really well done, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads