• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the two, I favor the day date. I wanted to like the Sky Dweller, but it was a bit too large for my tastes. I tried the new SS blue and it was very nice.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a dressier watch to supplement my Submariner. Have looked at IWC, Omega, and Zenith but keep coming back to the JLC Master Control. Think the Master Control on the left would be considered "dressy" on a black alligator strap? Versions from a few years ago don't have the blue sweep hand which is okay but a hair casual to me.

I like the Ultra Thin on the right but am used to watches with some heft and, as someone pointed out earlier, might not like the dimensions and weight of the UT.

1638885697022.png

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a dressier watch to supplement my Submariner. Have looked at IWC, Omega, and Zenith but keep coming back to the JLC Master Control. Think the Master Control on the left would be considered "dressy" on a black alligator strap? Versions from a few years ago don't have the blue sweep hand which is okay but a hair casual to me.

I like the Ultra Thin on the right but am used to watches with some heft and, as someone pointed out earlier, might not like the dimensions and weight of the UT.

View attachment 1716190

Looks way better with the moonphase.

1638886247647.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks way better with the moonphase.

View attachment 1716191
Yeah, it does look quite nice, subtly gorgeous even. Moonphase complications are interesting but not altogether very useful to me. Neat, but I don't need the data. Same reason I don't really want a chronograph other than a Speedy for the historical connection.

Granted, I'm being fairly utilitarian in my thinking.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1716190

Both are perfectly dressy enough for all practical purposes (i.e. business wear, black tie, etc.). Neither are true full-on dress watches, as they both have a central seconds hand and a date window—but exceedingly few watches these days qualify and it really doesn’t matter.

Between the two, I prefer the regular MC. It has the better-executed design and dial layout. Weird for an ultra-thin watch to have a date function—and the date window in this case is also too close to the center of the dial. Looks like a compromise.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, it does look quite nice, subtly gorgeous even. Moonphase complications are interesting but not altogether very useful to me. Neat, but I don't need the data. Same reason I don't really want a chronograph other than a Speedy for the historical connection.

Granted, I'm being fairly utilitarian in my thinking.

Also, a moon phase takes the watch even farther from being proper “dress” watch—not that I think that should really matter.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

Would you consider other options? If I were looking for a round dressy watch in that price range, I’d probably look to the GS SBGW231 before either of those JLCs:

41C930E4-041E-4B84-9412-D38303C69963.jpeg

Case and dial finishing are nicer (though still by machine), box crystal imparts a beautiful vintage-like glow, and no date!

I am not generally a Grand Seiko fan, but the above really is one of the most special-feeling watches you can get for the dollar. JLCs, whatever their other virtues, lack that extra bit of fairy dust.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1716190

How about a vintage/neo-vintage Datejust or Day-Date on a leather strap?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've head some compani

View attachment 1716190

They make a great watch, but I'd rather have the standard Master Control. The Master Control is a piece that I think looks better with a bit of a beefier case. The MUT always comes off as a bit dainty to me. I also prefer the date placement and the blue second hand on the Master Control. I'd probably put it on a nice blue strap to go with the blue second hand. Wishing you good luck with whichever one you choose!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed White (as mentioned above) is a former astronaut and, like all US astronauts, he wore an Omega Speedmaster Professional moonwatch when he went to space, including when he became the first American to go on a spacewalk in 1965.

The Ed White watch is an Omega Speedmaster Professional moonwatch with a calibre 321 movement inside, based on the type of Speedy Pro that White wore back in the 1960s. Omega ceased making the calibre 321 about 50 years ago, when it changed to the Lemania-based calibre 861 movement. However, a couple of years ago, Omega announced it would start producing small numbers of the calibre 321 again. The watch is not cheap, though - it costs about 100% more than the usual Speedy Pro, has to be ordered in advance, and takes months to arrive.
One more fact about Ed White. He was the first astronaut to take an Omega Speedmaster in EVA (basically the watch was truly in outerspace and not just in a ship in space). That's why there's a lot of a significance with Ed White and Omega.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a vintage/neo-vintage Datejust or Day-Date on a leather strap?
I thought about those but Rolex is too faddish right now. Prices are insanely out-of-whack. Want to avoid the fish-eye date window for a dress watch as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads