• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are a bigger man than I. I sent it back for repair - thereby commencing the 6-8 week wait. Watchmaker for retailer confirmed an issue. Maybe I’ll get some freebie. A wee bit frustrated, but I guess these things happen.

One of the reasons I sent it back is the power reserve seemed to be impacted by the defect.

I hope it comes back working as you wish. I had to have mine serviced as well under warranty—something broke in the movement and it wouldn’t wind manually. The jittery second hand issue was there before and after. I also found that the micro rotor was too small to effectively wind the watch and it would unexpectedly stop sometimes. Nevertheless I really enjoyed the watch.

rab

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m looking for any input/advice/knowledge on this watch that I happened upon in my grandfathers old things. I’ve done some searching and can’t find any exact match online. Is this a real Omega? Any idea it’s age? Advice on restoration?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 85BE04AF-3F44-4E74-A2F3-B72A157C683C.jpeg
    85BE04AF-3F44-4E74-A2F3-B72A157C683C.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 51
  • E6D7EFA2-95EA-4EA2-8593-D60735AB09A9.jpeg
    E6D7EFA2-95EA-4EA2-8593-D60735AB09A9.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 59

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m looking for any input/advice/knowledge on this watch that I happened upon in my grandfathers old things. I’ve done some searching and can’t find any exact match online. Is this a real Omega? Any idea it’s age? Advice on restoration?
Thanks!

I’m about 99% confident it’s genuine. I’m not sure anyone would go through the trouble of knocking off something like that. Remember, it wasn’t that long ago when that was an “every man’s” watch.

My first thought would be an omega dealer or authorized service agent. Otherwise, if you know a reputable independent watch repair facility, try them.

It’s a nice watch. Get it fixed, wear it and make your grandfather proud.

rab

Reaction score
I’m about 99% confident it’s genuine. I’m not sure anyone would go through the trouble of knocking off something like that. Remember, it wasn’t that long ago when that was an “every man’s” watch.

My first thought would be an omega dealer or authorized service agent. Otherwise, if you know a reputable independent watch repair facility, try them.

It’s a nice watch. Get it fixed, wear it and make your grandfather proud.

thanks!! And no worries, no matter what, I’ll be wearing it.
I have some parallel lines going and took it to local/random repair shop. Popped the back off and said it was a cal 266 fwiw. Quoted ~$500 for a service.

Phoenician

Reaction score
thanks!! And no worries, no matter what, I’ll be wearing it.
I have some parallel lines going and took it to local/random repair shop. Popped the back off and said it was a cal 266 fwiw. Quoted ~$500 for a service.

Agreed that it's 100% real, and hasn't had its dial redone either, which is a good thing. One thing I would say....the cal 266 is a good movement and tons were made, thus spare parts are plentiful to those who service them. I recommended Nesbit's Watch Service in Seattle yesterday to a forum member, they've very good and reasonable. In fact, I have a watch going to them on Monday. That said, a new plexiglass crystal would instantly make the watch look better as it would eliminate most of that haze and scratches you see when you look at the dial. It's up to you whether to have the case polished, or left as-is; I think since it was your grandfather's you may opt to leave it alone, and cherish the scratches he put in it as he went about his normal day.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to be in the San Francisco/ Bay Area this weekend. Any local Cartier dealers besides the Cartier boutique? They are all booked up so can’t schedule a visit with them.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be in the San Francisco/ Bay Area this weekend. Any local Cartier dealers besides the Cartier boutique? They are all booked up so can’t schedule a visit with them.
Cartier website shows as watch AD's in San Francisco

JADE GALORE SAN FRANCISCO
3251 20th Avenue
Stonestown Mall
San Francisco, CA 94132
(415) 982-4863

and
SAKS FIFTH AVENUE SAN FRANCISCO
384 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415) 986-4300

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads