• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both those missives were mentioned in that AskReddit thread. The Cleveland Browns one is the absolute best though. Some law professor of mine found a way to shoehorn it into one of their lectures.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This showed up today after a two week spell at the U.S Customs resort at LAX.
IMG_1068.jpeg

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random note - I have a Cartier pasha seatimer which my wife bought me early in our marriage. It was due for a service and coincidentally Cartier was running a deal last year for the re-launch of the line for a free service. Brought it to my shop and had it sent in for service, engraved under the clasp (I’m never getting rid of it) and asked about replacing the link with the double C logo on the bottom of the clasp as it had long worn off.

The service and engraving were free and there was supposed to be a $50 charge to replace the link, which they then comped. Did a great job and didn’t over-polish. Would recommend.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, in fact that is exactly what I advised, since @HollyJoint wrote he had never owned or even knew the difference between different watch movement types. Glad you comprehended. And, yes, some people are pretty rough on watches, sometimes because they read others write or say inane **** like: "You can't overwind/etc., automatics...." So, yes, trying to be just a little bit helpful (unlike your snide self) just to balance out the bullshit.
Inane ****? Wind your neck in.

Plenty of evidence available for what I said.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In other news, I couldn’t help ordering this the other day. I have a soft spot for Waltham since I grew up in the area (yes, I realize this is Swiss). And I figure it will pair well with my Daniel Defense SBR.

View attachment 1620239
I posted this a while ago also. Cool looking watch. Please post wrist shots when possible. Waltham is legendary US brand.
P.S. Rt.128, Waltham, worked for several years in IT start up there.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of the watches are beautiful and I love the concept. But when it unfolds over the years that you are actually outsourcing most of the engineering and manufacturing, and using ebauches in some cases (e.g. the minute repeater, your most complicated watch!), while calling yourself a “manufacture” and marketing yourself as a new age Patek, it puts a very bad taste in people’s mouths.

I suspect similar things are true of many “independents”. Of course, there are the bona fide players like FPJ or Roger Smith, but I think they are exceptional.
Bit late to this one, but why do you care? In fact, I vaguely remember you were opposed to purchasing a LF you liked precisely because when the man dies, you don't know who will service it properly - but if it is mostly outsourced and he acts as a designer to a Louis Vuitton financed team, then great! Problem solved, continuity achieved. And when he dies and Vuitton turns it into Breguet, the Russians will bump prices into the stratosphere and you can even turn a profit inflation-adjusted.

Ferrier ultimately is making well finished, classically minded watches which I personally prefer to Patek's current line-up (however, saying this feeling like this preference is distinctly continental European - so totally understand your own preference for Ferrier's former employer). If your goal is just to own something nice...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I am Myra Breckinridge whom no man will ever possess. Clad only in my garter belt and one dress shield, I held off the entire elite of the Trobriand Islanders, a race who possess no words for "why or "because." Wielding a stone axe, I broke the arms, the limbs, the balls of their finest warriors, my beauty blinding them, as it does all men, unmanning them in the way that King Kong was reduced to a mere simian whimper by beauteous Fay Wray whom I resemble left three-quarter profile if the key light is no more than five feet high during the close shot."

My favorite author!
"They looked as stern and expensive as undertakers who had just collected their bonuses in an affluent neighborhood struck by recurring epidemics" - Vladislav Surkov

Guys, you are missing the point.

I wouldn’t have been bothered if they flat-out (but politely) told me the 5726 was reserved for existing clients. Though, this would have contradicted the fact that the tipster himself was not one.

What bothers me is: (1) the lying, (2) the posturing and attitude, (3) the personal insult, (4) the stupidity, and (5) the audacity to suggest spending $500K in order to “regain their trust”.

Also, you all are missing the most obvious explanation for this experience, which has nothing to do with me being some sort of psychopathic monster preying on luxury good vendors (I suppose kudos to the twisted mind that can make sense of that persona?). My guess is that a number of people followed the same lead and the dealer realized they were underpricing their offer—hence the sly attempt to exponentially up the ante.
“Humanity is doomed to be free. Come on, Sartre. You are free, I am free, everyone is free. Everyone is free to make a contract with anyone else and include any conditions in it. Once establishing such a contract, one is obliged to fulfill it.” - also Surkov

But this is the exact arrangement you’ve benefited from at your own AD. When people commented negatively you called everyone stupid for not understanding how the system works.
"Take your time. Maneuver. When attacked, do not engage in a fight. Oh, and one more thing – love your opponent." - Vladislav again

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bit late to this one, but why do you care? In fact, I vaguely remember you were opposed to purchasing a LF you liked precisely because when the man dies, you don't know who will service it properly - but if it is mostly outsourced and he acts as a designer to a Louis Vuitton financed team, then great! Problem solved, continuity achieved. And when he dies and Vuitton turns it into Breguet, the Russians will bump prices into the stratosphere and you can even turn a profit inflation-adjusted.

Ferrier ultimately is making well finished, classically minded watches which I personally prefer to Patek's current line-up (however, saying this feeling like this preference is distinctly continental European - so totally understand your own preference for Ferrier's former employer). If your goal is just to own something nice...

If Laurent Ferrier had been upfront about their outsourcing, they would not be facing this level of backlash—but they probably also would not have received so much attention and acclaim.

Quite evidently, the concepts of originality, heritage, history, propriety, craft, authenticity, etc. are very important to how enthusiasts evaluate watches and particularly intertwined with the appeal of independents. In other words, a core reason for LF’s original appeal was that you are buying a more pure Patek-like experience and that LF may grow to be tomorrow’s Patek Philippe. So, when the kimono opens up, and it turns out they are really just designers and finishers rather than watch makers (as Patek is), that fantasy quickly evaporates—despite the fact that the watches are perfectly nice from a quality and make perspective.

Furthermore, given romantic expectations of multi-generational longevity when it comes to the nicest watches, trust and credibility are especially critical. Laurent Ferrier has perhaps suffered most for betraying those two virtues.

It’s not just my personal opinion. Broader collector sentiment and the current market for LF watches reflect these views.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Laurent Ferrier had been upfront about their outsourcing, they would not be facing this level of backlash—but they probably also would not have received so much attention and acclaim.

Quite evidently, the concepts of originality, heritage, history, propriety, craft, authenticity, etc. are very important to how enthusiasts evaluate watches and particularly intertwined with the appeal of independents. In other words, a core reason for LF’s original appeal was that you are buying a more pure Patek-like experience and that LF may grow to be tomorrow’s Patek Philippe. So, when the kimono opens up, and it turns out they are really just designers and finishers rather than watch makers (as Patek is), that fantasy quickly evaporates—despite the fact that the watches are perfectly nice from a quality and make perspective.

Furthermore, given romantic expectations of multi-generational longevity when it comes to the nicest watches, trust and credibility are especially critical. Laurent Ferrier has perhaps suffered most for betraying those two virtues.

It’s not just my personal opinion. Broader collector sentiment and the current market for LF watches reflect these views.
What would you say has been the percentage price impact? Where could I find reliable data on current prices?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Wow, going way back for that inspiration. Looks a lot like those early wristwatches that were basically just pocket watches on a strap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads