• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not even Jesus could get a white SS Daytona from an AD. The son of God walked into an AD and offered eternal salvation for a white SS ceramic Daytona. AD said sorry let me put you down on the wait list. When Jesus left, the AD threw away Jesus’s information knowing that he wasn’t going to be a repeat customer.
Now there you go again, dressing up in robe and sandals with a big basket of Wonder Bread, aggrandizing yourself to the extreme and waltzing in to the store desperate to kop a watch, you charlatan! Those Rolex ADs are way savvier than we think, they know the real deals from the impostors even without a loupe.

"Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong..."
- M. Knopfler, "Industrial Disease"

:wink: (<--- Preemptive StyFo Sensitivity Disclaimer: this thing means "this post is intended entirely as a joke, no matter how bent o-o-s some readers might be, really....")

c0de

Reaction score
No-one, except for other people who like watches, gives a shit what watches we wear. I don’t think a gold Rolex would send any message if I wore one in a meeting because no-one would notice.
I would agree on stainless steel and platinum watches. A gold presidential would be much louder and much more noticeable than a platinum one, and will get noticed more by people who don’t know watches.
At least that’s what I’ve noticed, so empirical evidence at best.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree on stainless steel and platinum watches. A gold presidential would be much louder and much more noticeable than a platinum one, and will get noticed more by people who don’t know watches.
At least that’s what I’ve noticed, so empirical evidence at best.
The “loudest” watch I own (in terms of being noticed and commented on...) is an Omega Speedmaster 38 automatic. Haha...

I also wear a gold Omega and nobody seems to notice...

Rolex Sub? No one notices...

Rolex DJ? Nothing...

Nobody. Cares.

I’m def getting a Daydate and will wear it when and where I think it’s appropriate...

Now I’m going to throw on a Tudor and head out for the night...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s only because he couldn’t get a SS sports model Rolex.
If Jesus turned water into wine, surely he could turn a Tag into a Rolex?

c0de

Reaction score
The “loudest” watch I own (in terms of being noticed and commented on...) is an Omega Speedmaster 38 automatic. Haha...

I also wear a gold Omega and nobody seems to notice...

Rolex Sub? No one notices...

Rolex DJ? Nothing...

Nobody. Cares.

I’m def getting a Daydate and will wear it when and where I think it’s appropriate...

Now I’m going to throw on a Tudor and head out for the night...
I never owned anything gold, but that’s what I’ve noticed overhearing conversation. Like I said. Empirical evidence, so what do I know.

noticed or not, what matters is that the person who writes a check likes it, whatever metal, brand, or cult following it has or doesn’t.

goal is for us to enjoy, and always wear in good health.

Enjoy your night out. I can’t wait to do that too

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually my picture. I bought that Invicta in 2011 from the Invicta store located in the International Mall in Miami, Florida. I was 23 and in my first year in law school at the U. All my classmates had cool watches, and I wanted one, too. I remember walking in and buying this thinking, “this is the coolest fucking thing I’ve ever seen.” It cost me like $800, which was like $750 more than I had to my name.

That’s literally where my watch journey started.
View attachment 1606927

QUE VOLA, ACERE! If you know, you know.
That makes three of us.
IMG_20210508_180644.jpg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually my picture. I bought that Invicta in 2011 from the Invicta store located in the International Mall in Miami, Florida. I was 23 and in my first year in law school at the U. All my classmates had cool watches, and I wanted one, too. I remember walking in and buying this thinking, “this is the coolest fucking thing I’ve ever seen.” It cost me like $800, which was like $750 more than I had to my name.

That’s literally where my watch journey started.
That would be an interesting discussion. Ten years ago you bought an Invicta on credit to look cool, and now you've got a very nice and very expensive collection. I wonder, though, about the journey in between. When and why did you start getting more "serious" about watches? What was the evolution like? Any big regrets, missteps, or interesting stories along the way?

FYI I'm interested in anyone's response--your post was just the one that made me think of it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Enlightening list, actually: I think the change in human caliber (as it were) is noticeable once we get past the quartz era and Rolex becomes a blingy status symbol.
My father was a pilot during WWII and he had a Rolex. It was a work watch in those days. The price back then was about $125. After the war he gave it to a friend who became a pilot for PanAm.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Jesus turned water into wine, surely he could turn a Tag into a Rolex?
And what exactly do you think got Jesus into all that trouble in the first place?

Do you really think that Pontius Pilate was just some anonymous dude from the dusty hills of Samnium, and not a really tough patent attorney with an ironclad cease-and-desist order forbidding the conjuring of all those fake watches so desired by the merchants and money-lenders?

In fact, deep in the vaults at ROLEX SA, 3-5-7 rue François-Dussaud, 1211 Geneva 26, Switzerland, they still have the signed parchment proving that PP was appointed directly by God himself, who finally caved under all the pressure of Rolex's constant recriminations and threats.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be an interesting discussion. Ten years ago you bought an Invicta on credit to look cool, and now you've got a very nice and very expensive collection. I wonder, though, about the journey in between. When and why did you start getting more "serious" about watches? What was the evolution like? Any big regrets, missteps, or interesting stories along the way?

FYI I'm interested in anyone's response--your post was just the one that made me think of it.
Now THIS is an excellent question that could lead to some honestly thoughtful and pleasant discourse. However, I’m on vacation and too drunk to taste this chicken, so I’ll opine tomorrow.

c0de

Reaction score
Now THIS is an excellent question that could lead to some honestly thoughtful and pleasant discourse. However, I’m on vacation and too drunk to taste this chicken, so I’ll opine tomorrow.
I’ll go

I’ve always been into watches, but not expensive watches. When I was a kid I loved Swatch and Casio. I remember my mom would reward a good year at school with a nice watch. Fast forward to 2008, I immigrated to the US, I have a few fashion watches (CK from Macy’s) and I see an Invicta submariner replica/homage on the internet (slickdeals) for $50 down from $500, without knowing what a submariner is I buy it and wear it for about a year before my dad notices or on a visit so I gave it to him. Meanwhile I start researching watches and getting more and more into the intricacies of the movement. I fell in love, see I love anything mechanical. I decide that the perfect watch is a Speedy Pro. But who on earth pays 3-4K for a watch, surely no one is that crazy. So I do some research and land on a Tissor Visodate. Once I had that I fell even more in love and started buying and selling watches spending few hundred more each time, till I went through a ton. Homages, great pieces, mid tier luxury, then sold everything and settled on a one watch, in my case an Explorer in 2018. I have a bunch of reasons as to why it’s special to me, but it is.

meanwhile, my father passed away and the invicta is still at my parents home, ticking (believe it or not). I have decided, that is one of the most valuable watches I’ve owned, for what it means to me.

oh, and I never got the Speedy Pro.

pasadena man

Reaction score
I never owned anything gold, but that’s what I’ve noticed overhearing conversation. Like I said. Empirical evidence, so what do I know.

noticed or not, what matters is that the person who writes a check likes it, whatever metal, brand, or cult following it has or doesn’t.

goal is for us to enjoy, and always wear in good health.

Enjoy your night out. I can’t wait to do that too
From a Hodinkee DD review by Jack Forster, perhaps the most experienced American watch writer:

There is absolutely no question that this is the single most recognizable and most noticeable wristwatch I've ever worn, for review purposes or otherwise. It seems everyone knows what a gold Rolex looks like. Maybe it's because the phrase "gold Rolex" is so deeply ingrained via mass and entertainment media, and it seems to produce a seemingly instant burst of recognition in people who see it.
People ask if they can touch it; people ask if they can hold it (it's rather like having a newborn infant out in a stroller for the first time, come to think of it); people ask, "is it . . . yours?" in slightly incredulous tones. It has an impact out of all proportion to its presence as a piece of gold jewelry; as a display object, it is dramatically more impactful than just about anything else you can wear on your wrist

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.