• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s only because he couldn’t get a SS sports model Rolex.
If Jesus turned water into wine, surely he could turn a Tag into a Rolex?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and @George Red and I share an Alma Mater.
DEF25205-35ED-4460-AFD1-3021E9E9F0C7.gif

QUE VOLA, ACERE! If you know, you know.

c0de

Reaction score
The “loudest” watch I own (in terms of being noticed and commented on...) is an Omega Speedmaster 38 automatic. Haha...

I also wear a gold Omega and nobody seems to notice...

Rolex Sub? No one notices...

Rolex DJ? Nothing...

Nobody. Cares.

I’m def getting a Daydate and will wear it when and where I think it’s appropriate...

Now I’m going to throw on a Tudor and head out for the night...

I never owned anything gold, but that’s what I’ve noticed overhearing conversation. Like I said. Empirical evidence, so what do I know.

noticed or not, what matters is that the person who writes a check likes it, whatever metal, brand, or cult following it has or doesn’t.

goal is for us to enjoy, and always wear in good health.

Enjoy your night out. I can’t wait to do that too

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually my picture. I bought that Invicta in 2011 from the Invicta store located in the International Mall in Miami, Florida. I was 23 and in my first year in law school at the U. All my classmates had cool watches, and I wanted one, too. I remember walking in and buying this thinking, “this is the coolest ******* thing I’ve ever seen.” It cost me like $800, which was like $750 more than I had to my name.

That’s literally where my watch journey started.
View attachment 1606927

QUE VOLA, ACERE! If you know, you know.

That makes three of us.
IMG_20210508_180644.jpg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually my picture. I bought that Invicta in 2011 from the Invicta store located in the International Mall in Miami, Florida. I was 23 and in my first year in law school at the U. All my classmates had cool watches, and I wanted one, too. I remember walking in and buying this thinking, “this is the coolest ******* thing I’ve ever seen.” It cost me like $800, which was like $750 more than I had to my name.

That’s literally where my watch journey started.
That would be an interesting discussion. Ten years ago you bought an Invicta on credit to look cool, and now you've got a very nice and very expensive collection. I wonder, though, about the journey in between. When and why did you start getting more "serious" about watches? What was the evolution like? Any big regrets, missteps, or interesting stories along the way?

FYI I'm interested in anyone's response--your post was just the one that made me think of it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Enlightening list, actually: I think the change in human caliber (as it were) is noticeable once we get past the quartz era and Rolex becomes a blingy status symbol.
My father was a pilot during WWII and he had a Rolex. It was a work watch in those days. The price back then was about $125. After the war he gave it to a friend who became a pilot for PanAm.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Jesus turned water into wine, surely he could turn a Tag into a Rolex?
And what exactly do you think got Jesus into all that trouble in the first place?

Do you really think that Pontius Pilate was just some anonymous dude from the dusty hills of Samnium, and not a really tough patent attorney with an ironclad cease-and-desist order forbidding the conjuring of all those fake watches so desired by the merchants and money-lenders?

In fact, deep in the vaults at ROLEX SA, 3-5-7 rue François-Dussaud, 1211 Geneva 26, Switzerland, they still have the signed parchment proving that PP was appointed directly by God himself, who finally caved under all the pressure of Rolex's constant recriminations and threats.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be an interesting discussion. Ten years ago you bought an Invicta on credit to look cool, and now you've got a very nice and very expensive collection. I wonder, though, about the journey in between. When and why did you start getting more "serious" about watches? What was the evolution like? Any big regrets, missteps, or interesting stories along the way?

FYI I'm interested in anyone's response--your post was just the one that made me think of it.
Now THIS is an excellent question that could lead to some honestly thoughtful and pleasant discourse. However, I’m on vacation and too drunk to taste this chicken, so I’ll opine tomorrow.

c0de

Reaction score
Now THIS is an excellent question that could lead to some honestly thoughtful and pleasant discourse. However, I’m on vacation and too drunk to taste this chicken, so I’ll opine tomorrow.

I’ll go

I’ve always been into watches, but not expensive watches. When I was a kid I loved Swatch and Casio. I remember my mom would reward a good year at school with a nice watch. Fast forward to 2008, I immigrated to the US, I have a few fashion watches (CK from Macy’s) and I see an Invicta submariner replica/homage on the internet (slickdeals) for $50 down from $500, without knowing what a submariner is I buy it and wear it for about a year before my dad notices or on a visit so I gave it to him. Meanwhile I start researching watches and getting more and more into the intricacies of the movement. I fell in love, see I love anything mechanical. I decide that the perfect watch is a Speedy Pro. But who on earth pays 3-4K for a watch, surely no one is that crazy. So I do some research and land on a Tissor Visodate. Once I had that I fell even more in love and started buying and selling watches spending few hundred more each time, till I went through a ton. Homages, great pieces, mid tier luxury, then sold everything and settled on a one watch, in my case an Explorer in 2018. I have a bunch of reasons as to why it’s special to me, but it is.

meanwhile, my father passed away and the invicta is still at my parents home, ticking (believe it or not). I have decided, that is one of the most valuable watches I’ve owned, for what it means to me.

oh, and I never got the Speedy Pro.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never owned anything gold, but that’s what I’ve noticed overhearing conversation. Like I said. Empirical evidence, so what do I know.

noticed or not, what matters is that the person who writes a check likes it, whatever metal, brand, or cult following it has or doesn’t.

goal is for us to enjoy, and always wear in good health.

Enjoy your night out. I can’t wait to do that too
From a Hodinkee DD review by Jack Forster, perhaps the most experienced American watch writer:

There is absolutely no question that this is the single most recognizable and most noticeable wristwatch I've ever worn, for review purposes or otherwise. It seems everyone knows what a gold Rolex looks like. Maybe it's because the phrase "gold Rolex" is so deeply ingrained via mass and entertainment media, and it seems to produce a seemingly instant burst of recognition in people who see it.
People ask if they can touch it; people ask if they can hold it (it's rather like having a newborn infant out in a stroller for the first time, come to think of it); people ask, "is it . . . yours?" in slightly incredulous tones. It has an impact out of all proportion to its presence as a piece of gold jewelry; as a display object, it is dramatically more impactful than just about anything else you can wear on your wrist

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone make a meme with that "Guys literally only want one thing..." and the response is a steel Rolex?

Then venessian can make some jokes about it that no one gets.

Foo can say it only takes a couple months to get one if you are a big timer like he is (but he only owns a mutilated Daytona to my knowledge--and an overpolished Patek).

George Red can post pictures of the entire current Rolex catalog that he appears to own.

Dino can post all of the most desirable Rolex watches from the last 25 years, all of which he owns, all of which are in like new (better than mint) condition despite the fact that he wears them regularly (I think he is a wizard--Dino would never contemplate buying a polishing cloth like Foo).

radicaldog can say something completely unrelated to anything and start a new watch thread for more of the same inane internet blather (that thread is garbage by the way).

9thsymph will continue to be an agreeable poster as usual but someone else will be an ass on purpose or not.

am55 will impart real cultural knowledge intermittently as well as posting cool independents.

And we will occasionally be graced by Riva, the true king of the thread.

A few bits by Texasmade, Ambulance Chaser, RSS, bdavro, and LAGuy among others in between without much traction.

Then a short intermission of Hodinkee bashing or Speedy masturbation.

This is the way.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my dad. The MilSub I have was his. He never really viewed it as a “luxury watch”, sort of a beater believe it or not.

He wore Cartier and Omega. So I’ve always been aware of quality timepieces and when my financial situation allowed me to indulge my interest, that’s when I bought my first watch. I’m not a collector per se. I really only have 4 watches, but I do enjoy them.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Guys post watches they have owned for years.? Nice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads