• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo, dudes. I'm currently wearing a nice Paul Stuart suit sent by a dude here on very reasonable terms. Unfortunately, the trouser waist side adjusters have gone missing, and there are no belt loops.
Option A is to use braces. Not. Gonna. Happen.
Option B is to sell/trade. Prefer not because it fits fairly well and fills a void (yeah, I see it; don't care) in my wardrobe.
Option C: Pull the belt loops off similar trous. So I'm on the hunt for a dirt cheap pair of charcoal gray worsted trousers -- preferably Super 100s or better. Simce I'm only after the belt loops, the trous can be in the worst possible condition, including moth eaten, and any size at all.
Thanks for your time.
If you don't care how well they match, can't your tailor just make some?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yo, dudes. I'm currently wearing a nice Paul Stuart suit sent by a dude here on very reasonable terms. Unfortunately, the trouser waist side adjusters have gone missing, and there are no belt loops.
Option B is to sell/trade. Prefer not because it fits fairly well and fills a void (yeah, I see it; don't care) in my wardrobe.
Option C: Pull the belt loops off similar trous. So I'm on the hunt for a dirt cheap pair of charcoal gray worsted trousers -- preferably Super 100s or better. Simce I'm only after the belt loops, the trous can be in the worst possible condition, including moth eaten, and any size at all.
Thanks for your time.

But, but, I could give you really nice braces. Just sent couple to Easy.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

She could. And there's even a bit of room to nip the trousers up and take actual suit fabric.

But that costs money. Forget that. Ripping belt loops off and sewing on while watching American Pickers costs me $0.

Here are a few pics, copied from the original SF post that I saw and PMed about. These are a little lighter than the IRL color. It's very dark charcoal.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if Grendel was referring to loops or adjusters, but I'll second his suggestion if it was for side adjusters. Don't try to match, because you never will. Get him to make something that complements, like a fine leather adjuster maybe.

On the other hand, I continue to believe that wearing braces is the single best reason to put on a suit instead of trousers and an odd jacket in the morning. They can not slip down or ride up. The pants don't have to be cinched down tight around your waist. You always, always have exactly the break you want at the cuffs. I put buttons into every pair of suit pants I get that doesn't come with them. (Well, I eventually do. :embar: )

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your time.

I doubt you will eve find the exact same shade of any color you are trying to match.

Here's an idea. Contrasting color belt loops! I think white loops will look great and stylish on your charcoal suit! It's subtle because they are only belt loops, hard to see, yet tasteful because it's only white, not some crazy color. I've always love the idea of contrast color button holes, too!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents.

I'm in need of a selvedge, chambray, light blue or light grey denim work shirt, in size Medium or a large that fits like a Medium.

Something like this. I would like to get it before Halloween...I'm willing to pay reasonable prices. Thanks!

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some Naked and Famous Selvage Denim that I think I bought new from a member here. After a few wears, they just aren't for me. Tagged Size 32 with 33-34 inseam. See pictures below for exact measurements. PM me if interested!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I doubt you will eve find the exact same shade of any color you are trying to match.

Here's an idea. Contrasting color belt loops! I think white loops will look great and stylish on your charcoal suit! It's subtle because they are only belt loops, hard to see, yet tasteful because it's only white, not some crazy color. I've always love the idea of contrast color button holes, too!

I'm crazy enough to try something like this, but this is intended to be a fairly conservative suit -- it being solid charcoal and a fairly conservative cut.

But no matter. Mission already accomplished. Found a ****** pair of no-name S120 gray trou that were $3. Color is srsly a near match. Now, would the loops meet a Sammy QC test? No. They're small and, if I'm honest, a little flimsy. But they will hold up a belt, and I'll damn near guarantee no one will ever be able to tell.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm crazy enough to try something like this, but this is intended to be a fairly conservative suit -- it being solid charcoal and a fairly conservative cut.
But no matter. Mission already accomplished. Found a ****** pair of no-name S120 gray trou that were $3. Color is srsly a near match. Now, would the loops meet a Sammy QC test? No. They're small and, if I'm honest, a little flimsy. But they will hold up a belt, and I'll damn near guarantee no one will ever be able to tell.

Oh man, I have this crazy idea of after building a solid wardrobe, I'm gonna have my tailor stitch red button holes on a navy or blue suit with matching contrasting belt loops! It will be my "I'm here to par-tay suit"!

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shoes are still available for trade! Just a tad too roomy for my foot or I'd love to keep them. If you have other Aldens (9-1/2 D), Selvedge denim (size 33-34) or a SC (42L in a slim fit) you want to unload hit me up and we can talk sizing!

Still have the 5 Oxxford suits to measure but expect them to be size 48-50L US

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I have this crazy idea of after building a solid wardrobe, I'm gonna have my tailor stitch red button holes on a navy or blue suit with matching contrasting belt loops! It will be my "I'm here to par-tay suit"!

I struggle to imagine the kind of party that would be appropriate for...

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I struggle to imagine the kind of party that would be appropriate for...

The type of par-tay where everyone gets naked, eventually!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads