• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

evangel21

Reaction score
20210117_163422.jpg

First wear. Gorgeous plum museum calf. U last.

jayteee

Reaction score
Need input from Vass lovers here.

I noticed all my Vass, regardless of last, provide a gap on the front of the heel block between the heel and the ground. When you apply weight, usually by wearing the shoe, the gap goes away, but the sides of the shoe along your ankles pucker and, in worst case scenarios, bulge outward.

Since I've seen the same construction technique used on P, P2, F and U lasts, it's not a flaw but a feature. Nevertheless, some complain they can't wear Vass because of the side bulging. It seems to be worse with flat feet, since the downward pressure on on the heel gap is even greater.

I compared this heel-to-floor gap with other brands and discovered all the others, with one exception, leave their gap on the BACK of the heel block, This has the effect when worn of smoothing and stretching the sides of the shoe and providing a snugger heel fit. I noticed this on Allen Edmonds, Crockett and Jones, Carlos Santos and Carmina. One of my TLB Mallorca Oxfords shares the 'front of the heel" gap with Vass, but the TLB derby does not.

I've attached two photos to show difference: The dark one is Vass F last and the brown one is Allen Edmonds. (Both are new. This is not heel wear)

When the rear of the heel wears down, the gap will probably even out on the Vass, at which point I assume the side puckering becomes less noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2597.JPG
    IMG_2597.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

tbaja27

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my last Vass purchase from Ebay didn't work out. They're 42.5 - not 42. And they are dark brown museum - not bordeaux, as described. F last.

Attachments

• 20210126_095639.jpg
    20210126_095639.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210126_095610.jpg
    20210126_095610.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210126_095555.jpg
    20210126_095555.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I noticed all my Vass, regardless of last, provide a gap on the front of the heel block between the heel and the ground. When you apply weight, usually by wearing the shoe, the gap goes away, but the sides of the shoe along your ankles pucker and, in worst case scenarios, bulge outward.

Since I've seen the same construction technique used on P, P2, F and U lasts, it's not a flaw but a feature. Nevertheless, some complain they can't wear Vass because of the side bulging. It seems to be worse with flat feet, since the downward pressure on on the heel gap is even greater.

I compared this heel-to-floor gap with other brands and discovered all the others, with one exception, leave their gap on the BACK of the heel block, This has the effect when worn of smoothing and stretching the sides of the shoe and providing a snugger heel fit. I noticed this on Allen Edmonds, Crockett and Jones, Carlos Santos and Carmina. One of my TLB Mallorca Oxfords shares the 'front of the heel" gap with Vass, but the TLB derby does not.

I've attached two photos to show difference: The dark one is Vass F last and the brown one is Allen Edmonds. (Both are new. This is not heel wear)

When the rear of the heel wears down, the gap will probably even out on the Vass, at which point I assume the side puckering becomes less noticeable.
That's a flaw in construction that makes the shoe be unbalanced. It's basically the front being twisted in relation to the back. Probably not noticeable until they take it off the last. Heel should be flat on the ground. Not much you can do. It's not the end of the world if it's not too severe.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the shoes don't bulge, don't mind the gap.

Jan Capek

Reaction score

I hope I am not misunderstanding the above. If I am, my apologies.

As a flat footer I can confirm that gaping improves over time with Vass, and your foot will get more support. But the heel leveling is most likely a factor only when standing (entire sole on the ground) as opposed to walking.

When walking, other factors are more important, at least in my case. Vass lasts expect yout to have a large foot volume, which is typically incompatible with flat feet. (Sadly, their derbies have unnecessary wide wings to mitigate this). If your gaping is attributed to a low volume, heel wear will not make much difference. Most of the gaping happens when landing on the back of your heel at any rate, when you shift balance from one leg to the other. This will happen even when the rear of the heel is worn out.

Btw. if this is a construction flaw then VASS appears to be selling only poorly constructed shoes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads