• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@OzzyJones those looks spectacular. That's a great shade of gold museum. Usually it's lighter and has a more orange hue to it.

They have two batches, both from Ilcea: the first batch which is lighter and brighter, was actually a mistake: the new Ilcea's first attempt at replicating a colour that had been requested. The second was what they'd wanted in the first place. As they still have both, they designate them "orange" and "dark gold", if you want to be clear when ordering.

Alright I shot them off an email. Thanks for the help gents!

Good luck - I was there a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure I saw some.

Considering a resoling job can cost upto $150 - makes economic sense to double the life of your soles.

With respect, having a double sole insulates from the cold ground or sharp stones, or even water a little better than a single one. But it will need replacing at the same time, as the stitching will start to wear through as the first sole does, just as if it were a single one. The addition of a midsole makes it more robust in feel and appearance, but the outer sole won't need replacing any less often.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some vass window Appreciation

width

width

width

width

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Mmmm...saltwater croc wholecut; now that's baller. The kind of thing Namor might kop?
mwink[1].gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a remarkable pair especially next to caiman. Caiman is far less refined with a rougher texture both visually and to the touch. I'm afraid to ask what the upcharge for saltwater alligator is. Btw, that is saltwater gator? How can you tell? I haven't a clue!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Because I was standing outside that same window a couple of weeks ago, and talking about it with our friend!

It's saltwater crocodile from Papua New Guinea. Couple of thousand Euros, which basically is a cost-only upgrade for the skins. I think the point was more about making such a pair, than making any money on them. After all, look at us talking about them?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have two batches, both from Ilcea: the first batch which is lighter and brighter, was actually a mistake: the new Ilcea's first attempt at replicating a colour that had been requested. The second was what they'd wanted in the first place. As they still have both, they designate them "orange" and "dark gold", if you want to be clear when ordering.
Wait, now I'm confused. When I contacted Rezsö a couple of months ago he told me that they had two types of Gold museum at that time; Ilcea and what was left from Bonaudo. I was told that when all of the leather from Bonaudo was used, they would only use the one from Ilcea.

But you're suggesting that they have two types of Gold museums, both from Ilcea? Is this only temporary? Thanks for taking time, mimo.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, the orange one was a mistake - I could be wrong, but I'm sure he said they were both from Ilcea. Just the gold/orange one was not the colour they originally wanted, and the "dark gold" the revised version with which they would continue. So if it's the brighter one you like, best order now!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the orange one was a mistake - I could be wrong, but I'm sure he said they were both from Ilcea. Just the gold/orange one was not the colour they originally wanted, and the "dark gold" the revised version with which they would continue. So if it's the brighter one you like, best order now!
I hate you. LOL.

So this year's shoe purchases thus far:
Vass: 1
Carmina: 2
Enzo Bonafè: 2
Edward Green: 2

Think I should balance it out by ordering an additional pair of Vass?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
No question.

If it's any consolation, I have eight pairs on order from four makers as we speak.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a completely other note; I received my Edward Green Inverness (888 last) faster than anticipated. While I have seen and tested the last before, I haven't had the opportunity to compare it with others. My first reaction was/is kind of "meh". There's nothing extraordinary about the last (love the model, though). I placed it next to a U lasted shoe, and I find the U last is far superior to the 888 last. The 888 looks kind of clown-ish and angular next to the U. Is there anyone else with a similar experience? I'm actually considering either returning it or just putting it up for sale here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With respect, having a double sole insulates from the cold ground or sharp stones, or even water a little better than a single one. But it will need replacing at the same time, as the stitching will start to wear through as the first sole does, just as if it were a single one. The addition of a midsole makes it more robust in feel and appearance, but the outer sole won't need replacing any less often.
Interesting issue. In my experience single outsoles last longer than double before resoling. In my case the wear does not affect that much the stiching (just the part of the outsole below the central part of the ball line where a hole is usually about to appear), but may be is my way of walking. Your statement makes a lot of sense, though.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, now I'm confused. When I contacted Rezsö a couple of months ago he told me that they had two types of Gold museum at that time; Ilcea and what was left from Bonaudo. I was told that when all of the leather from Bonaudo was used, they would only use the one from Ilcea.

But you're suggesting that they have two types of Gold museums, both from Ilcea? Is this only temporary? Thanks for taking time, mimo.

Yeah, the orange one was a mistake - I could be wrong, but I'm sure he said they were both from Ilcea.  Just the gold/orange one was not the colour they originally wanted, and the "dark gold" the revised version with which they would continue.  So if it's the brighter one you like, best order now!

Pretty sure my lighter one is the Bonaudo. I'll post pics of a side by side comparison in a couple of days.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure my lighter one is the Bonaudo. I'll post pics of a side by side comparison in a couple of days.
Pretty sure yours (Bonaudo calf) were the ones that caught my interest. At that time, Rezsö told me the supply of Bonaudo was very limited, and that it was basically out of stock. Hence, I didn't put in an order at that time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads