• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

towerbespoke

Reaction score
Double wrapped sounds like your not going to come up with a desirable or cost effective solution.

Would require some huge darts, or side seam alterations, totoally changing the shape of it.

I’d start over with new merch.
Just to clarify, I agree that the knitwear is unsalvageable. I was throwing my hat into the ring for the suit alterations

Cityplace

Reaction score
Double wrapped sounds like your not going to come up with a desirable or cost effective solution.

Would require some huge darts, or side seam alterations, totoally changing the shape of it.

I’d start over with new merch.

I was exaggerating a little bit - there are some of my sweaters that aren't quite so bulbous around the waist. Anyone have any contacts for knitwear alterations? Is that even a thing?

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was exaggerating a little bit - there are some of my sweaters that aren't quite so bulbous around the waist. Anyone have any contacts for knitwear alterations? Is that even a thing?

I've had my tailor slim the torso and sleeves on a cashmere sweater before. I can't see why it would be such a technically difficult thing on a simple knit, you basically just do what you would do with a shirt: pinch the sides and sew it again with a bigger seam allowance. It fits way better now.

I go to Halton Bespoke (formerly HTC Tailoring) underneath the Royal York.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Anybody have recommendations for the best places to get custom dress shirts? Trying not to spend more than 200...250 is pushing it.

I have called mykingandbay (called Aashif who I assume is the owner; he says the shirts are made in India, with the fabrics from Italy; price ranges from $150+...not sure about quality though).

Theodore1922 offers Lipson...heard they were recently acquired by Samuelsohn...again quality unknown...

Thoughts?

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have recommendations for the best places to get custom dress shirts? Trying not to spend more than 200...250 is pushing it.

I have called mykingandbay (called Aashif who I assume is the owner; he says the shirts are made in India, with the fabrics from Italy; price ranges from $150+...not sure about quality though).

Theodore1922 offers Lipson...heard they were recently acquired by Samuelsohn...again quality unknown...

Thoughts?

Any reason Spier and Mackay isn’t on your radar? Made in India also, for whatever that’s worth. And I believe they have Thomas Mason fabrics.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
I am quite new to this...as a 'noobie' India does not sound luxurious as English or Italian. Is that a false statement? Also - how would you distinguish the quality between the different shirts made in India?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am quite new to this...as a 'noobie' India does not sound luxurious as English or Italian. Is that a false statement? Also - how would you distinguish the quality between the different shirts made in India?

Unfortunately you arnt going to find MTM shirts made in Italy or UK in your price range. And I don’t even know if you will find an MTM supplier based in Toronto who manufactures there.

Right now, I would urge you to get more value for your dollar and use Spier & Mackay MTM. Or find an off the rack Italian brand that you like the fit of.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are ETON made to measures worth the 400 dollar price tag?

It seems you’re more fixated on spending a lot of money rather than getting good value for the money you spend.

Why don’t you check out the Spier and Mackay thread on here, people post fit pics all the time and you’ll see that many are happy with their purchases.

You can always go to their store and talk to them, they’re helpful and can help you find nice fabrics.

I know I sound like a shill, but I’m not, just concerned you’re asking about $400 shirts when you have great local options.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
It seems you’re more fixated on spending a lot of money rather than getting good value for the money you spend.

Why don’t you check out the Spier and Mackay thread on here, people post fit pics all the time and you’ll see that many are happy with their purchases.

You can always go to their store and talk to them, they’re helpful and can help you find nice fabrics.

I know I sound like a shill, but I’m not, just concerned you’re asking about $400 shirts when you have great local options.

Ahhh...not at all. Admittedly it is because I dont fully understand what goes into a quality shirt. To me these lesser known options seem 'cheap' and there are some trade-offs attached to buying them. Their shirts run for 70 bux...which is a bit suspicious to someone like me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads