• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Dimple Debate

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I was looking for this debate. I KNEW it had to be here somewhere.

When I first learned to tie a tie, years ago, no one mentioned a dimple or taught me to look for it. But after a short while of being observant I noticed it, and for several years you would not find me in a tie without a dimple perfectly in the center.

Then a couple years ago, on TV, suddenly no one's tie had a dimple any more. In GQ as well, or perhaps they never did. What in the world was going on?

It took me some time to adjust, but I've decided that depending on

-how you tie your tie
-the specific tie
-what you're wearing
-the look you're going for
-whether you're casual, formal, or somewhere in between

dimple or no dimple is an option. I've discovered if you dont pull your tie tight you get a fatter knot, and this looks cleaner with no dimple. If you're going to tie it tight you need the dimple or it will look silly.

The other unspoken reason lots of people dont, is that cheap ties dont dimple well. Takes a lot of effort.

WHY does GQ never/hardly ever dimple?

hahnb

Reaction score
It depends on what I'm wearing, but both can be fashionable, as many have mentioned. Here's one of my best specimens, I don't know how my tie managed to stay this perfect on new years...

n39103505_32583900_328.jpg

DarkMoonRising

Reaction score
The tie dimple is man's equivalent of the camel toe.
On all the instructions showing how to tie a full Windsor, most people say a dimple often occurs naturally. Well, der, of course it does, because a dimple is the result of laziness - yanking the tie too tight instead of slowly and carefully.
The dimple is formed by pulling the wide top end down too tight, pulling the sides in and narrowing the bridge into an ugly squished V creating the W shape in the free-hanging end instead of a neat flat \_/ with a neat flat end.
If girls pull their panties or gym pants on too tight, they wedge them up there creating a M-shaped camel toe. Gets guys to look but they're universally mocked and they are taught to adjust and loosen their panties so that they are nice and snug U-shape but not so tight as to create the M-shape.

To summarise - a tie dimple is a sign of laziness - yanking your tie on too tight without taking the time to neatly adjust yourself. Rather than all those youtube videos showing how to artificially put the dimple in (just yank harder!) they should be showing you how to take the time to loosen the bridge so it is creating a snug bridge the width of the tie like a \_/

A tie dimple is a camel toe for men.

Ethan Clarke

Reaction score

I couldn't have said it better or agree more! I'm shocked to read most guys on this thread (albeit fairly old now) opt for a tie dimple and was just gearing up to join and reply with a message that would only reiterate the above post. I detest guys that wear a tie with a dimple. To knot a tie without a dimple takes at the best of times practice and skill and to knot a tie with a dimple requires nothing more than, as DarkMoonRising put it, a mere 'yank' of the tie. It's lazy. It looks lazy. It looks like the person who has a dimple could not be bothered to get ready in the morning and thus contradicts all the power, style and persona that the suit carries with it. What really gets my goat in the context of this topic are most of the male presenters on BBC News. it might be a stressful job, but these guys are on TV, they should look their absolute best all of the time whilst at work. Yet, most of them look like a child has been using their tie as a swing! The knots are almost always far to tight that they have multiple dimples, eergh!

Don't dimple and you won't look lazy.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tie dimple is man's equivalent of the camel toe.
On all the instructions showing how to tie a full Windsor, most people say a dimple often occurs naturally. Well, der, of course it does, because a dimple is the result of laziness - yanking the tie too tight instead of slowly and carefully.
The dimple is formed by pulling the wide top end down too tight, pulling the sides in and narrowing the bridge into an ugly squished V creating the W shape in the free-hanging end instead of a neat flat \_/ with a neat flat end.
If girls pull their panties or gym pants on too tight, they wedge them up there creating a M-shaped camel toe. Gets guys to look but they're universally mocked and they are taught to adjust and loosen their panties so that they are nice and snug U-shape but not so tight as to create the M-shape.

To summarise - a tie dimple is a sign of laziness - yanking your tie on too tight without taking the time to neatly adjust yourself. Rather than all those youtube videos showing how to artificially put the dimple in (just yank harder!) they should be showing you how to take the time to loosen the bridge so it is creating a snug bridge the width of the tie like a \_/

I couldn't have said it better or agree more! I'm shocked to read most guys on this thread (albeit fairly old now) opt for a tie dimple and was just gearing up to join and reply with a message that would only reiterate the above post. I detest guys that wear a tie with a dimple. To knot a tie without a dimple takes at the best of times practice and skill and to knot a tie with a dimple requires nothing more than, as DarkMoonRising put it, a mere 'yank' of the tie. It's lazy. It looks lazy. It looks like the person who has a dimple could not be bothered to get ready in the morning and thus contradicts all the power, style and persona that the suit carries with it. What really gets my goat in the context of this topic are most of the male presenters on BBC News. it might be a stressful job, but these guys are on TV, they should look their absolute best all of the time whilst at work. Yet, most of them look like a child has been using their tie as a swing! The knots are almost always far to tight that they have multiple dimples, eergh!

Lol you blokes seem far too invested in how other guys knot their ties.

And you both have no idea what your talking about.

Dr P00b

Reaction score
In my (limited) experience getting a nice dimple takes more time & effort than a non dimple.

lychyrychy

Reaction score
Is THIS some kinda of joke? TGIF

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are just trolling an old thread which no-one had posted on for 3 years. Just ignore them.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But they are trolling....in concert..... Surely the must be a rare occurrence

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance