• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

GAU11

Reaction score
Maybe they are, but at least I don't have a stick up ******.

Excuse you?

Look, I'm just being frank. If you want a useful critique, then post better photos. Go back and read the original post of this thread for instructions on taking proper pics.

And you basically posted a crotch shot for strangers on the internet and solicited feedback. Get some thicker skin if you can't handle less than flowery feedback. :uhoh:

My bad, but really, how can one tell pants fit from 12 feet away?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're still not getting it. You can't be holding the camera and expect anyone to be able to say much about how well your pants fit. There is perspective distortion because of the downward tilt and you can't get proper photos of the side and back.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on sleeve alterations. I'm a 33, can do a 34. If I buy a 35 inch sleeve, is a two inch alteration too much? Thanks in advance

seejulius

Reaction score
Bespoke is the process of draping a shell over you altering, configuring, each crevasse of your body making the pattern from scratch. This process could take a few months. (be careful a lot of places will say they are Bespoke when they are not, I am not allowed to say who they are.)

Custom is creating a pattern from scratch off of your body, knowing how your posture, shoulders, and arms are positioned. The fit will be just as great as bespoke but will only take 5 weeks, or less.

MTM is the process of taking an existing pattern and altering it to your specific needs, as we all know this process could take a 3/4 weeks depending on where you go.

I have all 3 types of suits; I personally would prefer custom it is not only more affordable but the fit is amazing. If you have questions regarding where to get custom suits near you do not hesitate to ask.

yyztraveler

Reaction score
I have all 3 types of suits; I personally would prefer custom it is not only more affordable but the fit is amazing. If you have questions regarding where to get custom suits near you do not hesitate to ask.

Hey, sure, glad to hear some suggestions as I'm in the market for sports coats.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Bespoke is the process of draping a shell over you altering, configuring, each crevasse of your body making the pattern from scratch. This process could take a few months. (be careful a lot of places will say they are Bespoke when they are not, I am not allowed to say who they are.)

Custom is creating a pattern from scratch off of your body, knowing how your posture, shoulders, and arms are positioned. The fit will be just as great as bespoke but will only take 5 weeks, or less.

MTM is the process of taking an existing pattern and altering it to your specific needs, as we all know this process could take a 3/4 weeks depending on where you go.

What suits do you own that you consider "custom?"

RyanM2

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure seejulius just created those definitions. I've never heard 'custom' defined differently than bespoke, and I believe most people would not recognize 'custom' as a distinct category from bespoke and MTM.

seejulius

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure seejulius just created those definitions. I've never heard 'custom' defined differently than bespoke, and I believe most people would not recognize 'custom' as a distinct category from bespoke and MTM.

appreciate the input. they are many more different variations of menswear from MTO, MTM, Custom, Bespoke & more. what I wrote are not definitions, but rather processes that certain brands use.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Question on sleeve alterations. I'm a 33, can do a 34. If I buy a 35 inch sleeve, is a two inch alteration too much? Thanks in advance

the tailor needs to remove the sleeve placket.
yes, it can be done

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

appreciate the input. they are many more different variations of menswear from MTO, MTM, Custom, Bespoke & more. what I wrote are not definitions, but rather processes that certain brands use.

you listed some very confusing definitions.

this topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

FYI if some young guy is taking some measurments and having the suit made in asia. It is not Bespoke!
whatever Bespoke means.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the tailor needs to remove the sleeve placket.
yes, it can be done

Perfect. I'm looking at some dress shirts on eBay with a brand I currently have. I just know they run long in the sleeve for me. Thanks again

seejulius

Reaction score

you listed some very confusing definitions.

this topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

FYI if some young guy is taking some measurments and having the suit made in asia. It is not Bespoke!
whatever Bespoke means.

I completely agree with you. I will not not beat a dead horse.

HannibalBarca

Reaction score
Hello. I had a local tailor make me these jackets and pants. This is the first jacket and pants he has made for me. How does it fit?

(This are not the same pants as before)
(I think the creasing around the knees here is due to my stance which isn't too natural)

What do you guys think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads