• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

untchbleal

Reaction score
I've never tailored any trousers or chinos before, so I don't know how to go about my measure aside from going with a 1.75in or 2in cuff, & my waist size. I'm 5'11, 155lb, and going for a fit as such.

I just need some measurements to go about to achieve these fit. I'm pretty skinny so I think these fits won't look bad on me, but if you have any suggestion feel free to let me know

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never tailored any trousers or chinos before, so I don't know how to go about my measure aside from going with a 1.75in or 2in cuff, & my waist size. I'm 5'11, 155lb, and going for a fit as such.

I just need some measurements to go about to achieve these fit. I'm pretty skinny so I think these fits won't look bad on me, but if you have any suggestion feel free to let me know

Go to any tailor or alterations place and shows the picture . Sometimes a little commonsense go a long way :)

Fattorney

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'd appreciate any suggestions for adjustments to my next Modern Tailor shirt. I definitely prefer slim-fit (as form-fitting as possible without being "skin-tight") and am generally pleased with the shirt, but am not thrilled with the twisting/creasing in the upper-arms. I'm considering adding a half-inch to the yoke, armholes, biceps, and possibly sleeve-length. Thoughts? Could a shoulder-slope and/or back adjustment be necessary? They're both currently set for "Average." Other possible adjustments? Thanks in advance!

workingNYC

Reaction score
Had a few MTM suits made (yes, 3 instead of just starting with 1...). Measurement was in person but shoulder fit was not right. Went to tailor with MTM and tailor did some surgery ie sleeves off jackets, adjusting shoulders - these are the results. Shoulders still look very off to me, and think the sleeves may be too short based on modifications to upper arm area. Problem is most obvious from front/back but also visible from side in some of the below.

Picked these up and shoulders looked off while I was there (which I mentioned), but was told that they would fit a bit better with wear. This does not seem to be the case. Are these fixable, or do I need to ask for remakes? Do the shoulders just look way off? And sleeve length?

Pants (not pictured) seemingly have their own set of problems, as well. Thanks.

surefire1017

Reaction score
Hi just picked up two suits from the tailor. He lowered the collar on these jackets (has done this before with great results) but there are still the horizontal lines between shoulders. I asked him if letting out center seam would help he said no, any thoughts?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Had a few MTM suits made (yes, 3 instead of just starting with 1...). Measurement was in person but shoulder fit was not right. Went to tailor with MTM and tailor did some surgery ie sleeves off jackets, adjusting shoulders - these are the results. Shoulders still look very off to me, and think the sleeves may be too short based on modifications to upper arm area. Problem is most obvious from front/back but also visible from side in some of the below. Picked these up and shoulders looked off while I was there (which I mentioned), but was told that they would fit a bit better with wear. This does not seem to be the case. Are these fixable, or do I need to ask for remakes? Do the shoulders just look way off? And sleeve length? Pants (not pictured) seemingly have their own set of problems, as well. Thanks. #1 #2 #3
Shoulders look horrible. Sleeves are too short. Not sure how you can fix this. NEVER buy 3 suits to start with from an unknown tailor. It can end up being a waste in money. Case in point...your pics.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Had a few MTM suits made (yes, 3 instead of just starting with 1...). Measurement was in person but shoulder fit was not right. Went to tailor with MTM and tailor did some surgery ie sleeves off jackets, adjusting shoulders - these are the results. Shoulders still look very off to me, and think the sleeves may be too short based on modifications to upper arm area. Problem is most obvious from front/back but also visible from side in some of the below.

Picked these up and shoulders looked off while I was there (which I mentioned), but was told that they would fit a bit better with wear. This does not seem to be the case. Are these fixable, or do I need to ask for remakes? Do the shoulders just look way off? And sleeve length?

Pants (not pictured) seemingly have their own set of problems, as well. Thanks.

Did you have on a dress shirt when the measured you to shorten the sleeves?
Yes...you should get a remake. Either that or refund.

Last edited:

workingNYC

Reaction score

Shoulders look horrible.
Sleeves are too short. Not sure how you can fix this.
NEVER buy 3 suits to start with from an unknown tailor. It can end up being a waste in money. Case in point...your pics.

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping he will remake or refund.

They all look the same. What's the difference? Material?

Yes, effectively.

Did you have on a dress shirt when the measured you to shorten the sleeves?
Yes...you should get a remake. Either that or refund.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a dress shirt on. The goal was not to shorten the sleeves, it was to fix the shoulders. In trying to do so, they shortened the sleeves and didn't really fix the shoulders, so lose lose. Going to get back in touch with him and ask for remake or refund.

JamesNiven

Reaction score
1. I found a tuxedo that has side vents. Could anyone share a picture of closed side vents on a suit or tuxedo, preferably a tuxedo?

http://www.thewizardofaahs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=204&search=tuxedo

http://www.thewizardofaahs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=362&search=tuxedo

Has anyone had experience with The Wizard of Aahs, and his Daniele or Mantoni suits and/or tuxedos?

2. How could a pair of tuxedo trousers be altered to be slimmer without messing with proportions? (I've heard about removing the stripe slimming it down and then putting it back on.)

3. Does anyone know of a good menswear tailor near LA?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Penfold

Reaction score

SnowSwat

Reaction score
X post from the business wardrobe thread. Please excuse the unhemmed trousers. Among a few small changes, I will be having the button stance dropped 0.75" and jacket lengthened 0.75". Thoughts? Should I stick to 0.5" changes? For reference I am 5'6", 145lbs.

dragos25

Reaction score
Does this jacket fit me? The tag on the inside says it is a 46(european) which is my size but the shoulders look too big to me. The shoulder seam is pretty much where it should be but the shoulder pad hangs over my shoulder,creating a divot. Is the jacket too big or am I not used to more padded shoulders? I know the sleeves are too long and probably too full , maybe could use some waist suppression? Also, is the back rumpling a sign of bad fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads