• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

ellsbebc

Reaction score
^Sloopy:

The shirt sleeves are too long -- notice the bunching of cloth around the wrist.

The jacket is too tight in the rear. The vent is flying open.

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Prepare yourself guys, this is an absolute trainwreck. What can be done to salvage? I know the shoulders are too large, this is partially my fault for asking the MTM people to give me a bit of "growing room". They gave me way too much lol. Armholes are enormous. I'm going to ask them to take out a a good amount of the shoulder padding, it's going to look weird but probably better than what it looks like currently. There is also some bad collar gap that I don't know whether or not can be fixed....pretty disappointing. Sleeves also are clearly too long/large. Pants also came out huge/baggy lol

Let me know what else I can fix....sorry for bad pics. If possible I'm going to ask them to scrap the whole thing but that will require some spry bargaining...

My shoulders (yoke) will fill out/broaden in the coming months, as will my chest/back and arms but obviously not enough to fill out this jacket...

1 more fitting before I leave (in Shanghai).

Also, body measurements if they help: 5'9 155, 39" chest, 30" waist (midsection), ? on shoulders but probably somewhere from 17.5"-18" at the moment (narrow in relation to chest/back). Wide hip bones, probably close to 36" around. Sloped/rounded shoulders.
There's no point in altering an mtm suit to that extent unless they absolutely will not remake it. Shoulders are too big and a little too square for you. You could pad them out to lift them up a little but you said you want to take the pads out? Your right shoulder is VERY low and that should be compensated for in the measurements. Too much drape in the chest. Back would look ok when cleaned up. Shortening the jacket? That'll throw the pocket proportions off as well as the button stance.
This is an mtm suit...who took the measurements? This is a bizarre result.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Tailors, could you please comment on my shirt and sport coat?

I recently commissioned a local tailor to build the shirt. The SC is a J Crew.

Many thanks.

Ask your tailor to put another button on the cuff to reduce the circumference when wearing. The extra length could be better distributed if there were more than one sleeve pleat.

A little tight in the hips

Not sure that your jacket is too tight especially looking at this pic. You may be a little full in the seat which will make that vent gape open. Ask your tailor if messing with the suppression is a good idea. I'm built very full in the seat. I usually wear double vented jackets to fix this and I suppress the waist mostly by taking in the front part of the jacket only. If it needs that much more, and it usually doesn't, i'll consider adding an underarm dart.
There are some wrinkles at the upper back indicating it might be a little too sloped for your shoulders. Talk to you tailor to check on that because it's too hard to tell from your pics. If it needs to be squared up in the shoulders, that could help the vent stay closed. It may be sitting funny, too. Try pressing it.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Any suggestions for the tailor? Thanks so much!

Sorry about the last two pictures - I'm not sure why they're not rotating.
You need some more light when you're photographing a dark suit. It's very hard to see anything.
Even tho the pants look unfinished, wear shoes next time. I'd recommend all new pics. Take 6 pics. Side front and back. 3 with your jacket off. 3 with your jacket on.

Magnicusser

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First-time poster but I've been lurking for ages!

I recently bought myself a new OTR suit and I was wondering if you guys might have the same problem concerning you body measurements.
Actually whilst trying the suit jacket I didn't recognise that my right arm was slightly longer than my left arm.

Yesterday I ordered two MTM Maffeis shirts. Whilst measureing, the tailor told me that the difference between my two arms should be around 1 to 1.5 cm (1/2 inch).

My question to you now is whether I should take the suit jacket back to the shop to let that one sleeve a little out or not?

Since I'm not at home right now and I don't have my suit with me I'm not able to post some pictures.

I will definitely add some pictures later, but it would already be a nice issue to discuss.

Thanks,

gotmoo

Reaction score
Hi all, just got this new MTM suit. Please ignore the shirt, forgot to bring a better one.

I feel that the shoulders are a bit wide, and asked them to take it in by 0.5 inch on each side (the least they do...). I also feel that the armholes are somewhat anteriorly rotated, causing the appearance on the side. There's also quite a bit of bunching up on the back side of the arms.

Any suggestions for tailoring would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Any idea on what's going on with the left arm near my armpit? Sleeve pitch issue?
LL
It drapes like this on the body of the coat because of your low left shoulder. The sleeve needs to be pressed properly. Did you try to steam out wrinkles in the sleeve? If this is your natural posture, the left arm hangs forward more than the right.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi all, just got this new MTM suit. Please ignore the shirt, forgot to bring a better one.

I feel that the shoulders are a bit wide, and asked them to take it in by 0.5 inch on each side (the least they do...). I also feel that the armholes are somewhat anteriorly rotated, causing the appearance on the side. There's also quite a bit of bunching up on the back side of the arms.

Any suggestions for tailoring would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

Sleeve pitch issue.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First-time poster but I've been lurking for ages!

I recently bought myself a new OTR suit and I was wondering if you guys might have the same problem concerning you body measurements.
Actually whilst trying the suit jacket I didn't recognise that my right arm was slightly longer than my left arm.

Yesterday I ordered two MTM Maffeis shirts. Whilst measureing, the tailor told me that the difference between my two arms should be around 1 to 1.5 cm (1/2 inch).

My question to you now is whether I should take the suit jacket back to the shop to let that one sleeve a little out or not?

Since I'm not at home right now and I don't have my suit with me I'm not able to post some pictures.

I will definitely add some pictures later, but it would already be a nice issue to discuss.

Thanks,
That longer arm is probably due to having a low right shoulder. That kindof length discrepancy with balanced shoulders is uncommon. You should still post pics, but if it's because of a low shoulder, you can either have your tailor pad that shoulder out to raise it up a bit or recut the whole shoulder. One is cheaper than the other. You get that stuff fixed first or have the tailor place padding between your shoulder and the jacket's shoulder to raise it up. Then you look at the sleeves..

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablobob