The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Tailors, could you please comment on my shirt and sport coat?

I recently commissioned a local tailor to build the shirt. The SC is a J Crew.

Many thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

^Sloopy:

The shirt sleeves are too long -- notice the bunching of cloth around the wrist.

The jacket is too tight in the rear. The vent is flying open.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

There's no point in altering an mtm suit to that extent unless they absolutely will not remake it. Shoulders are too big and a little too square for you. You could pad them out to lift them up a little but you said you want to take the pads out? Your right shoulder is VERY low and that should be compensated for in the measurements. Too much drape in the chest. Back would look ok when cleaned up. Shortening the jacket? That'll throw the pocket proportions off as well as the button stance.
    This is an mtm suit...who took the measurements? This is a bizarre result.

4. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

5. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

You need some more light when you're photographing a dark suit. It's very hard to see anything.
    Even tho the pants look unfinished, wear shoes next time. I'd recommend all new pics. Take 6 pics. Side front and back. 3 with your jacket off. 3 with your jacket on.

6. Magnicusser

Magnicusser Member

Hi guys,

First-time poster but I've been lurking for ages!

I recently bought myself a new OTR suit and I was wondering if you guys might have the same problem concerning you body measurements.
    Actually whilst trying the suit jacket I didn't recognise that my right arm was slightly longer than my left arm.

Yesterday I ordered two MTM Maffeis shirts. Whilst measureing, the tailor told me that the difference between my two arms should be around 1 to 1.5 cm (1/2 inch).

My question to you now is whether I should take the suit jacket back to the shop to let that one sleeve a little out or not?

Since I'm not at home right now and I don't have my suit with me I'm not able to post some pictures.

I will definitely add some pictures later, but it would already be a nice issue to discuss.

Thanks,

7. gotmoo

gotmoo Member

sorry double post

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. gotmoo

gotmoo Member

Hi all, just got this new MTM suit. Please ignore the shirt, forgot to bring a better one.

I feel that the shoulders are a bit wide, and asked them to take it in by 0.5 inch on each side (the least they do...). I also feel that the armholes are somewhat anteriorly rotated, causing the appearance on the side. There's also quite a bit of bunching up on the back side of the arms.

Any suggestions for tailoring would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. kylepw

kylepw Member

Any idea on what's going on with the left arm near my armpit? Sleeve pitch issue?

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

It drapes like this on the body of the coat because of your low left shoulder. The sleeve needs to be pressed properly. Did you try to steam out wrinkles in the sleeve? If this is your natural posture, the left arm hangs forward more than the right.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  11. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

Sleeve pitch issue.

12. gotmoo

gotmoo Member

Thanks! Is that the only issue with it?...so rotating the sleeve would fix it?

13. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

That longer arm is probably due to having a low right shoulder. That kindof length discrepancy with balanced shoulders is uncommon. You should still post pics, but if it's because of a low shoulder, you can either have your tailor pad that shoulder out to raise it up a bit or recut the whole shoulder. One is cheaper than the other. You get that stuff fixed first or have the tailor place padding between your shoulder and the jacket's shoulder to raise it up. Then you look at the sleeves..