• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello, here are some photos of my first online MTM shirt. For the fit I used body measurements. I realise that the sleeves are too short and I would really appreciate any other advice on what I should change for my next order. Thanks in advance.

http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/5e/5e74b1f6_33346418.jpeg]
350x485px-LL-5e74b1f6_33346418.jpeg
[/URL]

Make the sleeves longer but make the cuff circumference smaller too. Ask if they have an option for low shoulders, your right shoulder is lower and causes the wrinkles under your right arm.

navil

Reaction score
a tailor and Despos, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my query. I hadn't noticed the low shoulder in the photos but I can now see it. I will inform the company and see if they can compensate for it.

NAVIL:
you have a right low shoulder \. check the tutorials. measure and let them know
also send them pictures #1-6-10-11. along with your comments.
the front is tight. and the waist is too full at the back, but the hips are fine.

I actually had already sent them all of the photos. Here is their reply:

You can let out the yoke about 1" more, then add a little more to your sleeves.
You'll need to take in the waist and hips too.

We hope these help.

What do you both think of this advice?

LJubel328

Reaction score
Here are some better pictures of the double breasted sport coat I posted a while back. I got this one tailored at Wilshire Tailors in LA, mentioned on here for doing great jobs, but for me it still seems full in the body (as well as another SC I got tailored there).

If a tailor could comment on these I would appreciate it.

Second SC is a 38R Isaia I got awhile back. Should I size down?

Thank you! :D

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

a tailor and Despos, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my query. I hadn't noticed the low shoulder in the photos but I can now see it. I will inform the company and see if they can compensate for it.

I actually had already sent them all of the photos. Here is their reply:

You can let out the yoke about 1" more, then add a little more to your sleeves. 
You'll need to take in the waist and hips too.

We hope these help.

What do you both think of this advice?

are they telling you about future orders,or altering this one?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here are some better pictures of the double breasted sport coat I posted a while back. I got this one tailored at Wilshire Tailors in LA, mentioned on here for doing great jobs, but for me it still seems full in the body (as well as another SC I got tailored there).

If a tailor could comment on these I would appreciate it.

Second SC is a 38R Isaia I got awhile back. Should I size down?

Thank you! :D

Not sure you want to take in the DB more than you have. The back lays against your back well enough and the shoulders are a touch wide but will look bigger if you reduce the body more.

The tan jacket is too big and has a balance problem. short back. Wouldn't fool with it. The generic styling/cut doesn't do anything for you and the size of the patch pockets look out of proportion.

Last edited:

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you guys give me a quick eyeing up on this try-on and tell me what you would do? I'm right in between a 42 and a 44 so I've got a 42R try-on right now that is slim-cut. I'm having a suit made for me but want to learn what needs correcting for my own educational experience.

I jacked the exposure way up as the lighting was horrible and wanted to see if it would help pick up the creases and lines on the black fabric. Sorry the phone pics are so horrible. :fu:

Aside from the jacket obviously being too small, here are my own amateur observations from top to bottom of jacket:

1. Shoulders need to be let out.
2. Shoulders need to be lowered due to diagonal creasing around the rear armpits.
3. Upper back or blades needs to be let out.
4. Sleevehead needs rotating due to creasing along back of arms? (Not sure about what's causing this; arm tilting backwards?)
5. Chest needs to be let out.
6. Can't tell if the lapel would need shortening or if that's just the chest needing to be let out.
7. Either the rear waist or the front (I'm thinking rear waist) will need to be let out.
8. Not sure what needs to happen with the seat and skirt (other than one or the other needs letting out)
9. Jacket will need to be lengthened (Not sure how much).
10. Sleeves obviously need lengthening.

So, what have I missed or gotten wrong?

hyt123

Reaction score
Aside from the jacket obviously being too small, here are my own amateur observations from top to bottom of jacket:
2. Shoulders need to be lowered due to diagonal creasing around the rear armpits.
4. Sleevehead needs rotating due to creasing along back of arms? (Not sure about what's causing this; arm tilting backwards?)
6. Can't tell if the lapel would need shortening or if that's just the chest needing to be let out.
7. Either the rear waist or the front (I'm thinking rear waist) will need to be let out.
8. Not sure what needs to happen with the seat and skirt (other than one or the other needs letting out)
9. Jacket will need to be lengthened (Not sure how much).
10. Sleeves obviously need lengthening.
So, what have I missed or gotten wrong?

Put on a jacket that actually fits, then post/ask again. It's useless and a waste of time to critique a fit where everything that is possibly wrong, is wrong.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your request doesn't make much sense. Beyond what you had said, your posture is erect and the balance is off, jacket is too short. But why post a picture of a jacket that is the wrong size??? The issues you would learn will be different on a jacket that is your size than one the is 2 sizes too small.

Last edited:

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your request doesn't make much sense. Beyond what you had said, your posture is erect and the balance is off, jacket is too short. But why post a picture of a jacket that is the wrong size??? The issues you would learn will be different on a jacket that is your size than one the is 2 sizes too small.

I'll try and go back later this afternoon and try on the 44, which was too large and snap some photos of that.

As I said about the smaller 42, it was just a try-on to see what the problems were when I had a smaller jacket on. I'm more interested in the educational process of seeing what the problem is when you see creases in certain parts of the jacket, or balance issues as Chris mentioned with the front and back of a jacket (or the fact that I had an erect posture; which I didn't know).

I obviously wouldn't choose that 42; I just want to test my assessment skills when I try on a jacket that is either too big or too small so I know what to look for in each part of the jacket. Does that make sense? :embar:

I'll post some pics of the too-large 44, if that will help get more feedback.

Last edited:

Jmay419

Reaction score
It won't specifically say that it is done by Isaia. I have three of these suits due to family that work within Saks. These suits do in fact come from Isaia; they come in great fabrics but lower end Isaia construction.

aglass

Reaction score
So, first time posting a fit on this site! Feel free to tear it to shreds. I apologize in advance for the poor iPhone pictures, but my camera just died. I just had this altered at a tailor's and I wanted to get some better eyes than mine on it. I'm planning on wearing it to a wedding:

The suit is a Brooks Brothers 41L Fitzgerald (thank you, Steve Smith!) - I'm typically a 40L, but the Fitz' shoulders are pretty small (this is 17.75 - I have 18' shoulders) so I sized up. To my untuned eye, it looks pretty good... FIRE AWAY!!!

(Thanks!)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You've been here 2 years and you think this is all possible? Lurk moar

Jacket doesn't fit anywhere

Last edited:

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've been here 2 years and you think this is all possible? Lurk moar
Jacket doesn't fit anywhere

I don't think I've made myself clear so I'll try again because it was a very busy day for me while I posted the photos and I'm wondering if, due to said busyness, that the one critical detail I left out will put this all into context.

I am about to purchase another bespoke suit. The try-on in the photo was just to see if I would fall between a 42 and a 44 since the last suit was purchased last year and I'm in the process of dropping some weight. I haven't purchased the 42 try-on in the photo; I don't want the 42 try-on in the photo because I know it doesn't fit.

I am simply looking from a hypothetical standpoint of what changes would need to be made to a 42 jacket for me in this instance. In the photos.

The tailor who will be making my suit (a 3-piece Loro Piana) knows what they're doing, but I don't and so I'm simply asking for the feedback of the respected tailors on StyleForum as to what they are seeing when they look at the photos for my own personal education and gratification.

For example, the rumples on the backs of the sleeves. Will rotating the sleeveheads correct the problem? The diagonal creases running towards the rear arm pits in the back photo: what's causing those? And so on and so forth. I just want to learn something and hopefully that desire doesn't make me daft. I've purchased from this tailor in the past and I know what kind of work they do and trust them, I just simply want to learn for myself and maybe any feedback given will help some of the other guys posting on here about what they are seeing in the mirror when they put a suit on that they have doubts about.

Does that clear anything up and hopefully put an end to the lurk moar noob comments or is what I'm asking still crazy? If it is crazy, I'll just drop it and try and find some other resources that will help educate me.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Still crazy. You're wearing a jacket which is objectively too small in every aspect, so what you're asking is inane. If you want useful suggestions, find a jacket which fits reasonably well, take pics, and ask again. Or, just ask the tailor (whom you say you trust) when you're in the room and in front of the mirror. That person has the advantage of seeing you in three dimensions and in motion.

TL/DR?: You're doing it wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads