• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a tailor in NY for some waist suppression on the jacket, and pants need to be taken in a pinch

Al H.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to go back to the original tailor at Nordstrom's and ask him why he made the adjustments the way he did, which may give the next tailor some insight should I try to take it somewhere else and "repair" it.

The jacket came with some small darts in it already, I had asked the tailor at first if he could add them in because they are so subtle that I could not tell. I wonder if they can be expanded. Not sure how much worse the situation can get, but I'll find out soon I guess. Thanks again.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to go back to the original tailor at Nordstrom's and ask him why he made the adjustments the way he did, which may give the next tailor some insight should I try to take it somewhere else and "repair" it.

The jacket came with some small darts in it already, I had asked the tailor at first if he could add them in because they are so subtle that I could not tell. I wonder if they can be expanded. Not sure how much worse the situation can get, but I'll find out soon I guess. Thanks again.

He altered it that way because that's all you can do on a ready made garment. Darts serve a specific purpose and are done at the first stages of construction, not added as an alteration adjustment. The adjustments I mentioned are posture adjustments and it is rare to find someone that wants to put the time and effort into making adjustments for posture. Even when you do there is no guarantee of a 100% result due to limitations of a finished garment. For posture fixes to a garment, MTM or custom route is the way to go.

Al H.

Reaction score
Despos: would you have any suggestions on how the button stance should be altered to perhaps make the front appear less boxy or bulky?

doogoshly

Reaction score
posted earlier in the thread but didn't get a response bc i was an idiot and didn't take pictures correctly. sorry for reposting but just wanted to get some opinions before i go to the tailor tomorrow. if it's at all helpful, i'm a 42 chest, 32 waist, 5'10", 180lbs. thank you.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

posted earlier in the thread but didn't get a response bc i was an idiot and didn't take pictures correctly. sorry for reposting but just wanted to get some opinions before i go to the tailor tomorrow. if it's at all helpful, i'm a 42 chest, 32 waist, 5'10", 180lbs. thank you.

looks as though you have a slightly low right shoulder.
otherwise the jacket looks pretty good except for the sleeves.
they need to be rehung to match the way your arms hang.
but first get the coat pressed to be sure it is not packing wrinkles.
or were you holding your arms at an odd angle?

cammy035

Reaction score
Trying to decide between two sizes of a particular blazer - would greatly appreciate some guidance/advice on whether the 38 or 40 fits better/could be altered/or if neither work. I've just begun trying to find clothes that actually fit, for the first time, and am in the process of building a new wardrobe. Regardless of which blazer is a better fit, I know I will have to have it altered by a good tailor - just want to get your opinion on which one fits best. The first 6 pics are of the size 38 blazer. I think it looks preferable to the 40, but it makes even a moderately slim shirt, such as the Gant Rugger 'Hugger" plaid oxford I'm wearing, scrunch up in the front. The 40 seems big, but I guessed it could be altered enough. My apologies for the poor image quality, and the obvious tucking in of the merchant tags.
Size 38 Blazer:

Size 40 Blazer:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
My opinion is that the size 40 is vastly better. My opinion also isn't really worth ****.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 38 is pulling and too tight. Both are (likely soon to be out of) fashionably short with a relatively high buttoning point. I would recommend more traditional proportions...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Trying to decide between two sizes of a particular blazer - would greatly appreciate some guidance/advice on whether the 38 or 40 fits better/could be altered/or if neither work.  I've just begun trying to find clothes that actually fit, for the first time, and am in the process of building a new wardrobe. Regardless of which blazer is a better fit, I know I will have to have it altered by a good tailor - just want to get your opinion on which one fits best. The first 6 pics are of the size 38 blazer. I think it looks preferable to the 40, but it makes even a moderately slim shirt, such as the Gant Rugger 'Hugger" plaid oxford I'm wearing, scrunch up in the front. The 40 seems big, but I guessed it could be altered enough. My apologies for the poor image quality, and the obvious tucking in of the merchant tags.
Size 38 Blazer:

Size 40 Blazer:
[ATTACHMENT=2817]38-1.jpg (21k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

. An unstructured make like this looks better with an easy relaxed fit . The 40 creates a better expression of the styling on you. The 38 looks small.

navil

Reaction score
Hello, here are some photos of my first online MTM shirt. For the fit I used body measurements. I realise that the sleeves are too short and I would really appreciate any other advice on what I should change for my next order. Thanks in advance.

darkbat

Reaction score

Just had my first suit made by Lee Baron in Hong Kong. Thoughts? I'm a newbie but my first impression is that the jacket is a little too long. Is it possible to shorten it? Any other details I should be aware of?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the jacket... IMHO if anything is a bit long it's the sleeves, not the jacket itself, but maybe it's just the shirt sleeves being short. The closed quarters look weird too but if that's what you want... Also, when I get that bunching on the thighs it usually means the pants are too long in the back. I'd say they are a little on the long side overall.

Now let the true pros dissect it :p

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NAVIL:

you have a right low shoulder \. check the tutorials. measure it and let them know
also send them pictures #1-6-10-11. along with your comments.
the front is tight. and the waist is too full at the back, but the hips are fine.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just had my first suit made by Lee Baron in Hong Kong. Thoughts? I'm a newbie but my first impression is that the jacket is a little too long. Is it possible to shorten it? Any other details I should be aware of?

the coat does not look too long from the front we need a back view.
the sleeves are a personal choice. but i think 1/2 of shirt sleeve looks nice.
rdiaz is right the front looks too blah. the quarters need a curve front .
look at some other examples. like dooggoshly, up above.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads