• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I think this will change when worn with a proper shirt. This is a pretty casual Oxford shirt. The low cut horseshoe is one of my favourite parts of the suit.
Please prove me wrong soon as the rest of the set looks amazing. Would like to see it in its full glory.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seconded. Would've loved it more with lapels on the waistcoat though.

I do t like lapels on black tie waistcoats, so unfortunately you're never gonna see that from me.

thatitalian

Reaction score
Curious on the jacket length, it looks a little short. Love the lapels though, gives it a real vintage roaring 20's look, and the buttoning position looks perfect; I prefer it a little higher on a dinner jacket.

But for God's sake man, get some opera pumps ;-)

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious on the jacket length, it looks a little short. Love the lapels though, gives it a real vintage roaring 20's look, and the buttoning position looks perfect; I prefer it a little higher on a dinner jacket.

But for God's sake man, get some opera pumps ;-)

:lol: and I thought I was ambitious putting on a bow tie for the final fitting...

paxonus

Reaction score
Anyone know when cloth-covered buttons came into general use for black/white tie? This one is from the 50's and has plain buttons.

RL-poppy1628.1L.jpg

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cloth covered buttons has been around for white tie since (at least) the 1800s, which means it's always been an option for black tie.

The Bronx Bull

Reaction score
The black tie set up I mentioned earlier in this thread for my wedding was a success. Thanks for the opinions.
  • Hickey Freeman Peak Lapel Tux, tailored locally
  • Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece full dress shirt (detachable stiff wing collar, single cuffs) - highly recommend this shirt
  • TM Lewin fixed-length satin bow tie
  • Brooks Brothers black satin cummerbund
  • Shipton and Heneage Opera Pumps - these are fantastic shoes
  • J Press onyx/gold studs and links
  • Brooks Brothers formal braces and silk hose
  • 1951 Bulova dress watch onyx/gold
II6Q3kS.png

k7Zo7u9.jpg

pa0NIm8.png

Aas8F3J.png

4f6z2gz.png

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you both look amazing! The only thing I would change is the pocket type on the jacket and go for jetted pockets for a more traditional look. Easily fixed by just tucking the flaps inside the pocket. Again this is just my preference, you DO look great on these fotos!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black tie set up I mentioned earlier in this thread for my wedding was a success. Thanks for the opinions.

Congratulations! You do, indeed, both look fantastic. I wish you a long and happy life together.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If liking wing collar shirts is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
That said, love the cummerbund. Rules aside, it's extremely flattering on an athletic frame.

The Bronx Bull

Reaction score
If liking wing collar shirts is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
That said, love the cummerbund. Rules aside, it's extremely flattering on an athletic frame.

Thanks! I think that some of the disdain for wing collars comes from the cheap ones you see at tux rental places. The collar is very soft and it just doesn't look right. I will say I was very impressed with this Brooks Brothers shirt - the detachable collar is extremely stiff, and looks fantastic.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to mess around with even more height on the collar, Budd has one that works well.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think that some of the disdain for wing collars comes from the cheap ones you see at tux rental places. The collar is very soft and it just doesn't look right. I will say I was very impressed with this Brooks Brothers shirt - the detachable collar is extremely stiff, and looks fantastic.
Not really a matter of function/performance. It's just one of those random things that feels wrong to me. No logical rationale for it, much like my preferences to avoid (non-black tie, of course) suede shoes and cotton ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads