• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
After much planning, finally have ordered everything for my first black tie rig! Appreciate all the knowledge from this thread.

Have pulled the trigger on:
  • Black single breasted, one button peak lapel tuxedo from No Man Walks Alone x Sartoria Carrara (wool/mohair blend from the Drapers Bingley bunch with satin facings)
  • Covered placket tuxedo shirt from The Armoury x 100 Hands
  • Cufflinks from Codis Maya
  • Black satin bowtie and cummerbund from Sam Hober
  • Will likely just get a high shine on my AE Park Avenues, rather than buy patent leather, but may change my mind on footwear as I get closer
Nice! Let’s see some photos when you’ve got it all sorted. Don’t forget a crisp white linen pocket square if you don’t have one. Hober is a great source for that as well.

jeremygo

Reaction score
Nice! Let’s see some photos when you’ve got it all sorted. Don’t forget a crisp white linen pocket square if you don’t have one. Hober is a great source for that as well.
There will be many photos! Yes, I have a Drake's white linen pocket square I picked up for my wedding I hope to repurpose - good call!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the brands are for this outfit? I won't lie, I really like it.
They’re listed in the pics that the poster took them from (IG account @UrbanComposition)
After much planning, finally have ordered everything for my first black tie rig! Appreciate all the knowledge from this thread.

Have pulled the trigger on:
  • Black single breasted, one button peak lapel tuxedo from No Man Walks Alone x Sartoria Carrara (wool/mohair blend from the Drapers Bingley bunch with satin facings)
  • Covered placket tuxedo shirt from The Armoury x 100 Hands
  • Cufflinks from Codis Maya
  • Black satin bowtie and cummerbund from Sam Hober
  • Will likely just get a high shine on my AE Park Avenues, rather than buy patent leather, but may change my mind on footwear as I get closer
Some nice choices there. Yes, definitely need pics when all those bits come together.

Lensmaster

Reaction score
Because I am slim and regular fit looks very baggy in the body for me. Reviews for Hawes and Curtis are mixed. I think I will go bespoke, probably shawl collar.
Many people today have the image in their head that a very close fit, almost tight, is the proper look, and anything looser is baggy. Classic fit is not some specific dimensions that will look off on someone who is skinny or large. That impression can sadly be reinforced with some off the rack suits. Classic fit measurements vary on every person. The idea is for the jacket and pants to have enough room to hang nicely but not extra material. The extremes are todays suits being so tight they look like sausage casings, and the 1990s when suits were way too big. The best way to get a properly fitted suit is bespoke. The second best, which I do because I am not made of money, is to get a classic fit suit off the rack and have a tailor make adjustments to your body.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot (1344).png

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm seriously considering removing the top row and having it as a 2x1 which still looks good....but I won't look like Humphrey bogart in Casablanca!!! 🥸😩
Good stuff with a small stylistic quibble. The second row of buttons seems, at best, superfluous. The wide lapels really push the second row out very wide. Why not skip the second row as they are non-functional and a bit incongruous being so far out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads