• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok. Zeroing in on the NYE wedding ensemble. Here are my current thoughts.

Jacket: Divij Bespoke/Hemrajani shawl lapel black watch dinner jacket.
Trousers: Black Steed MTM formal trousers

IMG_1392.jpeg

Shirt: Hemrajani formal shirt with faux pleat front.
Tie & Waist: Black grosgrain silk tie & cummerbund from Edward Armah.
Pocket Square: White silk with black pin dots by Robert Talbot
Braces: Trafalgar limited edition silk formal braces (“Puttin’ on the Ritz”)
Stud set: sterling silver and onyx by Jan Leslie
Shoes & Stockings: Red silk formal stockings from Ben Silver and black velvet slippers with crown motif from Bullock & Jones
Watch (not shown): 1920’s vintage IWC dress pocket watch in an 18k gold case on an 18k gold chain.
IMG_1397.jpeg

Thoughts?

dougc33

Reaction score

View attachment 2067059

Shoes & Stockings: Red silk formal stockings from Ben Silver and black velvet slippers with crown motif from Bullock & Jones
Watch (not shown): 1920’s vintage IWC dress pocket watch in an 18k gold case on an 18k gold chain.
View attachment 2067063

Thoughts?
Think about matching your metals - seems like everything is silver ex your watch. But that's truly a first-world issue...

quigleysr

Reaction score
Great thread.

I'm starting to dabble in the black-tie circuit, and I have a very nice, slim Dior tuxedo (peaked-lapel jacket, striped trousers, if that's the term). I wear it with a Dior black bow tie.

I have a bevy of white dress shirts, but no cuffed versions (all buttons).

There's a charity ball in Philadelphia which I'm interested in attending. It's old school.

The invitation says "White Tie for men (Black Tie accepted). / Floor Length Evening Gowns for Women"

I feel like the Black Tie accepted would be almost disappointing, however, maybe I'm off and that'll be more common than gents actually going in white tie.

One other option, and is this completely off, could I wear the Dior tux, and just purchase a white bow tie, cummerbund, different white shirt with cuffs, and...gloves?

If you are willing to share, I am curious what event you are considering. I always thought the now-defunct Academy Ball was the last major white tie event around here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a charity ball in Philadelphia which I'm interested in attending. It's old school.

The invitation says "White Tie for men (Black Tie accepted). / Floor Length Evening Gowns for Women"

I feel like the Black Tie accepted would be almost disappointing, however, maybe I'm off and that'll be more common than gents actually going in white tie.

One other option, and is this completely off, could I wear the Dior tux, and just purchase a white bow tie, cummerbund, different white shirt with cuffs, and...gloves?

I'm familiar with this event, although I haven't gone myself personally. By all accounts, its a mix of a lot of badly rented white tie and black tie rigs.

Personally, I'd rather wear a proper well fitting black tie rig than a poorly done/poorly fitted white tie rig.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, that makes sense above, ha. If I were to go, I'd 100% do the perfectly fitted and attired black-tie ensemble.

Here's the link, it's the Philadelphia Charity Ball. https://www.philadelphiacharityball.com/

I've never been before either, but saw it listed in Philadelphia Magazine and thought it looked interesting, especially the white-tie element. I recently finished a rather esoteric booked called the Perennial Philadelphians on the subject of old-Philadelphians, and it brought this type of event to mind.

I imagine I could still go, even though there's a note saying that reservations should be made before now, however, it almost seems too intimate in some ways, so wonder if I'd be too socially awkward for such a gala. ;)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, that makes sense above, ha. If I were to go, I'd 100% do the perfectly fitted and attired black-tie ensemble.

Here's the link, it's the Philadelphia Charity Ball. https://www.philadelphiacharityball.com/

I've never been before either, but saw it listed in Philadelphia Magazine and thought it looked interesting, especially the white-tie element. I recently finished a rather esoteric booked called the Perennial Philadelphians on the subject of old-Philadelphians, and it brought this type of event to mind.

I imagine I could still go, even though there's a note saying that reservations should be made before now, however, it almost seems too intimate in some ways, so wonder if I'd be too socially awkward for such a gala. ;)

Ah, I was thinking the Academy of Music Gala, which was also white tie

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to soon acquire a pair of standalone formal trousers. Black barathea is my first choice, but should I also consider midnight blue (mohair blend)? The intent would be to wear them as separates with dinner jackets. I know @Andy57 has tremendous success pairing midnight blue formal trousers with dinner jackets, but I haven’t reached that sartorial level of black tie mastery… yet. So, what say ye? Should I prioritize one over the other? What’s the prevailing wisdom on this?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think it makes much difference really. Your choice. If it’s a true midnight you won’t notice much difference. My last tux I had both a midnight (the color of the tux) and a black pair made. I tend to wear the black pair with alternate dinner jackets mainly to reduce wear on the main pair. But I’ve worn both.

I recently got a tartan pair. Going to be trying those out at a holiday party in a couple of weeks. 😝

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to soon acquire a pair of standalone formal trousers. Black barathea is my first choice, but should I also consider midnight blue (mohair blend)? The intent would be to wear them as separates with dinner jackets. I know @Andy57 has tremendous success pairing midnight blue formal trousers with dinner jackets, but I haven’t reached that sartorial level of black tie mastery… yet. So, what say ye? Should I prioritize one over the other? What’s the prevailing wisdom on this?
If you don't have a black pair or if this is your first pair, then you should get black.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2067059

View attachment 2067063

Thoughts?
Are you quite sure about the socks?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you quite sure about the socks?
Not entirely. Just a thought. Red are recommended as an alternative in ‘Dressing the Man’ I believe. But it might be a bridge too far in this case.

Plus, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has exercised veto power over the insignia slippers. I’ll likely go with plain black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads