• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not suggest herringbone or any pattern or texture, especially for a tailcoat. In my opinion, white tie, unlike black tie, leaves no room for interpretation.
I have seen som really nice vintage midnight blue white tie rigs, other than that I agree with Andy. White tie is white tie.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a thin, lightweight grosgrain cummerbund? I find that the one I have adds way too much bulk to my midsection and caused my dinner jacket to form an X when buttoned. Unfortunately I cannot let out my jacket anymore.

I'm willing to consider polyester if it comes to it!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a thin, lightweight grosgrain cummerbund? I find that the one I have adds way too much bulk to my midsection and caused my dinner jacket to form an X when buttoned. Unfortunately I cannot let out my jacket anymore.

I'm willing to consider polyester if it comes to it!
Get one made by sam hober! It's about the same price as most standard new ones but you get to decide silk type and length

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the Liceau Opera House in Barcelona last night. The whole orchestra was dressed head-toe in black. Not a fan.

rollerkilt

Reaction score
I wonder how many in the orchestra think all black is sophisticated / edgy / modern, and how many wonder why they have to dress as if they were in the pit.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have lost a lot of weight, and my old tux didn't fit any more. Our community orchestra is planning our first concert in two years, in December. I ordered a new MTM tuxedo suit. On Monday, I got the call that the tux had arrived and I should come in for the final fitting. On Tuesday, at a production meeting via zoom, the music director said he wanted to ditch the black tie in favor of "concert black." ??

Canadianguy

Reaction score
I’m a cellist and often play with orchestras. I had my black tie rig made primarily for performances, but more often than not get asked to wear “concert black” as well. I think it’s a misguided attempt to the make the performances more accessible and modern. To me, a symphonic concert should feel like a celebration not a funeral.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only concert black imo that I would do is a black silk nehru jacket or sbpl or db paired with a rollneck sweater

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know its not Black Tie per se...but could you just wear a black shirt with your new tux rig? I'm not familiar with the Concert Black dress code...
Yes, I could, and I probably would if it comes to that. I could also do a black suit, which I think would be more likely for me than the tux, for use with a black shirt. Sometimes I wear a black suit for a matinee.

There's sure to be a cellist in black jeans and a black T-shirt. Not a slur against cellists (slurs are reserved for violists) but it's just that I know that one guy in the cello section ...

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a cellist and often play with orchestras. I had my black tie rig made primarily for performances, but more often than not get asked to wear “concert black” as well. I think it’s a misguided attempt to the make the performances more accessible and modern. To me, a symphonic concert should feel like a celebration not a funeral.
Well, the performance was actually Britten’s War Requiem so ….

物の哀れ

Reaction score
1634944435133.png

1634944447613.png

1634944472331.png

1634944483513.png

1634944496201.png

1634944507959.png

1634944576536.png

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Sorry not sorry to keep refloating Jason Momoa here, but they made a pretty fun short of him having these recent garments made on Savile Row. Seems rather into it and just as stoked as one of us would be to be getting fitted there.

Put a shirt on dude.

I don't think he has ever actually done that before, or at least not for work, anyway. Like, not even once. This goes back like 25 years.

NSFW: DWW-style photodump, but more fun.

MV5BOTM2NDExNDY3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE2MDcxNQ@@._V1_.jpg
1504279506-khal.jpg

Jason-Momoa-Aquaman-Diet-and-Workout-Plan-Jason-Mamoa-Acquaman-2.jpg

He did textbook black tie for the 007 premiere so we know it can be done. When he breaks the rules in such an outlandish manner when he clearly knows them, I figure he's just having fun channeling one of his characters.

luca_defumo

Reaction score
A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of taking part in "Milano su Misura". These are the shoes I created for the gala in black tie, a pair of seamless whole cut Oxford in Black Annonay Vocalou box calf. As soon as we receive the official photographs I will also post the ones of the suit, created by a friend of mine, the young tailor Mario Iannetta.
IMG_9789.jpg
IMG_3105.JPG

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Sorry not sorry to keep refloating Jason Momoa here, but they made a pretty fun short of him having these recent garments made on Savile Row. Seems rather into it and just as stoked as one of us would be to be getting fitted there.

I don't think he has ever actually done that before, or at least not for work, anyway. Like, not even once. This goes back like 25 years.

NSFW: DWW-style photodump, but more fun.
He did textbook black tie for the 007 premiere so we know it can be done. When he breaks the rules in such an outlandish manner when he clearly knows them, I figure he's just having fun channeling one of his characters.

Well said. A little gratuitous on the shirtless pics though I must say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads