• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost certainly not. I suspect his man or woman can tie him a practically perfect knot.

I don't doubt that he can tie a bow-tie. But this is a pre-tied one. Look closely. No one can tie a knot like that because it's not a knot. Besides, the lack of tail ends is a dead giveaway.

rs_600x600-180519112847-600.prince-harry-meghan-markle-reception.ct.051918.jpg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the by, isn't it interesting that someone like Harry is given the benefit of the (very large) doubt on this? As if it's more likely that British Royals have some access to perfection that no one else does rather than being susceptible to buying cheap ties. Says something very interesting about our perception of the royal family v. all others.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice he is wearing a 'rheumatism' bracelet, something he could have got from the classifieds of the Daily Express. I have come around to the plain shirt lately but balance things by now wearing a cummerbund.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was happy to see him rock a velvet jacket. Difficult to overlook the missing cummerbund though - he could at least button the jacket.

That was my first thought, but I passed on a cummerbund for Cannes this year. (That sounds more glamorous that it actually was -- my wife and I were guests of one of the festival sponsors, along with thousands of other people...)

FWIW, I don't own a tux, but for the Han Solo premiere and afterparty I went with a col chale (shawl) and a narrow black tie rather than a noeud papillon. My morbid reasoning: I could buy the tie and use it at a funeral, but I also didn't want a cummerbund, and the tie would make that OK.

Donald Glover's light slate blue tux was incredible. I don't know if he chose it but it was the winner.

The actual red carpet experience: If you're not a celeb or model/influencer, you shuffle forward, your designated photog stops you for a few snaps, then handlers shove you up the steps to make room for the stars/producers/money men/oligarchs' girlfriends...but it was cool anyway.

palk

Reaction score
Donald Glover's light slate blue tux was incredible. I don't know if he chose it but it was the winner.
Winner... of a 70's costume contest. Pardon me for being rude, but there's nothing 'tux' at all about his kit except perhaps the shirt.

Donald-Glover-Cannes-2018-Solo-Star-Wars-Story-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-7.jpg

Donald-Glover-Cannes-2018-Solo-Star-Wars-Story-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-9.jpg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winner... of a 70's costume contest. Pardon me for being rude, but there's nothing 'tux' at all about his kit except perhaps the shirt.

Donald-Glover-Cannes-2018-Solo-Star-Wars-Story-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-7.jpg

Donald-Glover-Cannes-2018-Solo-Star-Wars-Story-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-9.jpg

The definition of "tux" at Cannes is pretty loose, but it is the dress code. It was a warm spring evening, everyone was happy (probably because they were at a Star Wars premiers and not some South Korean art film!) and loose. Traditional black tie wasn't really the way to go. He was arm in arm with an actor in a wookie suit and stormtroopers. Plus, it fit with his character in the film.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of laces, I just ordered a set of satin ribbon laces for my Yohei Fukuda Lakes (plain toe oxford) that are getting delivered tomorrow. My fiancée has made one request for our wedding re: my attire: that I do not wear my EG pumps, and I figured that was tacit approval to order a pair of Fukudas that I had been eyeing. I figured satin ribbon laces would be the best way to dress up a calf oxford (albeit polished to a deep mirror shine) and make it appear more black tie appropriate for our black tie wedding next month.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think at a certain point we just need to accept that movie stars are something entirely different than they were even thirty years ago. The culture is different. Thus, the clothes are different. I'm sure this can be frustrating when so many of us are all kitted out and ready to go, and yet we have far fewer and less public occasions for formal wear. "I could have done it so much better!" Perhaps true but it's a different world. I don't usually care for it but the stars of the galaxy make use of their clothes in ways that are useful for them.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think at a certain point we just need to accept that movie stars are something entirely different than they were even thirty years ago. The culture is different. Thus, the clothes are different. I'm sure this can be frustrating when so many of us are all kitted out and ready to go, and yet we have far fewer and less public occasions for formal wear. "I could have done it so much better!" Perhaps true but it's a different world. I don't usually care for it but the stars of the galaxy make use of their clothes in ways that are useful for them.

I agree. It's about social media impressions.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, any particular reason for disallowing the pumps?
She just doesn’t like how they look, reminds her too much of ballet experiences as a child I think. I was given a wide berth as to what we could do with the dress code (hence the black tie dress code for an evening wedding) but she had the one request for me I was happy to agree to

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pixelized