• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

J011yroger

Reaction score

BT, or Creative BT?  I've contemplated hosting one with the dress code "Completely Ridiculous, Ugly, Black Tie" in honour of the real event's attendees.  I think I'll wear a green shirt, bolo tie, elephant feet slippers, and top hat.

Funny, I was thinking that I would likely not only be the most properly dressed at my party, but also the actual awards.

J

J011yroger

Reaction score
I could see myself wearing a stroller to a daytime wedding because almost no one would know what it was. Wearing a cutaway coat I could see looking like I was trying to show up the wedding party similar to wearing a dinner suit when the other guests were in lounge suits.

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Part of me is quite sad I don't live in the UK, since I cannot wear my morning coat (as we call it in the civilized world
cheers.gif
) to anyone else's wedding without looking like a dick.

J011yroger

Reaction score
I might have to find a few like minded individuals and go out to brunch bi-monthly. The womenfolk are always looking for an opportunity to dress up for no particular reason, so they will be easy to convince especially when there is champagne to be had.

J

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Styleforum meetup in DC next Thursday -- dress code is "Black Tie Recommended". I'm sure photos will be posted. Kinda wish I had better shoes than Park Avenues to wear, but my feet are crazy narrow and my options are limited.

That said, Allen Edmonds recently released the Carlyle, which I just confirmed today can be special-ordered in an AA width. I'm aware that calf or patent would be the most proper choices... but can I get away with black shell? Part of me thinks the subtle sheen of shell would look better than either of the other two options, and since it's going to crease anyway (I'm in black tie half a dozen times a year) I think shell's rolls might be preferable to calf's hairline creasing or patent's blobbiness.

Opinions
seem
to vary.

Thoughts?

J011yroger

Reaction score

There's a Styleforum meetup in DC next Thursday -- dress code is "Black Tie Recommended". I'm sure photos will be posted. Kinda wish I had better shoes than Park Avenues to wear, but my feet are crazy narrow and my options are limited.

That said, Allen Edmonds recently released the Carlyle, which I just confirmed today can be special-ordered in an AA width. I'm aware that calf or patent would be the most proper choices... but can I get away with black shell? Part of me thinks the subtle sheen of shell would look better than either of the other two options, and since it's going to crease anyway (I'm in black tie half a dozen times a year) I think shell's rolls might be preferable to calf's hairline creasing or patent's blobbiness.

Opinions
seem
to vary.

Thoughts?

I wear 12A or 12AA park avenues and the AE opera pumps in 12A fit me amazingly.

My forefoot is average size but from about an inch behind my pinky toe to my heel is super narrow, and my feet are dead flat.

J

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear 12A or 12AA park avenues and the AE opera pumps in 12A fit me amazingly.

My forefoot is average size but from about an inch behind my pinky toe to my heel is super narrow, and my feet are dead flat.

J
I've looked again and again at their Ritz -- but the lines just don't do it for me compared to just about every other opera pump out there. If I'm to splurge on black-tie-exclusive footwear, I want it to look sublime. I'll probably stick with shell Carlyles and satin laces.

Ritz:

Classier (to me) offerings:

Thanks to both of you for chiming in!

J011yroger

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with the look and fit of the Ritz, but the ones with the quilted inside are just a whole level nicer.

Maybe when I get velvet slippers...

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with a $130 pair, and, so, was less picky. For what it's worth, my skinny feet fit into my CK guildfords with a vacuum like snugness. I honestly don't know my width, though. I'm a 7, so probably more small than narrow. I got them on zappos, so easy returns, if you wanted to try, but seems like you're accustomed to much better shoes.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has been equal parts frustrating and informative. I just purchased my first tux, and have only just now considered that I need a waist covering. I also just assumed that I'd pair it with Albert slippers, only to learn that they are only appropriate for private (home or club) affairs. FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuu. I thought I was done spending money on this rig.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has been equal parts frustrating and informative. I just purchased my first tux, and have only just now considered that I need a waist covering. I also just assumed that I'd pair it with Albert slippers, only to learn that they are only appropriate for private (home or club) affairs. FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuu. I thought I was done spending money on this rig.

If you pop round consignment shops, you can likely find a cummerbund for $20-$40. May not be the best one in the world, but will do the trick until you have the inclination to upgrade. Do you have plain toe, or cap toe, Oxfords? They are perfectly acceptable. Again, you can upgrade later, if you want something specific to BT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads