• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The smell good thread

Hatch&Whisk

Reaction score
anyone had any experience with CB I Hate Perfume? looks very interesting (perhaps kind of rediculous), but im curious about how spot on the scents are and if they are practical. smelling like black tea sounds rad but maybe i should just have some sort of tea rubdown in the morning instead of getting a spray

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Anyone have any history with Le Labo? Their Santal 26 candles are awesome, have some in my house.

I've been using le labo for 3 years now, one of my favorites.

Ordered myself a 4oz bottle of the Aventus, was considering the GIT and Himalaya as well but I'll give this one a shot first.

You ordered a cologne without sampling it?

and lol @ all the creed talk

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone had any experience with CB I Hate Perfume? looks very interesting (perhaps kind of rediculous), but im curious about how spot on the scents are and if they are practical. smelling like black tea sounds rad but maybe i should just have some sort of tea rubdown in the morning instead of getting a spray

Yes. They (he, actually) is all about evoking memories. The stuff is very interesting but not terribly wearable. Some are worth trying - Mr Hulot's Holiday is a good one, the moment you smell it you're transported back to vacations on the east coast - it smells frighteningly like a blustery day along the Atlantic. Russian Caravan Tea is identical to sweetened lemon Nestea powdered Iced Tea mix.

Aventus is nice if you get a good batch. The batch # is essential in determining if your bottle is a good or bad one. Read this http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/42777/scent-fragrance-of-the-day-thread/8730#post_4721127

I like it and have gotten compliments on it. It's a weird scent that hides from you although everyone else can smell it on you.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Anybody own/tried the Creed Aventus?

I've sampled this a few times and currently have a 30ml decant on the way (check Rambo's scent split thread) - it's basically a not overly sweet pineapple (sort of woody) plus some ashy combo... sounds strange but it's actually quite nice.

An interesting point on this one, even if you think it just smells 'meh', just my opinion, but I have strong reason to believe there are some very powerful aromachemicals at work in this one and it was also heavily influenced by test groups, because from what I've heard it gets serious compliments/attention IRL.

*Do note that there are major batch variations, so see the Scent of the Day thread for a link to the Basenotes thread that lists which batch has more/less of certain notes.

Anyone have any history with Le Labo? Their Santal 26 candles are awesome, have some in my house.

I've sampled many of their line, plus visited the store in NYC. My sense is they make some decent scents but the whole 'mixing it fresh' is a useless gimick and also many of them are overpriced for waht they are. Based on general popular opinion, the line's standouts seems to be Rose 31. The Santal has good reviews, and on a personal note I liked the labdanum and neroli, but for many like say bergamot, it's just overpriced for such a simple frag.

How about the Himalaya? Any comments on it?

I've only tested this one once but found it barely lasted and wasn't particularly interesting to smell. There was that one 'metalic' ('gunpowder') note, but otherwise I found it mostly a skin scent. So IMO Creed does bright fresh frags best.

their new Oud is quite promising!

anyone had any experience with CB I Hate Perfume? looks very interesting (perhaps kind of ridiculous), but im curious about how spot on the scents are and if they are practical. smelling like black tea sounds rad but maybe i should just have some sort of tea rubdown in the morning instead of getting a spray

i've tried a few of his creations... they're quite different from what people traditionally think of as 'cologne'. rather it's more like a smell of a place or a moment. he builds the scents based on memories or experiences. I think that his style pushes the artistic bounds of fragrance, but in reality I have trouble actually wearing most of the scents. they're worth smelling from an artistic perspective, and if you're someone who hates citrus/floral/wood cologne smells, then maybe you'll love his ones.
I only have one - Burning Leaves - which nails the concept, but there are many other more wearable fireplace like frags out there.

*note that his 'carrier' isn't alcohol, it's water. so they feel a little weird going on (like a spray of water that gets absorbed into the skin and leaves a bit of a sticky patch)

Also, Christopher the man is quite a character... flip through this amazing BBC documentary (link below) and you'll find interviews with him along with him showing how he makes a bespoke fragrance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCX827 (click "all videos" since the series "The Suit" is on autoload)
here's the link to the episode with him -

BTW, for those who find this all a little overwhelming, sample sample sample... check out sites like luckyscent, theperfumedcourt, etc. buy from reputable e-tailers like fragrancenet or scentedmonkey, etc and get the same stuff for 30-50% less than retail. Ebay's usually safe but if you're not sure than just avoid it.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Creed Aventus might not be overly "complex" or "deep" or whatever the hell people write in reviews but I picked up some from a split and I like it and it gets compliments. Good enough for me.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Diptyque Philosykos (figs like you can't believe. women love this almost as much as GIT)

Been meaning to try this one. it's not to Feminine is it?

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which one? Went to Joan's for lunch on Sat and stoped by the Le Labo store, was 2 seconds away from getting a parking ticket so I just picked up yet anoeehr Santal candle. Which cologne/fragrances of theirs do you use?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been meaning to try this one. it's not to Feminine is it?

not at all. it's fig like the entire plant, where you can smell leaves, branches (if that makes sense) and a little earth along with the fruit. not too fruity to come off as absurdly feminine. I love the scent, one of my favorites. I like the Diptyque candles a lot as well, and figuier is similar to philosykos if you've smelled it. Essence of John Galliano is by far my favorite candle of theirs (I feel like a no **** is necessary here). I'm very close to out of the room spray and candle of JG, need to restock.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which one? Went to Joan's for lunch on Sat and stoped by the Le Labo store, was 2 seconds away from getting a parking ticket so I just picked up yet anoeehr Santal candle. Which cologne/fragrances of theirs do you use?

Rose 31 is really good. Not much actual rose in it. This is their best seller for men.

Santal 33 is worth trying

Patchouli 24 is good if you like smokey scents

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Rose 31 was my go to from 08 up until about 6 months ago on the weekends. I don't like how they printed my name on the bottle and "compounded it" in front of me thought that was a bunch of bullshit though. Most of my colognes are fresher scents though since finding a heavier night time scent is far more difficult. I've got about 5 in rotation right now but I don't like listing them until they drop out. I think my favorite all time scent is one I've been using for about 10 years.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FIGS - a cheaper alternative to Philosykos is Marc Jacobs for men. You get what you pay for though, so MJ is alright, but Philosykos is really much better. Alternatives on par with Diptyque's quality include Heeley Figuir and Aqua Di Parma Fico di Amalfi. L'Artisan also has one, figuir and then figuir extreme, but I find they're more fem and don't last as long.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BAIES is my favorite Dyptique candle.

Rose 31 it is, I'll check it out this weekend.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BeyondtheRack has some Creed on sale to those interested. Good prices on the 2.5oz ($150) and 4oz ($175) bottles of Himalaya. They also have a 1oz bottle of GIT for $93 along with a few bottles of Royal Water, Virgin Island Water and Tabarome.

Never purchased from them before but it functions like Gilt, so here's an invite to those who wants to check it out: INVITE LINK

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads