• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Singapore Thread

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine a moron who needed to book a trip to burn vacation to not hit his vacation accrual cap.

Imagine if that moron did nearly no research on Singapore CM things worth checking out as he was too busy worrying about his layovers in Seoul and arranging fittings with B&Tailor.

I am that moron, solidly jetlagged after a 16 hour flight to Seoul yesterday, and a 6 hour flight to Singapore this evening morning?, resulting in a hotel check in close to 0200.

What say ye, @gshen @am55 @Noirkw @ZRH1 - anything I should check out?

I also need a bar to be at 11pm tomorrow to watch US-Netherlands

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should walk around at 2am in any neighbourhood and enjoy that luxury. Maybe try a weekend trip by ferry to Bintan (45min from Tanah Merah ferry terminal). Go eat some durian at a well rated stall - make sure they open it in front of you and maybe try hong xia (red prawn) rather than MSW, it's a bit more approachable, tastes like coffee. You can't get (Malaysian) durian in any other part of the world, not fresh anyway and it spoils fast. The rainforest is very approachable, on weekdays McRitchie is probably doable without crowds (basically go do the HSBC treetop bridge, from the Lornie mushroom cafe, and you'll hit the interesting sections), maybe try spot the Malayan coral snake in Bukit Timah catchment area trail. Cycling up the greenway (former train track to Malaysian, now cycle path with rainforest in the middle of skyscrapers) is also interesting. There's some saltwater crocs you can walk past in Sungei Buloh reserve, and a king cobra has also been sighted recently. Kaya toast at Heap Seng Leong near Lavender. Get a friend to let you in 67 Pall Mall for lunch, the expense account expat community, not much changed since the 1960s, is a tourist sight I guess (and food at the Tanglin is awful). Tanjong Beach Club or Trapizza for a sunset beer, go there by cable car not taxi (can always taxi back).

For your match call up Bamarang in River Valley and ask if they're showing the match (probably). Usually pretty lively and yank friendly.

Oh did you say CM things. I guess you can ponder why the men a city with 11% millionaire residents mostly wear uniqlo shorts and T shirts with a cheap G shock. But your first half hour in the heat should explain nicely. If you visit Vanda go have a swim at nearby(ish) Tampines swimming complex (top floor of the mall, 6 pools, probably a US dollar to get in) for a sample of the Singaporean heartlands life, but make sure it's during office hours unless you like crowds.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a fun and uniquely local thing... the Thompson line just opened (well, the section that goes through the city) which means nobody is taking it yet. So you can see the latest gen pristine metro system, probably the nicest in the world, and also it takes you to the Marina Barrage. Stop by decathlon first to buy a kite, and go fly it on top of the barrage. There's a long tradition of kite flying including mid-20th-C gangs putting glass shards on the strings and trying to cut other gangs' strings in flight. Of course today it's families and hobbyists. I'm also curious about the ghost station on the way to the terminus - I think it's planned for when they develop the area from reclaimed grassland into skyscrapers, for now it is lit but empty as you pass it slowly.

You can get a long hike with good views of the city by crossing the barrage and walking over to Stadium but that takes quite a while with little shade, better at night. From barrage to east coast park is also nicer than just about any route from the city if you're cycling. Wouldn't go towards the cruise terminal at night as I've had to turn around a few times cos of a pack of stray dogs that is quite aggressive outside hours. There's something special though about an area so deserted and overgrown right next to the highest footfall area of a country made entirely of 40+ storey buildings.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Classic menswear things off the top of my head - Dylan & Son, Mason & Smith, Last & Lapel, Seamless Bespoke, Colony Clothing, The Decorum Singapore (apologies to anyone I missed) are all fairly close by in the Chinatown/conservative business dress area and worth a visit. Some are by appointment only - check before visiting.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Don't know about CM but ran into this tonight...
IMG_20221208_211220.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in S'pore, heading out in < 1 day.

On the CM front:
Made it to Colony Clothing today - super interesting buys, right up the dearly departed @dieworkwear 's alley - Beams+ to United Arrows to Bigi ties to a bunch of unstructured hopsack sport coats in jewel tones to Native American jewelry. Lots of "easy" pants on offer, but none currently in my size, so no dusty pink shorts or cream irregular seersucker for me. Bought a Bigi tie as they are hard to get away from in person. It is really a joy to see a place with such an interesting point of view. They host some trunk shows for some Japanese bespoke makers, and also stock Cleverly RTW shoes. They also have an Alden shop in town elsewhere, I think, but Alden makes my head hurt as I am not sure we are supposed to discuss them when their stockists cannot ship internationally, etc.

Decorum is well worth checking out as well - made me a bit upset honestly that I didn't check out their O.G. spot in Bangkok when I was there a week-ish ago. Stocks C&J (seemingly including as large as UK 11, which is unusual per my experience in East Asia, FWIW, as I need a 10 as a rule and 9.5 is often the ceiling) as well as Edward Green. Stocks Kamakura, Drake's, Shibumi and some Liverano stuff. Hosts trunk shows for Liverano and Assisi. Bought a Shibumi tie in a funky, somewhat retro pattern.

Both of the above had great folks covering the floor - Charles at Decorum, and a lady at Colony whose name I forgot to ask. Just delightful folks.

Food:
Been trying to geek out on Peranakan ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peranakans ) food since getting back from Thailand.
Last night - True Blue ->

Tonight:

Both were very nice. If you can get a spot at National Kitchen, you might be able to follow it up, or start early on the roof at Smoke + Mirrors, which has great views of the skyline, and a serious cocktail program. I may or may have not closed it tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads