• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SF Brazillian Jiujitsu Thread - fans, competitors, filthy casuals, all are welcome

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with it all. I wanted him to
Shoot so I could take his head off with guillotine / dragon sleeper. He shot so low and yeah i can finish a triangle from just about anywhere. It was done as soon as I locked it up. He had a whole world of heel hooks and leg transitions waiting for him he woulsnt of gotten far. Most black belts cant hang with my level of leg attacks so 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️. Super cool kid. I’m gunna work with him in grappling to get ready for MMA. :)

That's cool. I need to work on my leg attacks. I play a pretty tradiional game. If you think Leandro Lo + Meragali + Lucas Lepri + Bernardo Faria, mix that all up, and then decrease the ability level by 10, that's probably most of my game. I've not seen your gi matches, but I imagine that they look a look different than mine.

Nah, with someone like you, it's bodylock takedowns, single legs with deep underhooks, etc... and then just heavy chest-to-chest pressure and head control the entire time. Small, mobile guys like you seem to be, the correct approach is usually to keep tight, and keep your upper body stretched so that you can't really move effectively, and you can't curl your core and hips from curling.

It's cool that he wants you to coach him. So guys get their pride hurt. I have the benefit of being naturally sorta crap at doing things, so I learn from everyone.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wiltse's buzzsaw passing is awesome. I love watching videos of him training. he also makes no false claims, noting the importance of drilling drilling drilling

Did you Gordon Ryan vs Couch? that was crazy. I have mad respect for Couch, and Ryan made it look effortless. tapped him from pressure. unreal how Ryan makes other world class competitors look like white belts (again, no knock on Couch. Im a huge fan of the Hillbilly Hammer). more a testament to Ryan. I knew he had like some 30+ lbs on him, but still.. amazing.

I was reviewing a lot of tape on modern no gi passing,from Andrew Wiltse, and it just occurred to me that yeah, I would need at least six months to relearn no gi. The difference when there are gi grips and when there are not, just make the game vastly different. So,.for example, a lot of his no gi passing starts by his baiting the delarivaand ankle grab. With the gi though, if I am on bottom, the first thing I try for is a sleeve grip or cross collar grip, feet on the hips to create puish pull, and arm or collar drag my way into DLR or DLX, or if they are really off balance, into a helicopter sweep. But without gi grips, handfighting is different, and you can't really collar tie a standing opponent when you are on your butt. I'm not even sure what concept I would use.

And the "unstoppable sweep" that I use a lot (it's not actually), but whatever) relies very much on your ability to get to a sleeve and collar grip. Yeah, maybe when I start retraining more regularly, I'll do a bit more no gi, actually commit to learning body lock and underhook no gi passes, and figure out wtf you do from the bottom without grips, etc...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiltse's buzzsaw passing is awesome. I love watching videos of him training. he also makes no false claims, noting the importance of drilling drilling drilling

Did you Gordon Ryan vs Couch? that was crazy. I have mad respect for Couch, and Ryan made it look effortless. tapped him from pressure. unreal how Ryan makes other world class competitors look like white belts (again, no knock on Couch. Im a huge fan of the Hillbilly Hammer). more a testament to Ryan. I knew he had like some 30+ lbs on him, but still.. amazing.
Yeah, that was super impressive. He looked like he was doing an easy training round, working on some stuff with a much smaller white or blue belt, not a notoriously strong world class competitor.

His persona is super cringe, and I really do wish that Andre Galvao had not felt the need to open his mouth and promise more than can be reaslistically expected. Because now he is stuck between not holding up is end of the deal, or just getting crushed.

I wonder what happened between GOrdon and Danaher and the B Team.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post up matches for review!

My own, or the matches we are talking about? I haven't competed in over 3 years (so, pre brown belt) and then not at an IBJJF competition, so there is not much. At least, I did not see an official video person there. and no one ever tapes our training sessions

Or am I being way too egotistical, and you're talking about the Gordon Ryan vs Jacob Couch match. That was on Flo, and either of those guys would crush me in under a minute. Pretty sure that Gordon could out grapple me with just his upper body frames.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1648695116397.png
\
Wait, I did find that one pic in my backyard having some champagne with my coach after being belted.; We are legitimatley terrible at taking videos and pictures, which is why I have a belt on over jean - we'd showered and changed probably an hour earlier. I blurred over my face because I have serious Asian tan from the champagne. He is about 5-10 lbs heavier (190-195 lbs) and 6'2", while I'm 185 and 5'11". You can tell the difference in our body types and size. I;m done scanning social media for tagged matches with me in them for now, but I'll try. I never take video myself, and none of my friends do either.... but I'm sure that there is some footage around somewhere. Sorry to disappoin for now, but hey, I grindered my way into brown belt! I don't always win, but nearly everyone I've competed against or comp rolled with feels like they've been in a fight, in a good way.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

heres my last loss I had. Fire away about how bad I am. 🪤

Bummer, but it happens. It’s hard to get out of those leg entanglements, and the dude went from over leg to another. I’ve had mixed reviews with rolling out of them tbh. I guess that the only thing you could have tried would have been to kickstand his choad to free your leg when he started that called as slicer and was under your knee and then also… run outta there. It looked like you were nearly out a few times, but he went from leg to leg. As you can probably tell, I’m much less familiar with no gi than I am with gi. That said, I’m not sure why you gave up full side control with head control to go to the intermediate body lock position. It didn’t look like he was getting outta there, at least on video. We’re different players, but I fight hard for that position. You live, you learn, I guess.

Do you a record everything? Our team is genuinely terrible at that. We even have a bunch of pro MMA fights that have no coverage from us, only from the fight organizers. It’s not even on purpose, we just sorta suck at pictures and actually taking video. I’ll look and see if Excitefights has anything in its archives.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I never really slag anyone else’s bjj, unless they are pros. I mean, we’re all doing it for fun, and an L always sorta sucks. Anyone who cares already has dissected what they did wrong, and their coaches as well, if they are worth anything.
Just for context - I did pretty well in my 20s as bith ammy and pro MMA fighter, as a blue belt (early 2000s, so BJJ was neither as popular nor as developed at that point;, nor was MMA. I went 3-0 for ammy, then 3-1, losing by KO in my last fight. I've written about this a fair bit, but not sure if @razorfrazer ever read it. Since I was okay, but not great, and I was finishing my doctorate, I decided that I just needed my brain more than I needed a few hundred bucks at a time.

I cam back to BJJ in my early to mid 30s, and then quit again after a year of real training, and then maybe a year of on and off, since the politics at the only local club got pretty toxic,.The leaders had real beef, and it showed. Plus, I got MRSA.

My present coah opened his gym in 2016, and I joined mostly because my kids starting taking judo, and the dude seemed like a nice go. We are really good friends now. Now, at 47, I know that I am never going to be awesome. I have numerous injuries, including a compression fracture and a fixed retina, so it's not like I'm going to be cartwheelingover dudes, or lifting to get huge, or anything like that. When I compete, I am solidly in the top third, and that's fine. My tournaments are often like
win-win-lose. Or win-lose, depending onj the size and depth of the division. I'm also not in masters, since there are just not enough older advanced belts, so I use my stability and grips and technical understanding of positions to dictate the pace and usuallly do okay. When I podium, it's typicaly like, 3rd. I won a tournament once, way back in the day.

So, for me, it's a hobby. And I know that it's a hobby for others as well. Unless someone is coming with a lot of disrespect, I'm never going to trash them, and even then, I just generally let it go. Life is tough enough without a whole lot of unnecessary drama.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummer, but it happens. It’s hard to get out of those leg entanglements, and the dude went from over leg to another. I’ve had mixed reviews with rolling out of them tbh. I guess that the only thing you could have tried would have been to kickstand his choad to free your leg when he started that called as slicer and was under your knee and then also… run outta there. It looked like you were nearly out a few times, but he went from leg to leg. As you can probably tell, I’m much less familiar with no gi than I am with gi. That said, I’m not sure why you gave up full side control with head control to go to the intermediate body lock position. It didn’t look like he was getting outta there, at least on video. We’re different players, but I fight hard for that position. You live, you learn, I guess.

Do you a record everything? Our team is genuinely terrible at that. We even have a bunch of pro MMA fights that have no coverage from us, only from the fight organizers. It’s not even on purpose, we just sorta suck at pictures and actually taking video. I’ll look and see if Excitefights has anything in its archives.
Live and learn! It was still a good match for me to fight such a good leg locker. I was a bit overconfidant in my defending leg locks and he had me defensice the whole time. I will approach the next time we fight a whole lot different to get the W. Backing out of side control was a huge mistake. It was sort of on the opposite aide i body lock so it felt weird and i was so confident i would just pass to my left again anyway. Lesson learned the hard way. Ha ha.

yeah I mean ive had a few hundred matches at this point probably have half recorded or available somewhere online.
Nothing wrong with that man i grealy respect your experience in the art and the age makes a big difference. At 36 im still winning most of the tournaments or matches I do (after years of not doing great). Just took me a bit longer to catch a competitive stride.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live and learn! It was still a good match for me to fight such a good leg locker. I was a bit overconfidant in my defending leg locks and he had me defensice the whole time. I will approach the next time we fight a whole lot different to get the W. Backing out of side control was a huge mistake. It was sort of on the opposite aide i body lock so it felt weird and i was so confident i would just pass to my left again anyway. Lesson learned the hard way. Ha ha.

yeah I mean ive had a few hundred matches at this point probably have half recorded or available somewhere online.
Nothing wrong with that man i grealy respect your experience in the art and the age makes a big difference. At 36 im still winning most of the tournaments or matches I do (after years of not doing great). Just took me a bit longer to catch a competitive stride.

Thanks, and congratulations on the winning streak. 35 is technically masters, but you probably have a few good years ahead, and then could do well in smaller tournaments in masters after that, if you are in a bigger market. Also, and let's be real, a bigger market also means that while the top competitors are better, there are also plenty of people, especially at white to purple, who are.... not really at old school purple belt levels. I'm not going to name any one brand, but if your promotions are by classes attended, I think that your school is going down a dangerous road. Truth is that some dudes, like a Nicky Rod, can wreck dudes with just 6 months of training, and other guys, it will take the 6 years to reach blue belt. No knock on them, as long as they are happy where they are, and also putting in the time that feels meaningful to them, thojugh I will admit that if I had not been young and athletic and powerful when I first started, if it had taken more 6 years instead of like 2 to make blue belt, I would probably have been pretty disheartened. Black belt masters is a different story, You'd be going up against guys who used to be world champions, and who just to keep a little bit in the game. Like, if you run up against Marcelo Garcia giving it a go at masters, I'm not going to bet on you.

I thinkj that throughout my entire career, I've probably had not quite 100 matches. I have never taped any of them, but it's possible that some are taped.

Yeah, I've learned that there is a world of difference between 47 and 35. At 35, I was doing 100-150 pullups a day, plus lifting, plus cardio, 6 days a week. I would probably die if I did that for a week, and because of my injuries, certain things are just out for me. Like, no Olympic style lifting. So training is... smarter. A lot more situational stuff. A whole lot fewer takedowns, especially with the busted back. I don't need to be thrown on my head again, thanks. I mean, I admire the Daisy Fresh guys, but just... no.

I think that if you listen to Andrew Wiltse's rant: `` most of which I agree with, I'd say that I was true competitor in my 20s, and then have been a hobbyist or casual competitor ever since, but with a LOT more strength and conditioning than most guys my age, (typical for old MMA fighters who have not completely fallen off the wagon) which has allowed me to at least defend well against similar sized UFC fighters. I would characterize myself as...I can still hang.

I had an opportunity to train with one of Mikey Musumeci's old teammates (not the Daisy Fresh guys), and while he does a ton of comp training, he also does a lot of situational, trouble shooting stuff, which is great. You learn a ton, without completely wrecking your body.

In terms of that specific match, I prefer the leftl side side control as well, but a better thing to do would probably have been to transition to that side via mount which has it's own dangers,, or swtching head control to the other side like Marcelo Garcia, and then going to the left via North South. With a good leglocker, and especially a smaller who is proably not going to be able to shake my chest on chest top pressure, there is no way that I'm personally going to let him get enough space to get to my legs. In fact, one of my things i to take mount, and then grapevine their legs, so that we are constantly pummeling and repummeling legs while I am setting up some type of choke. No leg lock battle for me, thanks. Same with passing in the gi. I'm goling to try to grab the cross leg and then the arm, and pass that way, No legs for me!

Look forward to seeing more W's from you, maybe on a big stage.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@razorfrazer - have you ever sent in your videos to be critiqued by Andrew Wiltse? I think that his breakdown videos of like "normal blue/purple/brown belts", so basically, by his criteria, everyone not winning gold or silver at worlds and Pans, to be pretty interesting. Sometimes, I am like "Haha, that was dumb." but nearly just as often, I am like "Huh, I do that sometimes. Well, dammit" especially at the purple and brown belt level". I feel like especailly no gi, since I don't really train it, he would say "Oh, now some bullshit went on."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads