• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quietman

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Guess who's going to see Chelsea's own, John Ruiz, fight James "Lights Out" Toney for the WBA heavywieght championship of the world this weekend? So excited - any predictions?

mistahlee

Reaction score
I would have picked Ruiz.  Now he'll probably be remembered as the guy who was beaten by two middleweights.  

Did you have a great time?  From what I read the super featherweight title fight was very exciting.

What did you wear?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I had a blast. My company does a lot of business with Ticketmaster - so we were comped floor seats. Got to shake hands with Roy Jones, Jr., Lennox Lewis and Arthur Mercante, Jr. (the last of which prompted the guy behind me to say "I don't know whether to be impressed that you met him or impressed that you knew who he was").

I wore a 7-button, single breasted, downward pointing peak lapel suit with an extra long coat, matching brown bowler with a tan band, and brown and tan gator spectators.

I'll break down the notable fights as I saw them.

DaVarryl Williamson d. Derrick Jefferson - I had seen Jefferson fight before, and he looked real focused coming out. But Williamson showed why they call him "Touch of Sleep", hurting Jefferson badly in the first round, and then winning a TKO in the 2nd - a fight that was stopped two big right hands after it should have.

Elio Rojas d. Anthony Martinez - this kid Rojas is exciting. He's lightening fast, and hits hard. He dominated the fight from beginning to end, but I'm not sure it was a great fight for him. First of all, he won by decision when the other guy should have been lying flat (he must have a chin like a cinder block). Secondly, I don't think it made him a better fighter really - Martinez was basically an expensive, moving heavy bag. Either way, keep an eye out for Rojas.

Luis Perez d. Luis Bolano - decent fight, but the knockout blow (body shot) looked a little suspect to me. Who knows, maybe he got his rib broke, but it looked partially blocked and not that hard.

Vicente Mosquera d. Yodsanan Nanthachai - the fight of the night, without question. It just went back and forth, some great boxing and big blows. They both went down in the 3rd - the best round of the evening. Both of these guys were tough - but Mosquera finished strong, knocking down the Thai 3 times, and a couple times late. I'd be excited to see a rematch.

James Toney d. John Ruiz - a tough loss for Ruiz, a great win for a great champion in Toney. I think they both fought pretty smart fights. Ruiz just kept Toney to the outside with some very strong jabs. A couple looked like they really hurt Toney. But Toney was smart too, anticipated the jabs and countered with devastating right hands. He scored 3 or 4 of those, and I think that won him the fight. I had the fight much closer than two of the judges, but there's no doubt that James Toney won.

All in all, a great night at the fights. I'm psyched to do it again.

mistahlee

Reaction score
I wore a 7-button, single breasted, downward pointing peak lapel suit with an extra long coat, matching brown bowler with a tan band, and brown and tan gator spectators.
Oh yeah.

Excellent detailed analysis, thanks. Feel like I was there.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
petermetro,
i didn't see your post or i would have responded earlier.

i didn't know ruiz and toney were still around, much less fighting for the world championship.

there really are no good heavyweights.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I predict I'd be sleep by mid third round.

mistahlee

Reaction score
By the way, gentlemen, I shall be in attendance when Winky Wright takes on Felix Trinidad at the Grand Garden Arena Saturday after next. Â
tounge.gif
 Any thoughts on that one? Also, if you are going to be there, I plan to have a cabana by the pool at MGM on the day of the fight.  Send me a private message and I'll give you the details.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
So? How was it? I didn't get a chance to watch, but it sounds like your home town kid just out-pointed him all night. Some of the scorecards said he won every round. Sounds like domination to me.

Can't wait for Hopkins-Wright.

mistahlee

Reaction score
It wasn't even close.  Winky snapped the jab in Tito's face at will for 12 rounds.  For his part, Trinidad simply could not solve the Wrightian defense.  Frustrated, he threw low blows until, at long last, Nady deducted a point.  I gave Tito the 2nd round and, then, the 11th out of pity.  That was better than he got from any of the official judges at ringside.

A bad night for San Juan - a great one for St. Pete.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wasn't even close.  Winky snapped the jab in Tito's face at will for 12 rounds.  For his part, Trinidad simply could not solve the Wrightian defense.  Frustrated, he threw low blows until, at long last, Nady deducted a point.  I gave Tito the 2nd round and, then, the 11th out of pity.  That was better than he got from any of the official judges at ringside.

A bad night for San Juan - a great one for St. Pete.
Faces were long in San Juan Saturday night indeed. but in many ways, it was poetic justice. IMO, Trinidad never beat De La Hoya back in that fabled 1999 fight. I still can't believe Trinidad was awarded that decision.

BTW: Was Trinidad's strategy screwed up agaisnt Wright or what ? He fought like he was biding his time, just waiting to land a haymaker that would end the fight. Problem is, he got more than he could handle in Wright. Tito, incindentally, looked finished. He should have stayed retired.

mistahlee

Reaction score
IMO, Trinidad never beat De La Hoya back in that fabled 1999 fight. I still can't believe Trinidad was awarded that decision.
You're right. Â By the same token, IMHO, De La Hoya never beat Ike Quartay. Â And so it goes. PeterMetro, your new avatar frightened me. Â
omg.gif

PeterMetro

Reaction score
PeterMetro, your new avatar frightened me. Â
omg.gif
You know, it's been about four years since I graduated from the Handsome Boy Modeling School. And I just want to say that their 60 dollar course changed my life. Since my graduation I've traveled to Prague, Milan, Paris, and Buffalo, New York. And I now drive a fifty thousand dollar LaForce Automobile with total suede package, with subwoofers, and specially designed custom glass rims. Also, in my closet, shoes. So many shoes you cannot believe. And next to it a drawer with the socks, full of the socks, more than enough for each pair of shoes. Yes that's a many. And the Women. Let me tell you, the women, my God. I can't go into the details... let's just say, I know all about the secret garden. So let me just say "thank you" from nearby the bottom of my heart to Nate and Chest for showing me that beauty is truly in the Eye of the Tiger.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mistahlee @ May 17 2005,19:52) PeterMetro, your new avatar frightened me. Â
omg.gif

You know, it's been about four years since I graduated from the Handsome Boy Modeling School. Â And I just want to say that their 60 dollar course changed my life. Â Since my graduation I've traveled to Prague, Milan, Paris, and Buffalo, New York. Â And I now drive a fifty thousand dollar LaForce Automobile with total suede package, with subwoofers, and specially designed custom glass rims. Also, in my closet, shoes. So many shoes you cannot believe. Â And next to it a drawer with the socks, full of the socks, more than enough for each pair of shoes. Yes that's a many. And the Women. Let me tell you, the women, my God. Â I can't go into the details... let's just say, I know all about the secret garden. So let me just say "thank you" from nearby the bottom of my heart to Nate and Chest for showing me that beauty is truly in the Eye of the Tiger.
Father Guido was/is, in real life, I believe, married to a Puerto Rican. He certainly knows fine women.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads