• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Parenting Thread aka We're all MotherFuc*ers Here

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about this for awhile, so here goes. The thread for us to talk about the issues of parenting, vent, give advice, etc.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting us off, let's talk youth sports and sh*theel coaches. I'm coaching an U10 team in our local rec league. My kid plays, they need coaches, and it is fun to get out and be an upstanding member of society.

There is another coach. His kid is one of those that went through puberty early and is simply bigger, faster, and stronger than most of the rest of the kids. Every game is the same, he runs up the score with his kid scoring 5-10 goals.

Now, we have rules about not running up the score. It is a small town, this is a rec league, and teams can be pretty unbalanced. But he does it anyway. Did it last year, did it this morning again. His kid is also a bully and his teams always play a super aggressive borderline rule breaking game.

After he went up 5-1 and continued to push with the same kid, I said "hey coach, how abut some not running up the score, we're trying to teach these kids sportsmanship." He blew me off with "I guess I'll hear from the board again." The kids are all hungdog, on the edge of tears, and of course the wole rest of his team is basically just watching.

Later, a board member was talking to him and he kind of got heated. Meanwhile, I have a hot temper and I HATE bullies.

So we keep going until it is like 8-1 and finally he puts his kid on defense. At that point it becomes a good game again. Competitive, more flow, other kids are getting shots off. So I go over to him and say "look I get it, your kid is a beast, get him his goals, but now all the kids are playing, the game is even, etc" He keeps blowing me off "I know what I'm doing, we practice hard, we play hard, I'm not going to talk about this blah, blah, blah." I made a mistake and said "this is bullshit" but his kid is literally twice the size of this little girl and he is going in, knocking her over, elbows out. And acting all proud of himself. I was heated.

The thing that really makes me pissed, is he thinks he is some stud coach, but outside of his kid's goals, the game was 1-1.

Game is over and I get a talking to by the board for swearing. But I can't stand this ****. Every coach knows he is an asshole, every parent is like "oh, that guy" and I know his kid just gets it from his dad. Divorced, works part time as a personal trainer and details cars. Lives through his dipshit kid.

I wanted to tell him I'll bring my truck in for him to clean, but I think the shade would go over his head.

Anyway, I need to control my temper. On the ride home I told my kid living well is the best revenge and nobody wants to be the guy that peaks in the 4th grade.

/Rant.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's wrong with being divorced and living through your dipshit kid? :hide:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the bright side, this dude is still teaching all the kids in the league about sportsmanship. A negative example is still an example.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the bright side, this dude is still teaching all the kids in the league about sportsmanship. A negative example is still an example.
I know. I told my kids "sometimes you lose and that's OK. I'm just glad you kept playing hard." Pretty saccharine stuff, but what are you gonna do?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter is in a kinda competitive soccer league. She hasn't played much previously, so she's one of the least skilled players on the team. The first question I always ask after games is, "did you have fun?" It's not much, but I don't know how to deal with all that high intensity ****.

On a positive note, she has homework that consists mostly of watching professional games and answering strategic and technical questions about them. We end up watching together and it's functioned as something of a bonding experience.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My daughter is in a kinda competitive soccer league. She hasn't played much previously, so she's one of the least skilled players on the team. The first question I always ask after games is, "did you have fun?" It's not much, but I don't know how to deal with all that high intensity ****.

On a positive note, she has homework that consists mostly of watching professional games and answering strategic and technical questions about them. We end up watching together and it's functioned as something of a bonding experience.
Watching professional games is super helpful. Just to see the concept in action and have some moves to try to copy.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She really enjoys pausing the game and explaining to me why what just happened was a really good pass/defensive play/etc. I've been really honest about how I don't know **** about the game and I think she likes being better at something than I am. I like the fact that explaining things to me helps her organize her thoughts and communicate concepts more clearly. Sneaky pedagogy is fun.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Teach them the story of Tonya Harding.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My son asked me the other day if he was going to die before me. I told him it's very unlikely. He then asked me if I was going to die before him. I said, "Probably. And if I do, bury me in the ground and plant a peach tree over me - that way, the tree will pull me up into it and I will turn into its fruit, where you, birds, animals, and other people will have parts of me in them and I will be spread out to all of you."

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Now I'm never going to be able to eat peaches again.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dipping into chess with the boy ( he's 7 ) . so far i've ko'd him twice lol he's beaten me once by time . he seems to be learning fast tho and i'm not a big chess guy so we'll see ....
When he starts beating you regularly is when you tell him chess is stupid game and you stop playing.

Radboots

Reaction score
dipping into chess with the boy ( he's 7 ) . so far i've ko'd him twice lol he's beaten me once by time . he seems to be learning fast tho and i'm not a big chess guy so we'll see ....

Have been thinking about chess club here too for our 5yo! Hates losing though so we'll see...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads