• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Parenting Thread aka We're all MotherFuc*ers Here

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter is in a kinda competitive soccer league. She hasn't played much previously, so she's one of the least skilled players on the team. The first question I always ask after games is, "did you have fun?" It's not much, but I don't know how to deal with all that high intensity ****.

On a positive note, she has homework that consists mostly of watching professional games and answering strategic and technical questions about them. We end up watching together and it's functioned as something of a bonding experience.

how old, what position? If younger can’t stress enough the value of just “ball and a wall” to work on passing, receiving, and first touch. I picked up soccer recreationally in my 40s and that was super important, though I have no illusions that anyone would call me a strong player.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried cutting my infant's nails today, ended up cutting a tiny piece of skin on his thumb.. took forever to stop bleeding. Ugh.

been there , a common goof but it does suck

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meanwhile can i say i'm super pleased that my kiddo put together a proper clave on the drum kit today , he's been running at it like the warped wall for a week or so and he finally put it all together with the rim shot , 16th ride , and a boom chick on the floor . nice stuff !

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nurse helpline said that a 101-102 degree fever is a ‘helpful fever’ and that baby doesn’t need Tylenol until it goes above 102. So I asked at what temp do we need to start worrying/go to ER, etc. Doctor was like ‘yeah I mean even up to 104/105 isn’t bad as long as no other symptoms, they can even get little seizures, but don’t worry there’s no lasting damage’

Thanks bro, definitely making me feel better!

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nurse helpline said that a 101-102 degree fever is a ‘helpful fever’ and that baby doesn’t need Tylenol until it goes above 102. So I asked at what temp do we need to start worrying/go to ER, etc. Doctor was like ‘yeah I mean even up to 104/105 isn’t bad as long as no other symptoms, they can even get little seizures, but don’t worry there’s no lasting damage’

Thanks bro, definitely making me feel better!
Thought fever was over this morning, back up to 102.7 this afternoon. Running tests now.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Planning on flying for the first time with infant in a few months. Going to be interesting.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's such a crapshoot; some kids can't handle it and you get the nightmare flight. Others are fine. You just never know until you fly. My kids were great as infants and we did nothing to make them that way. My son usually fell asleep before boarding was done and rarely woke up until after landing. Literally every flight, someone would comment, "oh, I didn't even realize you had a baby."

Hope you get lucky, my StyFo bro.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd grade ended a week and a half ago , we've been researching / interviewing new schools since ... ack

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's such a crapshoot; some kids can't handle it and you get the nightmare flight. Others are fine. You just never know until you fly. My kids were great as infants and we did nothing to make them that way. My son usually fell asleep before boarding was done and rarely woke up until after landing. Literally every flight, someone would comment, "oh, I didn't even realize you had a baby."

Hope you get lucky, my StyFo bro.
Yeah, we’re trying to ‘break him in’ on shorter flights before we do cross country/international stuff

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i showed my kiddo this vid

and then i showed him my master's degree with arnold's signature lol

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
school year coming up ...

kiddo had a mixed experience over the past couple years .

he's a self-starter but doesn't really do group learning without a focus ( i'm going to edit this : he does do group learning - his extracurriculars feature very rigorous group learning , it has been a bit up and down but he has responded to strong leadership ) , we had the chance to send him to a very local public language immersion school and we jumped on it figuring it would slow him down a bit ...

it did not slow him down , now he's a self-starter who can speak spanish . but that doesn't solve the problem of how to get him to engage in classroom learning , he has been frankly a distraction for other kiddos .

so we've visited a couple alternate schools over the summer ... one was non denominational private school the other was a place-based charter school . the private school is a non starter for a variety of reasons , the charter school seems amazing but it's hard to tell if it's a real solution or not until kiddo gets in there .

so it's either : move him to a diff school that may or may not work or keep trying to work with the admin / teachers at his current school so they can accommodate his personality . i'm really skeptical tbh about the current school , they've had a couple years to work this out and don't really seem to grasp who this kiddo is ...

otoh i'm not buying the song the admin is singing at the prospective charter schoool , at least until i see him thriving as a constructive participant in classroom life which is my entire focus at this point . what to do ?

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dude, infants get sick an average of 8-12 times a year? what in the world...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve spend this winter more sick than healthy, because the kid went to daycare.

It’s like they have a weekly trading session: “have you already brought back flu variant B to your home? No? Ok, than you get this. You’ve done A, B and D already, so you take C, that should keep ‘‘em busy. Anybody without a runny nose? Oh buddy, we cant have that, and make sure to wipe it in your parents faces”.

I have spend this Monday at the emergency room though. Little nootje is starting to walk, and decided to fall teeth first into an open cabinet door. Traumatized daycare staff, and a kid who’s had to have a tooth pulled at 17 months. He’s only had it for about 4-5 or so. But he took it well, because it must have hurt like hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads