• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont even know who the monsters are. Giacomo conterno? Sassaicaia? Quintarelli? Est est est?

Why do you like Italian wines so much?

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I like them because they taste good. Earth shattering, I know, but give it a try sometime. Start with maybe a Gavi or a Roero, or even fork over $40-50 for a Barbaresco or Barolo.

for clarity:
Conterno is a producer.
Sassicaia is the name of a wine produced by Tenuta San Guido.
Est est est is the name of a DOC region.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like them because they taste good. Earth shattering, I know, but give it a try sometime. Start with maybe a Gavi or a Roero, or even fork over $40-50 for a Barbaresco or Barolo.

for clarity:
Conterno is a producer.
Sassicaia is the name of a wine produced by Tenuta San Guido.
Est est est is the name of a DOC region.

:blush: clearly i am very ignorant. For some reason I thought est est est was a wine

I've never had a barolo. I think that will be next purchase

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

:blush: clearly i am very ignorant. For some reason I thought est est est was a wine
I've never had a barolo. I think that will be next purchase

IMO a key to learning about Italian wine is to understand it by DOCG or DOC. Less emphasis on the grapes for a number of sub-regions, though a bunch of important Tuscans or Piedmont wines will be made up of a fairly few varietals (barolo and barbaresco are Nebbiolo, Brunello is Sangeovese), and more emphasis on the typicity or terroire of the DOCG.

Chateaneuf du Pape is a good comparison - something like 13 or 15 varietals are allowed in the production, though most people could only name a few (... grenache, mouvedre, syrah, Roussanne, something like that...) but the key to enjoying the region is not emphasizing the exact blend employed by producer X vs Y, it's more about understanding what is typical of a wine labeled Chateaneuf du Pape. A lot of my understanding of Italian wines is taken by a similar apporach.

FWIW, a few years ago Manton and I were at a tasting and a $65 bottle of Corino Barolo blew us away. For the quality, $65 was a complete joke. He has some in his cellar now.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also, there's a book by Joe Bastianich on Italian wine, I believe it is entitled Italian Wine. Very good book with a nice mix of detail vs. the basics.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just my personal experience but I think if a person cuts their teeth on Left Coast wine you take on this single varietal mentality. Getting into Rhones really helped me shake that and I'm glad it happened.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

IMO a key to learning about Italian wine is to understand it by DOCG or DOC. Less emphasis on the grapes for a number of sub-regions, though a bunch of important Tuscans or Piedmont wines will be made up of a fairly few varietals (barolo and barbaresco are Nebbiolo, Brunello is Sangeovese), and more emphasis on the typicity or terroire of the DOCG.
Chateaneuf du Pape is a good comparison - something like 13 or 15 varietals are allowed in the production, though most people could only name a few (... grenache, mouvedre, syrah, Roussanne, something like that...) but the key to enjoying the region is not emphasizing the exact blend employed by producer X vs Y, it's more about understanding what is typical of a wine labeled Chateaneuf du Pape. A lot of my understanding of Italian wines is taken by a similar apporach.
FWIW, a few years ago Manton and I were at a tasting and a $65 bottle of Corino Barolo blew us away. For the quality, $65 was a complete joke. He has some in his cellar now.

I think this is really key to understanding and enjoying the wines of any country.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Corino barolo. I'll be on the look out and thanks for the book rec. it's always nice to have a guide for unfamiliar territory

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I think this is really key to understanding and enjoying the wines of any country.

it is, but even US vs. France has many similarities - straight Pinot, straight Sauv Blanc, Cabernet-based blends, Syrah and Syrah blends, straight Chard. Rare in both countries are the blends with 5+ obscure varietals, and a product like this just wouldn't sell from a US producer. But blends like this are far more common in Italy, and even one of the most well known Italian wines is a blend (Chianti - though, to be fair, most Chianti is predominantely sangeiovese).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads