1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had this with the dinner I just posted. Great pairing. Lots of citrus and something I lack a descriptor for. Let's say something briney or like sea shells. Good acid and so different than 99% of Left Coast Chards.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

La Scolca Gavi dei Gavi Etichetta Nera 2013

[​IMG]

Definitely less timid than the Etichetta Bianco. Very delicate with some nice prominent acidity. Delicious.

-----

Firriato Santagostino Baglio Soria Bianco 2013

[​IMG]

Sicily. Quite bold, rich. Not sure, but I think it has those petrol notes that Riesling can get. Also lots of "minerality" (or at least it has the flavor I'm associating with the construct of minerality). Pretty nice.

-----

Villa Antinori Chianti Classico 2011

[​IMG]

Basically the price range of the Marchesi Antinori Chianti Classico. The Villa Antinori CC is, similar to their regular "Villa Antinori" expression, quite bold. The Marchesi Antinori CC is way more delicate with more prominent acidity and less oakiness. Both are good.

------

Banfi Summus 2007

[​IMG]

Also bold, concentrated and quite oaky. Good.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had a few wines last night. Started with this. Lots of crisp acid, crisp green apples, a little nutty on the long finish. Good but not what I prefer in a Champs.

[​IMG]

Moved on to this. Again, good acid, maybe a kiss of oak, a definite hint of bananas. Really nice.

[​IMG]

I didn't want to open this but our host insisted. Just way too young.

[​IMG]

Then finished with a duo of SQN. Grenache (on the left) was glorious. Some definite whole cluster going which I can only describe as adding an electrifying aspect. Syrah could have used more bottle age.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Domaine La Roquète CdP 2008

[​IMG]

Very concentrated fruit (wild berries and such!). Quite a bit of tannins, but nice acidic backbone. Long aftertaste. Really delicious. Thanks, tattersall.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

6. Stone

Stone Senior member

Tried a few different wines at a restaurant called Vinarium, in Naples.

There was a ribolla gialla with a nice sweaty sock odor that seemed to perfectly match grilled bread and lardo collonata, a Gatorade salty Greco de tufo that matched an ocean-tasting seafood and marinara (very al dente) pasta, and a mediocre, fruity Barbaresco with a steak in a rich, acidic aglianico and Gorgonzola sauce.

Finished with a grappa in barrique that tasted like alcoholic earl grey.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

[coolpapa]

And?

[/coolpapa]

1 person likes this.
  8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

What a beautifully photographed bottle, I can almost imagine how the wine tasted.

1 person likes this.
  9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

too much $$$ to be in the delicious wine category.

1 person likes this.
  10. b1os

b1os Senior member

I prefer good wine that's delicious over good wine that's not delicious.

(Also, I've paid like 13 € for it (instead of its usual ~24 €). :p)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

that wine is way more expensive in the US, usually $35-40. A big outlier vs. other Gavi prices.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yeah, definitely. Most Gavi (di/dei Gavi) are about 8-10 € here and delicious, though mostly less delicate/nuanced than this one.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Marcel Deiss Alsace Blanc 2011

[​IMG]

Pretty rich. Nice amount of acidity. Good Alsacian wine.

Don't worry, guise, I won't spam pics anymore for the next few months. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

I would, but I won't be drinking much in the next few months.

1 person likes this.
  16. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Gome have you had the Bart that Chambers is pimpin'? Delicious category?

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

not sure, I'm (oddly) not on their list. what is it?

18. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Gilles Lafouge
    2012s from Martin Bart and Gilles Lafouge; Lovely Burgundies, Great Values!!

"Value" and "Burgundy" are words that don't frequently go together and yet these two estates consistently produce beautiful wines which we are able to offer at extremely reasonable prices. The 2012 vintage is particularly successful for both Bart and Lafouge with the wines showing great purity of fruit, bright acidity and great terroir expression and balance. (Please note: Bart Rosé and Bourgogne Rouge arrive Monday 3/30.)

Domaine Jean and Gilles Lafouge, Auxey-Duresses: There is excellent vineyard work here, in the process to becoming organic, with very short pruning. Hand-harvesting and wild-yeast fermentations of course, about 25% new oak, minimal batonnage for the whites and natural clarifications. Jean and his son Gilles are quiet, friendly and modest. Their wines in some ways reflect their personalities - always balanced and subtle with lovely fruit and precise expression of the terroirs. Says John Gilman in The View From the Cellar "The reds here are lovely, soil-driven and beautifully balanced wines with the ability to drink well early on and yet age gracefully for at least fifteen to twenty years. The Lafouge reds are extremely elegant and refined examples of Auxey-Duresses and offer impressive complexity and depth... and are amongst the very finest Burgundian values of which I am aware."

Domaine Martin Bart, Marsannay: The affable Martin Bart inherited part of the Clair-Dau estate including vines in Bonnes Mares and Clos de Bèze but the principal holdings are in Marsannay, including the fine lieu-dit of "Champs Salomon." Here the style is a bit more concentated, with the full, ripe character balanced well by the brightness of the 2012 vintage. The "Champs Salomon" is a great expression of this fine mid-slope parcel, while the "Les Echezots," higher and exposed more to the north, is especially pretty, a bit lighter and drinks beautifully young. And of course the Marsannay Rosé and Bourgogne Rouge will be great additions to summer barbeques and picnics....

https://www.chambersstwines.com/Articles/4432/newsletter

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

huh, interesting. Not familiar with it, but I do believe that Chambers St. does a great job selecting their wines, so I'd give it a shot. Maybe I'll pick some up next week (if I remember).

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

if I lived or worked near that store, I'd be dead broke

3 people like this.