• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh yeah, not knocking on the deductive tasting method or anything. Earlier in my wine education career, I focused a lot on notes and descriptors, but it wasn't until tasting more that I really understood a region or a vineyard, etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Piob what about yields, percentages, alcohol content? I know general stuff but not specific numbers
Damn going to need to study tonight. Totally underestimated this class
I'm having a glass of petillant from avigno vi d'agulla from the penedes and this is a damn good sparkling. Going to seek this one out

If I knew you were taking this I totally would have signed up as well. That would have been fun.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

oh yeah, not knocking on the deductive tasting method or anything. Earlier in my wine education career, I focused a lot on notes and descriptors, but it wasn't until tasting more that I really understood a region or a vineyard, etc.

And you do this with Italy? I am a pretty structured mechanical learner. I need to understand a region and get a feel for what it is I am tasting. I find France to be pretty easy as far as this goes. Every time I venture into Italy I get confused and terrified.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i do that because of Italy. knowing 9 obscure grapes didn't do a whole lot to help me understand a DOC. Tasting a whole lot from that DOC did.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

over the years, I have learned that there is really no substitute for tasting more and more wines.

I have a wine distributor friend for whom this is a primary requirement for his sales staff. He doesn't care if they're a somm etc if they don't have deep experience trying wines and knowing from experience.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pboop I shoulda told you earlier. I got off the wait list not too long ago.

There was some douchebag that kept guessing obscure grapes from Italy.

Italy scares the crap out of me too.

TIL I still have no idea what picpoul cinsault aligote or even Pinot meunière taste like on their own much less add and that I know very little about the new world except the us. Couldn't even guess the syrah although I could probably count with one had the number of times I've had it.

What I appreciate the most is the blind deductive tastings with three well experienced knowledgeable master sommeliers. The class analyzes first and then offers a guess and then we get to see what the wine actually was
and more often than not we guess right. We did only taste wines faithful in typicity tho some of which were the first I've ever had like a chinon. The sommeliers then guide you through what typical wines are like and shoot down suggested wines (eg it couldn't have been a Riesling cuz the stone fruits really aren't there, there's too much vegetable notes etc). They also reinforce tricky beginner concepts like high acidity hiding behind high sugar, sweet vs fruity, intensity of color, viscosity (honestly this one is IMO misleading and maybe semiretarded and possibly useless. It's not like looking at legs does something different or better than tasting).

The knowledge portion of the class is whatever. You could pick that stuff up reading a book. The guided tasting is irreplaceable.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been taking a lot of books out from the library about wine pairing, tasting and stuff. Come from a family where Yellow Tail is the pinnacle of fancy.

It's obvious that drinking the stuff is the best way to learn, but can anyone direct me to some great books on the subject for a beginner? I'd really just like to learn the vocabulary at this stage, don't want to look like a wiener when I walk into a class.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've read idiots guide and the wine bible. Ive been meaning to pick up Sotheby's cuz the other two ESP the wine bible is really outdated.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score

I've been taking a lot of books out from the library about wine pairing, tasting and stuff. Come from a family where Yellow Tail is the pinnacle of fancy.
It's obvious that drinking the stuff is the best way to learn, but can anyone direct me to some great books on the subject for a beginner? I'd really just like to learn the vocabulary at this stage, don't want to look like a wiener when I walk into a class.

My best advice is to find a tasting group. It will be intimidating at first, but you'll learn way more from tasting and conversing with knowledgeable people than you will from books.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Netflix has plenty of DVDs on topic that can give you all the basic and into intermediate vocab and some knowledge base.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everybody passed. Exam was pretty straightforward. Some tricky ones but other wise doable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Congrats! Wear that pin proudly.

Just do a search for "wine" and they'll pop up. There's a couple of great ones on Italy, a two or three disk series from Jancis...lots of stuff.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plebeian wines tonight, perhaps some fireworks this weekend tho!

208707_858524582824_1177976654_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads