• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

ryansmith

Reaction score
Last night I brought over a bottle of 04 Chateau Lagrange that I was hoping to store for a bit longer, but needed something last minute for dinner.
Decanted two hours. Very consistent, medium body style. Great classic bordeaux bouquet with this leafy green and earthy element. I likened it to running around in a big, open garden.
A touch of oak and licorice on the palate with dark fruits. Nice modern style, nice length.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Pity Ontario:

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...ce-is-going-up

While Premier Dalton McGuinty wants savings passed on to consumers, the LCBO has a policy of "social responsibility" which prevents them from bringing prices down to a level which would encourage alcohol abuse.

"It's counter-intuitive. Tax rates are decreasing because of the harmonization, but the prices on the shelf are actually going to be increased," warned one senior industry official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to fear of retribution from the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

"And that's going to surprise consumers. They should be expecting a reduction."

That's because the LCBO has quietly increased its mark-up by 7.5 per cent. On imported wines the mark-up has soared to 71.5 per cent from 64 per cent, and on domestic wines it has risen to 65.5 per cent from 58 per cent.
This "harmonized" sales tax is merely a refinement of the national sales tax. If I was paying attention properly, to the folks bitching back home, they've lowered the % of the tax but put it on more items and services, i.e. real estate sales. So booze should be dropping, as the tax will be lower...but instead, the LCBO is raising mark ups!
laugh.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
IMG_0896.jpg

An old friend. Very smokey, cinnamon and cola on the nose, jammy, smokey, peppery, cherry on the palate. Very light tannin, just enough for structure, and enough acid to cut through any food on your tongue.

Just nice.

UGH!! I hate you!!!!
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

laugh.gif

tricota

Reaction score
Enjoying a nice young, ripe, feisty, and full bodied red Aussie....

Might have a glass of wine later....

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota

rimshot.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota

Nice = Euphamism for "not a total dog"
Young = legal in AUS, not anywhere else
Ripe = does not believe in bathing
Feisty = means always wins the argument
full bodied = >200lbs

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Y'All see this?

read this a while ago in my paper copy. Another vintage of the century. I'm interested in seeing how the prices fare this time around, especially in comparison to the 2005 vintage.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I don't know if this means the wine is going to be amazing or just that it means it's going to be fruit-heavy and light on terroir.

This!

Unless his palate has changed and he's reconsidered is opinion on the '82 vintage
patch[1].gif
Or his skeptical position on the "mystical importance of terroir" After all he often said himself that C'est l'homme qui fait la difference"

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
killed a bottle of rioja tempranillo tonight. 2 euros for a bottle. it was delicous and paired perfectly with a nice robusto

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"He says it will prove far superior to most vintages and not far off the quality of 2005 and 2000. Eighteen wines are given scores of 98 to 100, which is remarkable, even in a great vintage."

But the headline says "...best in decades..."

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
"He says it will prove far superior to most vintages and not far off the quality of 2005 and 2000. Eighteen wines are given scores of 98 to 100, which is remarkable, even in a great vintage."

But the headline says "...best in decades..."

It's this kind of wishy washy waffeling that keeps Parker 100% right a 100% of the time
peepwall[1].gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Visit to the wine store tonight from some moderately priced daily drinkers (well...upper end of moderately priced, perhaps). Decided to try out some Frenchy wines I wasn't familiar with. Hope I picked good. Here we go: Broad shot of the haul:
869b9aa1.jpg
3 reds (2 beaujolais, 1 cote du rhone), 3 whites (1 pouilly fuisse, 1 pouilly fume, 1 vouvray). A little closer on each:
3a27a865.jpg
13785c29.jpg
Tonight's bottle is the 2007 Bereziat Brouilly.
8ca73fe3.jpg
Lots of pepper on the nose. Very light, but not insubstantial. This is not the cheap Beaujolais you drink for Thanksgiving. I like this very much. Pretty hot on the back end and the finish is not particularly long. But this is a refreshing light drinker and is priced accordingly ($16).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics