• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I really like the Wiemer wines, which I'd not had or even seen until I moved to the east coast in 2011. I also generally like the Antinori wines across the board. I find them to generally be really solid, varietally correct for the most part, and good values. I like their restaurant in Florence too.

Tonight I have the 95 Mondavi Reserve in the decanter. It's a very good bottle, straddling CA and Bdx. Still showing a core of primary fruit, but also showing some secondary characteristics, nicely balanced. Just a really enjoyable wine. If more CA cabs were like this I'd drink a lot more CA cabs. As it is, only a handful of CA wineries make cabernet in this style these days. And I'm not sure even Mondavi does anymore, lol.

Those 90s Mondavi Reserves are great, and the prices are still a bargain, IMO.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Most of the mid 90s Mondavi Reserves I have I purchased from Winebid for around $70. Not cheap, but for what it is, it is a relative bargain.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The most consistent winery in BC, in my opinion.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still on my white burgandy kick. Any suggestions including vintage?

I've been buying a lot from the Chassagne_Montrachet region.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

The most consistent winery in BC, in my opinion.

That's a Bordeaux bottle and I thought they were big on Pinots there? I have to say I want to do some tasting of them.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a Bordeaux bottle and I thought they were big on Pinots there? I have to say I want to do some tasting of them.

Good eye. It's their Bordeaux blend- it's the first time I've had it anywhere but the actual vineyard. I have a problem with most northern Okanagan reds, but these guys winemaking style seems to jive with what I like. Smoke, pencil, soil.

Really good. I actually do prefer their Pinot Noirs the most, but this is definitely a contender. Luckily, the local grocery store just started carrying them for $10 a bottle cheaper than the other grocery store down the road.

If you try any Pinots from this region I recommend Ex Nihilio or Liquidity. There are others, but these two are the ones that stand out to me the most for their Pinot Noirs and Bordeaux blends.

alexg

Reaction score
When is the best time to go to Napa early in the year? Looking to go by probably May, but I've never been so I don't really know what to expect. I'm also going to be going to the French Laundry if that makes a difference. I think I'm set on winery recommendations, but if there's anything else I should definitely do there I'd appreciate any tips. I've never even been to California actually so it's totally new.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
When is the best time to go to Napa early in the year? Looking to go by probably May, but I've never been so I don't really know what to expect. I'm also going to be going to the French Laundry if that makes a difference. I think I'm set on winery recommendations, but if there's anything else I should definitely do there I'd appreciate any tips. I've never even been to California actually so it's totally new.

I would say you would get the smallest crowds typically in winter, from nov to feb. May tends to be pretty popular since the weather is warm (not too hot), with summer being the worst due to the large tourist traffic.

Driving from San Francisco to Napa would typically take about 1 hr 15 to 1 hr 30 minutes. If you plan to visit a large number of wineries I suggest staying at a hotel in the area.

Eric Michael

Reaction score

I really quite enjoy Chianti with a few years age on it... 4-8 years tends to be a sweet spot for me and I can usually find for about $16-20CAD. As a result, it's often an everyday drinker for me.
This example had soft & drying red fruit, acidity and a soft structure. Really delicious and starting to be a bit more evolved from bright red, fresh fruit.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GD Vajra Dolcetto - maybe I'm not a big fan of dolcetto? Wasn't bad, just meh

2014 Chateau Teulon Costieres de Nimes - G/S/M - got some of that braised meat, some pepper. Lighter side. The cork was a ***** to take out though. Finally ran the cork area under hot water (apparently warming the glass slightly expands it to make it easier) anyway it worked

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is that GSM a Full Pull? I think I might have some.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Total Wine had a sale on Old World wines today and it turned out to be a day mainly in Spain for me.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sent the San Felice, the 2010 Torre Oria and the Chateau Teulon home and put the rest of my FP wine in my wine locker. GF wasn't over the moon about the Chianti but did really enjoy the Teulon, which is good all around considering it's (marginally) less expensive. Did get a half case of that Italian Rose, but I think only 1-2 bottles are left after the holiday season

I got a Patricia Green release (2014 "Ludicrous" is the name) for the Willamette wine auction for my girlfriend's mother for Christmas and she really enjoyed it (to the point that she poured a half glass for her mother and a half glass for her husband and had the rest of the bottle herself). We're going to Napa in March with my girlfriend's parents, so I thought two more bottles of it and maybe another Patty Green might be a good "thank you" gift for letting me join

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52