• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I wear an old J.C.Higgins duck hunting jacket when I go thrifting. The leather gun-stock pad sits right under the shoulder strap of the old black naval gear bag that I use to put everything in. I hate collecting a pile of plastic Goodwill bags on the floor of my pantry. I use the poachers' pocket in the back of the hunting jacket to put my gloves and scarf in while I'm madly searching for Robert Graham shirts, 1980's Christian Dior ties, and square-toe Kenneth Coles.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
+1 I'm no lawyer but you see the guys on storage wars find "name brand" stuff all the time. What about those Big E jeans that Jarrod and Brandi found? I remember seeing the show...not sure if they showed the "tag" but they described them and if anyone was watching just had to pop onto google to get more info.... so what if they dont show the Oxxford or Brioni suit tag... pop onto ebay or google and anyone who's going to hit the thrift stores has one more name brand added to the list.

That all being said. I highly doubt this is going to have an impact...at least on me. there's nothing here in NJ to worth even thrifting (aka all you guys stay away)
fight%5B1%5D.gif
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

A few weeks ago, I came across a guy with a list while thrifting. If you guess right, this list had most of the high end quality brand in it. This guy would not know the difference between flat front and triple pleats pants or anything about clothes at all. He went on to grab a beige Brioni Roma suit jacket tagged 42L, but have been altered to a 40R or less. I hardly talk to anybody when I thrift, but I had to educate him on that, he looked at me as if I am an alien. This guy and many others have no clue why a Brioni is a Brioni or what set it apart form J. Ferrar an so forth, they just know that they sell on ebay.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, pretty good day for me.  First the more pedestrian stuff, but great for me since most of it's my size  :D .

Zegna, Zegna, Pink, BB, BB, BB.

Had 3 other BBs in equally desirable colors that will make for great weekly wears but didnt' want to bore you guys.  All the same size and clearly from the same donor (pristine condition), all fresh from the drycleaners.  Zegnas fit me, as do the BBs (
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
), and the Pink is earmarked...so, true bragging on this stuff; sorry!

Zegna, Zegna (50/50 flax/cotton, which I haven't come across before.  I think it's quite cool actually).

Aran Crafts 95 merino wool/5 cashmere.  Camera flash doesn't do it justice...beautiful classic red woven.  

This is a tank of a Pendleton jacket.  This thing is rad, IMO.  Super heavy, really cool color and design, and a weird back pocket flap thing I've never seen before (see spoiler).

This is the back of the jacket.  Both of those button spots open up for a "through-way" big pocket type thing.  Never seen something like this before.

Hickey Freeman SC, "woven in the British Isles"

Speaking of "currency" items (at least this pair)...

First ever Aquascutum!!

And last, but certainly not least, the piece de resistance (since I never find shoes)...

My first...

...and SECOND... 

...pair of Church's ever. YESSSSSSSSS!!

The top pair are Church's for Cheaney, bench made in England, size 11s...I'm a 12, but they're fine on length, but a bit narrow.  They are effing immaculate.  Bottoms are barely worn and they reek of new leather smell.  I'd honestly estimate that they were worn for less than 5 full work days, at most.  

.  I'm buying shoe stretchers and making those motherf*@$#rs work, damnit.  The second pair are patent leather (!!), Italian made, and in ridiculously good shape for patent leather...not a single scuff on them.  Size 9M.

If those are US 9s, I'd be interested. :)

And if they're Euro 9s, I'M interested. Where am I on the dibs list?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Andro - That is the fakest Gucci I have ever seen in my life, and Ive seen a lot.

Amadar - Heartbreaker on the women's - although a size EU 50 for women is like a size 18-20, which I don't think is in a normal range of production in women's wear. Usually, its 38,40,42,44. Maaayyybe 46 (XXL). Can we see the tag?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are yesterday finds:

Pendleton Jacket Sz M (Thinsulate lined):

DSCN0355.jpg

DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0357.jpg

DSCN0358.jpg

Pendleton Unstructured Jacket Sz L:

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

Hickey Freeman Suit Sz 46XL:

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

I normally would not have picked up this because it's an older label, but it is in exceptionally nice shape.

Last edited:

hyakku

Reaction score
Lol just read up on that thrifting wars series, not too worried myself. I gess since ill be moving from LA for law school I won't have to worry about the hordes raiding my beloved spots. I'm sure a few people will get into it briefly, but really, people thAt go occasionally aren't going to be finding kitons left and right, and they wont be going to places like goodwill or something. My only concern is that they might serve to raise prices in spots like goodwill hoping to catch new people with high prices for like Coach and LV bags. That said though, I'm usually in my spots when they open and on to my third or fourth store before people are even waking up.

Why has everyone been buying the **** out of Pendletons lately? I like them as shirts, but they don't seem THAT nice, or do they just sell well on the bay? Also, that Big E stuff is legitimately one of the first times I've heard of a luxury brand from a known maker in a while. Last time I think was learning about RLPL and Bl.

amadar

Reaction score

Amadar - Heartbreaker on the women's - although a size EU 50 for women is like a size 18-20, which I don't think is in a normal range of production in women's wear. Usually, its 38,40,42,44. Maaayyybe 46 (XXL). Can we see the tag?

Spoo, below are the pics of the back and front of the only tag attached. If it helps, p2p is 20" and shoulders are 17".

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dislike the gorge and button stance on that suit. Bet it's from the 80's.

It almost looks like it should be a three button. Again it was cheap and in good shape.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why has everyone been buying the **** out of Pendletons lately? I like them as shirts, but they don't seem THAT nice, or do they just sell well on the bay? Also, that Big E stuff is legitimately one of the first times I've heard of a luxury brand from a known maker in a while. Last time I think was learning about RLPL and Bl.

Old Pendleton stuff that is made in the US is really good quality.It also moves on the AAAC read forum.

MattR

Reaction score
Normally wouldn't post this, given its ubiquity, but I was surprised at the markdowns I found today. Not a thrift find, but I was back over at Nordstrom Rack for their clearance sale. They had their remaining BB Made in US shirts all on clearance for 75% off their prices. Grabbed a blue on blue striped number for $44 after tax. Not too shabby. To the NOVA fellas: they had lots of sizes left, if you're interested.

The guy at the front told me stores in our area will be getting new BB shipments starting Tuesday to restock. So I guess this turned out to be part PSA, haha.

Last edited:

ocooney

Reaction score
Have been following this thread as a lurker for some time and finally have had a day worth bragging about (although I did post the 100% Vicuna coat I found about a year ago). I'm keeping the Paul Stuart shirt, the Cuccinelli and the Andover shop jacket. If you're interested in any of the rest, let me know. Looking for sweaters in L, brown shoes in 11D or BB Slim fit 17 x 34 in staple colors. Thanks, :

Brioni, tagged size 40

Brunello Cuccinelli 100% Cashmere. We'll see how this looks after a trip to the cleaners.

Andover shop. Lots of Andover shop today, but this fits nicely:

L-R Top: Oxxford, Hermes, Sulka. Bottom: Oxxford, Brioni, Brioni

Barbera. Scoured the store for the pants to no avail. But with the patch pockets and pattern, should be ok as a jacket. 21" P2P; 19" Shoulder (quick measurement)

]

[
Paul Stuart

Not a fan of calling something NWOT, but this is close. Bedale in black tagged 36:

/[URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1320096/width/350/height/467]
[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads