• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nell

Reaction score
Two Brioni spread collar shirts in light and medium blue (17.5) and a green striped Charvet with french cuffs (16). The Brionis have enormous MOP buttons. They'll be up on B/S for little more than what the overpriced thrifts here charge. Also a Loro Piana Zelander cloth tweed blazer, size 46. Picked it up for the buttons, but will proxy if anyone has any interest.

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Well, I had a thrift victory on Sunday: A Norman Hilton 3/2 roll blue sport coat. My size, fits great. The best jacket find I've had in two years.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two Brioni spread collar shirts in light and medium blue (17.5) and a green striped Charvet with french cuffs (16). The Brionis have enormous MOP buttons. They'll be up on B/S for little more than what the overpriced thrifts here charge. Also a Loro Piana Zelander cloth tweed blazer, size 46. Picked it up for the buttons, but will proxy if anyone has any interest.

PM'd.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Sorry for the crappy pics, will have some better ones when i get my camera back.

Backs of the ties

tiebacks.jpg

Fronts of the ties

tiefronts.jpg

Some of the ties

redties.jpg

somemoreties.jpg

someties.jpg

I'll give you $250 for the lot. Its a quick profit for you and a lot less work.

[

quote name="Nell" url="/forum/thread/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/16635#post_4734263"]^ Unreal amount of ties.

I stopped by a place called Gloryland today, and glorious it was. Picked up a Corneliani jacket that fits like a glove (I'm 19 and prefer my attire to be disgustingly fitted) and a Brioni DB 6/2 nazy blazer. Nice peak lapels and green buttons, but it's too long for me. 38/39L. I'll throw up some pictures if anyone is interested. [/quote]

Interested dependent on upon price.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found something interesting today. Not sure if it's legit, but it looks to be a Smashing Pumpkins demo tape if that's possible. It's from 1991 and is definitely a studio length tape at maybe 20-30 minutes. It only has 4 songs, a couple from Gish and then two others. It also says Hut recordings which was a sub-label of Virgin. The tape insert is pretty cheap looking so it could easily be someone's home-made copy. But the tape itself does appear to be a studio tape, so who knows. Looking forward to listening to it when I have a chance.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Wow! If legit, that would be an amazing score! Even if it isn't, it's still a cool find! When I look for cassettes, I just keep my eye out for the old solid plastic cased Ampex cassettes from the early 70s. I'd pass right over something like that and wouldn't even know it!

PS: Can you post/point me to a couple images of good examples of rocker style suits? Used to be a rock writer (it doesn't pay the bills when you have kids and a mortgage so you have to grow out of it at some point...but you forever remain one at heart, heh) and I'm getting tripped up in Mods vs Rockers of the Who era or hitting current GQ spread with MGMT in it. Am curious and not completely up on style vernacular. Thanks

Here is one that I found about 8 years ago. The 60's mod/rocker stuff is getting super hard to find nowadays because of all the vintage shops as well as the hipsters snatching them up. That plus the fact that they are about 40 + years old now and not that many are still around. The stuff is pretty easy to spot - you could just see Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones or Dave Davies of the Kinks wearing this around 1966-1967. Pants will most always be flat fronted with wide belt loops and cool details like patch pockets (or front pockets like on this example) on the pants and crazy linings.

DSC08925.jpg

DSC08926.jpg

DSC08927.jpg

DSC08928.jpg

MXERPAC

Reaction score
How often would you guys say the stores turn over? Trying to decide when to return to the two near me.

Only other close one would run about $40 in gas round trip.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what stores. Stores I frequent get stuff everyday so I try to hit them 3-4 times a week to let them restock a bit, yet to still get a chance to get the good stuff before it gets picked over. Others I know of still have stuff on the racks from last year! It all depends on the stores...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Haven't had much luck in a while but stopped at a store I hadn't in a couple weeks that's a usual part of my weekly drive home thrifting night. Found a pair of Made In USA PRL loafers that fit me perfect:

Then found a brand new looking Brooks Brothers chambray blazer that fits perfect:

Found a great looking orphaned Holland & Sherry navy windowpane jacket that was a hair too small for me but looked perfect but couldn't find the pants anywhere. Finally decided I shouldn't buy it but spent 10 minutes walking in circles with it because there was an obvious flipper who was piling her cart high in the suit section and I didn't want her to have it.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green pattern Brooks Brothers tie that appears to be unworn found for $3 tonight.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found a great looking orphaned Holland & Sherry navy windowpane jacket that was a hair too small for me but looked perfect but couldn't find the pants anywhere. Finally decided I shouldn't buy it but spent 10 minutes walking in circles with it because there was an obvious flipper who was piling her cart high in the suit section and I didn't want her to have it.

I'll bet I know who it was too. The older lady with the glasses and her hair in a bun right? At the Ridgedale GW? Wonder what she made out with? Did it look like anything decent?

Trying to figure out if it's even worth going out tomorrow or not.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone recognize thisLauren label? Its on a navy blazer and I've never seen a Lauren line with that particular label before.

photo-12.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Found something interesting today. Not sure if it's legit, but it looks to be a Smashing Pumpkins demo tape if that's possible. It's from 1991 and is definitely a studio length tape at maybe 20-30 minutes. It only has 4 songs, a couple from Gish and then two others. It also says Hut recordings which was a sub-label of Virgin. The tape insert is pretty cheap looking so it could easily be someone's home-made copy. But the tape itself does appear to be a studio tape, so who knows. Looking forward to listening to it when I have a chance.

Thats awesome. I was a major SP fan back in the day. I may listen to Siamese Dream again tomorrow during my walk. They were the worst band ever live though, and I fell off the wagon soon after that. Let me know if anything on that tape is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads