• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is toxic. Added at least half an hour to the store visits to check women's and kids' sweaters for Polo bears, electronics etc for Frenchy and Nataku stuff (I still refuse to look at the records, Nataku), jeans for Big Es with red selvadge, women's scarves for pocket squres, leather goods for a green breast wallet
biggrin.gif
. I am glad nobody is specializing in porcelain knick knacks. This hobby is becoming untenable. I was happily hobby thrifting for 20 years without reading you guys. Now I have a financially self sustaining, however mucho time consuming hobby. The family will revolt any time, now.

twosaabs

Reaction score
Hi - a Newbie here. I did a similar post on the ID forum. Didn't get a reply. Wondered if anyone here could help me to ID a pair of English 'Country' shoes I picked up at a thrift shop. Label is worn through. I can make out an impression in certain light angles but can't read name. Not sure if name was just the seller or the maker. The logo seems to be either an inverted triangle or a large V. Print also contains the words Shoe Number.... The soles are Itshide Commando. Pictured posted. By the way, I've cleaned and polished these since taking the photos. and they look pretty decent. Cost was $2.00.

Any help appreciated.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
This thread is toxic. Added at least half an hour to the store visits to check women's and kids' sweaters for Polo bears, electronics etc for Frenchy and Nataku stuff (I still refuse to look at the records, Nataku), jeans for Big Es with red selvadge, women's scarves for pocket squres, leather goods for a green breast wallet
biggrin.gif
. I am glad nobody is specializing in porcelain knick knacks. This hobby is becoming untenable. I was happily hobby thrifting for 20 years without reading you guys. Now I have a financially self sustaining, however mucho time consuming hobby. The family will revolt any time, now.

look for Marantz or Macintosh especially (not the Apple company,the Receiver manufacturer)

mco543

Reaction score
Went back today for RLPL polo and someone else snagged it, sorry guys. Also, I hit up a couple new spots, a Goodwill where everything has a set price and theres none of that boutique pricing garbage. I came away with an awesome Brioni blue/white check shirt for $3.99. They also had no fewer than a dozen vintage 3/2 Brooks suits some with vests and a shawl collar tuxedo all with the crotch blown out. Found another little hole in the wall thrift where all the suits were 44.99 and every single one of them had the price double stapled through the lapel of the jacket. Brioni shirt
photozdh.jpg
Anyway to date it from the name tag?

amadar

Reaction score
Not sure what to think of these....but I have a feeling I did well for $7. Moreschi (Crocodile?) tassel loafers.....look to have been worn maybe 2 times. Not my size but I figured I'd take a chance on them. Anybody have any knowledge on these? Exotic skins are way beyond me!
DSCN0496.jpg
DSCN0497.jpg
DSCN0498.jpg
DSCN0499.jpg

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I got quite a haul today. Hopefully some of you can tell me if the deals are good.

First: a Hart, Scharffner & Marx herringbone SC that feels bulletproof. Red tag special = $8.
HartSchaffnerMarxon.jpg

I'm not crazy about the black leather buttons, but it fits great.

2nd: Navy Zanieri super 100s blazer, about $16. Also not crazy about the buttons, but the fabric is very nice, and it looks brand new. All of the front pockets are still sewn shut, and there are spare buttons in the inside pocket. I resisted buying a navy blazer for so long, but had to give in.
Zanieri.jpg

Lanvin tie, $5, and Johnston & Murphy cap toes $10. There was another Lanvin tie that I almost bought for the name, but it was pretty worn out and felt stiff - like it was stained with something.
LanvintieJM.jpg

JohnstonandMurphyclose.jpg

Can anyone tell if these are shell cordovan? It's a different texture than I'm used to, but I have nothing to go by. They're made in Mexico, and the shoelaces have rubbed part of the tongue to a bright orangish red. Are they any good?
There was a pair of AE black cordovan longwings that seriously tempted me, but they were very beat up, with a deep scratch on the upper, so I passed.

Finally, a Burberrys shirt. $6. I was taken aback by the label ("Burberrys", not "BURBERRY"), but I discovered that they changed the logo a few years back.
Burberrysshirtlabel.jpg

Burberrysshirt.jpg

(Also note the $7 web belt from Army Surplus!)

I like all of it. Not a bad day, eh?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured it was too good to be true. I was just thrown off by a different texture to the leather - different from my other shoes. And it seemed fairly similar to the AE longwings at the store, which had "CORD" printed alongside the serial numbers.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I figured it was too good to be true. I was just thrown off by a different texture to the leather - different from my other shoes. And it seemed fairly similar to the AE longwings at the store, which had "CORD" printed alongside the serial numbers.
why didn't you pick up the AE's? Much better shoe than J&M typically. Shell cordovan will have no creases, just rolls. There are very evident creases on your shoes there.
49152564.jpg
see the rolls and now creasing?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judgment call. They were very worn out. I actually took a pic of the deep scratch on the upper, but it came out blurry, so you can't really tell.
scratchedlongwings.jpg

I suppose I could get them recrafted, but I'm also trying not to blow all my money on clothes!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2053e15e.jpg

A "Nan Duskin" Philadelphia stripe tie, all silk. A sawbuck. I love the colours. Probably more of a spring tie, but I couldn't help wearing it today since the temps broke 40 for the first time in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads