• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
recently found a Robert Wood landscape,thank god i got in touch with the robert wood estate and they confirmed it was a forgery (a very good one though,the only way they could tell is that they know who has the real painting)....FYI Robert Wood paintings go for around 60-90K
it was an auction so i had about a week to research it.
also just missed getting a mint 1940's Steinway Baby Grand that went for $12000,i only had 10K on me.
the guy already listed t on craigslist for $25K in my area

vinasity

Reaction score
^^^^^ wow you sure are on a roll... All I have found recently is this measly Dunhill tie
7a372633.jpg

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I even left 3 recent Brooks Bros. Golden Fleece suits, though they were pretty big.

I can only dream of having the luxury of being that picky. I wore my BB Golden Fleece suit today, by far my favorite suit. Navy flannel chalk stripe with ticket pocket. Not a thrift store find, but when I used to have a guy at BB looking out for me, he set it aside and I got it at the day after Christmas sale for 75% off.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
I can only dream of having the luxury of being that picky. I wore my BB Golden Fleece suit today, by far my favorite suit. Navy flannel chalk stripe with ticket pocket. Not a thrift store find, but when I used to have a guy at BB looking out for me, he set it aside and I got it at the day after Christmas sale for 75% off.

i saw a really nice italian made BB recently,surgeon cuffs etc with fabric by loro piana.i was actually shocked how nice it was.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup - they were never really super popular as to where you'd see 2-3 within a 1 mile stretch, but they were definitely around. With that said, it's been a good 20 years since I've seen one on the road around here. My dad had a green one when I was a kid which made me fall in love with them. I was never a big fan of the second gen. Scirocco, though.

Thanks! I'm counting the days 'till the snow and salt go away so I can drive her again.

I think they were more popular in Canada. Great car Nataku, you got lucky there and you're keeping it in great condition. It's a classic!

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I was browsing an old vintage/thrift store for a costume for a friends X-mas party (don't ask), and saw a large painting that looked rather nice. I purchased it and found the artist's info online, and sent them an e-mail. Turns out it was one of their first sold pieces from 1997, and they believe it to be worth in the $3000-$3500 range. I paid $50 for it.
redface.gif

Originally Posted by frenchy
recently found a Robert Wood landscape,thank god i got in touch with the robert wood estate and they confirmed it was a forgery (a very good one though,the only way they could tell is that they know who has the real painting)....FYI Robert Wood paintings go for around 60-90K
it was an auction so i had about a week to research it.
also just missed getting a mint 1940's Steinway Baby Grand that went for $12000,i only had 10K on me.
the guy already listed t on craigslist for $25K in my area

One thing I keep looking for but have NEVER found is valuable artwork. I wish I wish I wish!

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
83glt;3902142 said:
One thing I keep looking for but have NEVER found is valuable artwork. I wish I wish I wish![/QUOTE]

my grail is a LEICA camera,one day...one day

vinasity

Reaction score
frenchy;3902162 said:
Originally Posted by 83glt
One thing I keep looking for but have NEVER found is valuable artwork. I wish I wish I wish![/QUOTE]

my grail is a LEICA camera,one day...one day

I have seen a vintage Leica camera at thrift shop but they wanted around 200-250. I thought they where crazy but now I regret not buying it.
confused.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
vinasity;3902198 said:
Originally Posted by frenchy

I have seen a vintage Leica camera at thrift shop but they wanted around 200-250. I thought they where crazy but now I regret not buying it.
confused.gif

ouch...you walked away from a $750+ profit (at least)

RemyMichel

Reaction score
i walked away from a solid silver hip flask by Christofle for $30. I had no idea about the brand at the time.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
One thing I keep looking for but have NEVER found is valuable artwork. I wish I wish I wish!

My wife checks out pictures/paintings. My hope is too come across some vintage stereo equipment.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
P1020243-1.jpg

Nice! I worked at West Side for a little while and I think I only saw one scirocco come through the shop. For a while I have wished I could own a Corrado (or somehow find a 4-door mk2 GTI) but were I live now, owning a car isn't an option--let alone one where you would probably need to do a fair amount of work on it.

glimmerskin

Reaction score
Yves st. laurent wool DB overcoat. buton two show six. dark grey. had altered looks stunning.

pair of perfectly sized alden cordovan chukkas, light careworn great condition on consignment. amazing.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
It's always been the way around here, though what frustrates me is that the prices in the provincial shops are rising to match the metropolis. Nonetheless, I'll pay what it takes if I find a great item from a great brand. Today's haul:

Brooks Brothers makers tie, printed linen vintage for $1.50 (see below)

Norwegian-made sweater that looks identical to the classic LL Bean model. $18, had been considering ordering from Bean

sam2508.jpg

This actually looks better than the latest Bean editons (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63204?feat=594-GN1 and http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60845?feat=594-GN1 ) Nice find - especially for only $18.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.