• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Hearing about my thrift store exploits, I keep having different friends that want to go and I inevitably take them and buy even more stuff. My room closet is already full and my room is starting to fill up.

Today I got:
2 pairs of older Johnson and Murphy captoe bluchers (one in a rich medium/light brown and the other in black) and a pair of older burgundy captoe Bostonians (from when they were still made in the USA. I really like the brown Johnson and Murphy's and imagine I'll wear them a lot with jeans. The other two shoes will slot into my lineup for occasional wear. For $30 for the three pairs, it was nice to add some leather-soled depth to my shoe collection and these were all in great condition.

The woman working at the store was setting them out as I was waiting on my friend and I just kept picking up everything she put down. Apparently someone out there had very similar feet to me...

I also picked up a set of black braces and an older red plaid wool tie made in Scotland for Gant.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 46L Sartoria SaintAndrews double breasted grey pinstripe suit. Too big for me, but I grabbed it anyway in case anyone is interested. If no one here wants it, it's going on ebay.

Also, found a bespoke brown checked sportcoat, by H. Huntsman & Sons, made for wealthy New York philanthropist, publisher and politician Carter Burden. It has his name on the tag anyway, and it looks like it would have fit him. What I don't understand is how it ended up at the Goodwill now, since he's been dead for over 10 years. $5

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't this happen to me???
laugh.gif
And what would you all have done? Once I found a gift certificate inside of a book in a used-book store for $15 to REI, and I kept it and used it to buy some Nalgene water bottles. With $1,000 I would have bought some chestnut grants. Girl, 11, turns in $1,000 found at Salvation Army store With huge investment banks going belly up and bank CEOs standing in line to pull the rip cord on their golden parachutes, an 11-year-old Big Island girl can help teach the world about doing the right thing. Mikela Mercier was shopping with her mother at the Salvation Army Family store in Kona when she paused to look at a Richard Simmons VHS exercise videotape. When she slipped off the cardboard jacket to look more closely at the tape cassette, out popped a wad of cash. Realizing it must of been a mistake, young Mikela made a beeline for the store manager and turned in the money. "When I discovered the money, I immediately looked for my mom who was inside the dressing room and I told her, 'We got to give it to the man,' " Mikela said in a news release issued by the Salvation Army. A sixth-grader at Ke Kula 'O 'Ehunui Kaimalino Hawaiian Immersion School found the store manager and handed over the $1,000 she had just discovered. Store manager Jimmy Thennes said it was "truly remarkable that Mikela instinctively knew the right thing to do." "I truly admire her honesty," Thennes said in the news release. Jodi Mercier, Mikela's mother, said she is very proud of her daughter. She said Mikela had "chicken skin" after finding so much cash, but knew that the money rightfully belonged to the Salvation Army so the agency could help people in need. As a token of its appreciation, The Salvation Army has offered the girl a gift certificate she can use the next time she shops at the thrift store. HILO » Mikela Mercier is an athletic girl, but even her father, Terry, thinks it was a little odd for her to be interested in a used video featuring exercise guru Richard Simmons during a visit to a Kona Salvation Army store on Saturday. He knows his 11-year-old daughter was checking for mold on the tape, but still he added, "Only Mikela would open a Richard Simmons video." When Mikela slipped off the cardboard jacket, she found $1,000 in cash in $100 bills. The discovery gave the Kona girl "chicken skin," she said. "When I discovered the money, I immediately looked for my mom, who was inside the dressing room, and I told her, 'We've got to give it to the man,'" she told Salvation Army officials. Store manager Jimmy Thennes is still marveling at her honesty. "It's truly remarkable how a young girl like Mikela instinctively knew the right thing to do. I truly admire her honesty," he said. Her father added, "Mikela is happy to know it's going to a fund to help needy people at Christmas." Mikela is unusual in other ways. Part-Hawaiian, she was adopted at age 2, along with her sister, now 14, by the Merciers, who came to Kona from Minnesota. Mikela has been active in track, basketball and hula, where her kumu has given her some background in Hawaiian language. Still, it was a big jump when she made the choice this year, entering the sixth grade, to leave English-language schools and enroll in 'O 'Ehunui Kaimalino Hawaiian Immersion School. Immersion school rules say her parents have to learn Hawaiian, too. "We're all doing catch-up," her father said. http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...urns_1000.html

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of AE Park Avenues in my size yesterday. The heel liners are pretty shredded but the uppers are in good shape and they have recently been resoled.

Paid $7.99 for the shoes + $30.95 for new heel liners and a clean and polish = $38.94 for a new looking pair of PA's.

Also picked up 2 like new Talbott BOC ties (not xtra-long this time!). They're nice, but I might decide to sell them on B&S.

devin

Reaction score
At the Clocktower Salvation Army in Herndon, VA:
Oxxford DB gray flannel, 48R -- Rack nearest door, about opposite the yellow shirts

A Field's custom odd jacket with a paddock style button stance in slubbed fabric (maybe some kind of blend, very nice), probably a 39R but with some bespoke oddities (center vent is very low/shallow) -- Rack nearest door, right up near the front opposite the white shirts.

Some misc Hickey and BB in various sizes.

Better hurry, the place was lousy with Halloween shoppers. I appreciate the revenue boost they give SA, but they tend to clog up the place.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I went to my regular spot today. It was full of people looking for Halloween costumes. I scored with a mackintosh style jacket from the Sears Mens Store (back when there was one) for $13.00and a full length Ralph Lauren Polo full length navy coat for $20. It's extremely soft and in amazing condition.

There was one item that I lamented leaving behind. It was a beige Ralph Lauren coat from Unversity Club line. I've been looking for a jacket like it for a while. I had to pass on it because it exceeded my limit on mothbites. It had 6-7 and I only allow 1.
confused.gif

Nashville

Reaction score
I found a double vent Brioni Blazer " expressly for San Carlo Paris London" Guys its absolutely beautiful It wont fit me < so i bought it for one of you guys I could not leave it!! The tag says Taglia 50 R , Im a 48 Long and It way to small for me . when my camera charges up I will post picks to see if any of you guys are interested I know its not the forsale sction but I wanted to give my diehard thrifters a chance first, (I just found a europe to US suit sizing chart the blazer is a US Size 40 regular)

brionisportcoat005.jpg

brionisportcoat008.jpg

brionisportcoat006.jpg

brionisportcoat009.jpg

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexor12
You guys are lucky, i never get close to anything like the finds in this thread - but i always get my hopes up after getting my update here... one day it's my turn!!!

It would have been much sweeter if they jacket FITTED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexor12
You guys are lucky, i never get close to anything like the finds in this thread - but i always get my hopes up after getting my update here... one day it's my turn!!!

I've been having a decent run as of late, but were my arms a bit shorter I'd have even better stuff as of late. I've taken a friend with me who is slightly more normally proportioned, and he has had a hugo boss suit, several jpress blazers, and some other really nice stuff.

I'm happy that halloween is over so "normal" people will stop picking over my stores.
boxing[1].gif

I lived in a city where I didn't have a car for a long time, now that I have one, my thrift store addiction has become even worse as it's more convenient to just pop in every week when I do my grocery shopping a few buildings down.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nashville
It would have been much sweeter if they jacket FITTED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif

Seriously, I usually end up leaving thrift stores with at least 3-4 things that I wish had fitted me.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
A 46L Sartoria SaintAndrews double breasted grey pinstripe suit. Too big for me, but I grabbed it anyway in case anyone is interested. If no one here wants it, it's going on ebay.

Also, found a bespoke brown checked sportcoat, by H. Huntsman & Sons, made for wealthy New York philanthropist, publisher and politician Carter Burden. It has his name on the tag anyway, and it looks like it would have fit him. What I don't understand is how it ended up at the Goodwill now, since he's been dead for over 10 years. $5

Is this in NYC?

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
Seriously, I usually end up leaving thrift stores with at least 3-4 things that I wish had fitted me.

well hopefully member in this thread will offer to buy it, It was so beautiful I could not leave it behind for someone who would not appreciate it......... Its a US Size 40 Regular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads