• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynWeGoHard
you ever find anything?

Thats worth bragging about? no, i just thrift underarmour work out clothes and if im really lucky some books.

nothing worth selling or bragging about.

You?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialConductor
I believe I was respectful. If you saw that three others suggested I read it and I said I happily will, why did you feel it necessary to repeat?

No need to be jerks to someone new.

Anyway I'm looking mostly for myself because I'm in graduate school and I've found I'm very broke. I wasn't happy with how off the rack was fitting(I'm only 5'6" and I conduct) I teach college coursework and want to dress like it.

As for asking about brands, I plan on picking up good stuff that isn't my size to pass onto to people here who care about it.

Now back to my homework.

1. I wasn't being a jerk. My reply was geared toward everyone here as much as it was geared toward you. Out of my last 15 posts I've probably made the same point 4 or 5 times. It doesn't speak well of this thread.

2. This thread used to be a gem. One just need look within a handful of posts of yours to see yet more useless garbage that no one wants to see, and most certainly isn't worth bragging about. I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of those who post these "finds" have joined within the last three months. It's not a newbie-bashing thing per se, but Jesus, how many times has it been said here to read the thread? So much valuable information it's unbelievable. Now, if I and others like me didn't care or were bashing newbies, we'd counsel against reading this thread in the hopes of keeping folks in the dark about what the stuff to look for is, presumably so more would be left for us. So it's also about sharing knowledge and building a community. It's grown wearisome though, and I'm about done with it. Maybe that's music to your ears?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lyon_BC
Hey guys I just got started but today I made a decent haul for a rookie I believe: Two brooks brothers french cuff shirts (perfect condition), BB chino's, and a Hickey Freeman Jacket....only problem is I'm not sure of the size...it feels like its a 38L or 39 possibly? I was wondering if I could get a little help identifying if it is of good quality, as I know Hickey-Freeman has a lower line....reason I'm asking is its not my size but I'd be willing to sell it if its of a decent quality bc the jacket is in excellent condition...sorry for being longwinded but here are some pics, any help identifying is greatly appreciated.
smile.gif
Here's a links to some pics: http://photobucket.com/Lyon_BC

Case in point.
Originally Posted by Nataku
So a friend of mine recently got a job at a Salvation Army thrift store. Same store that gave me my first job and really jump-started my clothing obsession. Things have changed a lot over the past 8 years. They now get a packet of brand names to memorize and they are catagorized into Good/Better/Best. I wish all the thrift stores used this list. Take a gander at what they've been putting a higher price on because they're the "best".
laugh.gif
P1040029.jpg

My goodness how far Bill Blass has fallen!
Originally Posted by ruben
Nataku, With all due respect, I think that's the wrong attitude. I love seeing all the rare, high end stuff people find, it's one of the reasons why I check this thread. Bu I see no problem with someone excited that they found a nice, staple color BB suit in their size, or a decent pair of AEs being excited and posting about it. Just because something isn't a high-dollar flip on ebay doesn't make it useless. Obviously, there are plenty of times that someone (usually someone new) doesn't really understand things, and you'll get 7 pictures of a dated HSM suit and London Fog raincoat, but by the same token there are plenty of near unwearable shirts an ties that get posted here solely because of the name on the label.
I agree with your last point wholeheartedly. But the "there are plenty of times" has steadily become the norm here.
Very true - I think it's all personal preference. I love seeing people's record finds, even when it's a fairly mainstream one and I know there are probably members on here who really couldn't care less. We all have differing interests regarding styles and other items we thrift. It doesn't bother me at all which is why I've never brought it up before. In my comment, it was mainly aimed at the polyester licensed YSL ties and the like that has been popping up here more and more frequently.
Yes. Nataku isn't an asshole like me. He's a nice guy and is well-respected here for good reason. If it gets to the point that even he is starting to comment on this trend it's cause for concern. The official thrift store bragging thread 2.0? We're getting close to 1000 posts (by my calculations we have about a week to go) what better way to celebrate than a reboot?

Xenos

Reaction score
Ties: Michele Sartori, BB Makers, vintage Valentino, Charvet, Gladson;

iPhone359.jpg

iPhone363.jpg

Shirts: RRL, Seize sur Vingt, Armani Collezioni, Etro, Billy Reid, Carroll & Co.,

iPhone357.jpg

and Tom Ford

iPhone371.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Ties: Michele Sartori, BB Makers, vintage Valentino, Charvet, Gladson;

Shirts: RRL, Seize sur Vingt, Armani Collezioni, Etro, Billy Reid, Carroll & Co.,

iPhone357.jpg

I love that Charvet tie. Also, Tom Ford in a thrift?! Amazing.

What size is that Billy Reid? If it's a L/XL and you want to sell, I call dibs!

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I need your guys advice.

Purchased a pair of dress shoes on here. Got a great deal and was happy with it. Received the shoes about 3 weeks ago but didnt have time to inspect because I was running late to get on a plane for a b-trip. Came back that following monday and my week was extremely busy. During that week I quickly looked at the shoe and told the seller thanks for the shoe but they were a little big. I asked him if he had any other ppl inquiring about the shoe because I wanted to sell it. Keep in mind before selling he was very prompt. After selling = rarely responds.

I was shining the shoes last weekend and I found there was a gash on the outerside of the shoe near the left heel. I was furious because why would a seller LIST an item that was defected and also SELL and item that was defected. I immediately told the seller why he would sell an item and if he knew of the gash. He didnt address this question. I told him he needed to contact me back to figure out a solution to this or I would contact paypal. He responded a few days later stating, "why am i overreacting? stop threatening me with paypal. this is not gentleman-like and etc." He also said he was busy because his wife was in the hospital. I immediately apologize because as we all know, family is more important and he said he had no time to check. Here's the thing though of why I think he's f*n bs with me. Look. Dont lie to me. Keep it honest and I'll be fine. This guy had the audacity to say he was busy but had time to update his current thread to sell his alden boots???? I look again and I find he posted something on "The Armoury" thread as well. If he was so f*n busy to not respond to my questions then how did he have the time to peruse through styleforum, right?

I'm THIS close to contacting paypal. What are my odds of winning? AM I the only one smelling bullshit?

Cheers

Don't you just love shady seller? If I were you, I would immediately write down the feedback on Buying and selling forum. Have you done that yet?

Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I didnt know that as I'm new to SF. I thought the rule of thumb was a personal payment.

You are 100% right. I can understand where he is coming from but I swear to you that I have not worn them AT ALL. Came home, tried it on in the house and just too big. I told him that and when he was unresponsive I decided to shine them to sell on here and that is when I noticed the gash. It's small but I should've thoroughly inspected. Lesson learned. I just hope I dont get burned.

sigh

This has happened to me one time. Interestingly, this seller who tried to screw me also did it to others so we all get together and scare the **** out of him by contacting the police at where he lives.

Before I contacted the police, I also contacted Paypal, but they were unable to help me because I used personal payment. The lesson that I learned from this was that I would NEVER use Personal payment with somebody who I barely know.

More importantly, I'm very sorry that this has happened to you!

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Ties: Michele Sartori, BB Makers, vintage Valentino, Charvet, Gladson; Shirts: RRL, Seize sur Vingt, Armani Collezioni, Etro, Billy Reid, Carroll & Co.
I love that Charvet tie. Also, Tom Ford in a thrift?! Amazing. What size is that Billy Reid? If it's a L/XL and you want to sell, I call dibs!
Ditto, re: Charvet, and the Valentino and Glasdon are interesting, at the least. And I call dibs if the Reid's a medium
smile.gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my humble opinion, but it it's not salable, there's a reason for it. Most of the stuff in here is desirable. Stuff other people will be jealous of (hence the word bragging). There's a lot of stuff I buy that most people don't care about and probably couldn't even sell it for $5, but I never mention any of it.

I think there's an excitement level curve that drops with experience. When your first find is a weirdly patterned, 3 1/2" Zenga tie, you want to let the world know. After the 10th...not so much.

I'm not that many days beyond those first posts so I know the thrill of finding an item that maybe 97% of the population didn't recognize. It would seem that this thread has evolved from a bragging thread to a combination brag/education thread.

Maybe someone needs to start an "Official Thrift Finds~Appraisal" thread for people to post all those big pics for others to comment on in order to learn the ropes a bit.

I'd do it myself but I have to iron my boxers right now.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Fantastic finds, Dig! Now put those to application in WAYWRN!
smile.gif

I'm getting PMs about them. Not sure what to do yet. On the one hand, I love them. On the other, I'm in a frenchy kinda mood, yanno?

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
how would I determine if they were "shell"? I don't see them being labeled as such. I searched and found a thread that was supposed to have pics showing the difference but they were all hosted on imageshack.

Not shell. Can be determined both from the pictures, and the fact that they are the Sanford model, which is a fine shoe, but calfskin only.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
I'm getting PMs about them. Not sure what to do yet. On the one hand, I love them. On the other, I'm in a frenchy kinda mood, yanno?

I dont blame you - but I think your look would benefit from at least 2 of these.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynWeGoHard
like the Gladson tie. fun for summer. is it linen?
Thanks! It's silk. Nataku and Bartlebooth, the Billy Reid is a Medium which fits me nicely, so I have no choice but to keep it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads